Good earbuds or headphones to take advantage of the Pandora's audio capabilities?

Odd4Life

Still Fresh
I've had my Pandora since late May this year and I've loved every moment of it, but I've finally started using it for music.  Once I read about the audio on it, I figured I might as well get something that can go well with it (and use FLAC files - hooray for my insistence on buying physical discs!).

Also, I saw some threads from 2011 and 2012 about using bluetooth headphones.  If possible, I'd like a recommendation for those as well as wired ones.  I'm fairly certain I can figure out connecting them with my pandora on my own with what's in the threads.  One question though - how do bluetooth headphones connect to devices?  Is there some sort of wireless jack, or does it go in the USB port?

My mom said she'd buy me a decent pair of headphones once I decided what I wanted, but I'm guessing around $60 is the limit.  Probably limits what I can get severely, but seeing as I have no idea what's good and what's not (aside from Apple earbuds being overpriced, bottom-of-the-barrel crap), I don't mind much.

Also, I saw some threads from 2011 and 2012 about using bluetooth headphones.
If you want to take advantage of the good audio hardware, that's definitely the wrong approach, as you just don't use it at all this way.

One question though - how do bluetooth headphones connect to devices?  Is there some sort of wireless jack, or does it go in the USB port?
Nothing at all. Bluetooth is a wireless standard already, and the Pandora already has a Bluetooth antenna - the rest is software.

Cheap but good big ones:

Sennheiser HD 201

(Beware the extremely long cable)

For In-Ear,

I use some good Panasonic-Plugs, which are not made anymore and were about 20€

Good external speaker:

Wavemaster MOBI Mini

Very good and loud sound for such a small thing and the battery lasts approximately 10hours, I have to check this number yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of those people that hate in-ear buds (I like to hear what's going on around me), so I use Sennheiser MX470 buds. They were the best quality 'affordable' buds I could find. For affordable bluetooth headphones, I use Creative WP-350, which are surprisingly good quality for the price. Both sound superb when used with the Pandora.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/creative-wp-350-headset/4505-13831_7-35108795.html

Koss Porta Pro are very affordable, you hear whats going on around you and they are extremely light and have as much retro style. Also they fold and thus are pocketable. Good bass.

I use these, PHILIPS SHP1900 Headphones. Aren't very portable but since I usually carry a backpack, I'm ok with those. Audio quality is very good (as far as my ears allows me to perceive).

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have one last question, though.  I saw that the earbuds my brother's HTC One came with had three "rings" on the jack as opposed to the two "rings" some of the devices recommended here had.  He let me try them and they fit into the Pandora, so I'm curious if two "rings" versus three "rings" makes any difference.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems that third "ring" means it had an integrated microphone or something along those lines.  Upon a closer look, it seems those earbuds do have a built in microphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, apple reversed the ground and mic, so if you press (and keep pressed) the talk button, and the sound is better, then it's apple compatible and not suitable for Pandora.

As for the sound, I got me these:

PMX_680_set_new.jpg

If you're on a budget, you can never go wrong with Sony MDR V6's.

Or maybe you can (V6s try to be flat, but some people find them tiring -- a little heavy on the ~10KHZ area but light on the sub-bass).

I still love them though.

I use some Bang and Olufsen earphones. Have had them for many years now. I like the sound they make, not too bassy, accurate.

bang_olufsen_a8_earphones_1.jpg

Back