Good Mp3 Player

MoTeL6MaN said:
you guys think this would be good as an mp3 player like when im at work and need something to listen to and another question will the pandora support sdhc cards something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820171349
because i would need alot of room for my music collection

Other posts from the devs have confirmed that SDHC will be supported, so there shouldn't be a problem using a card like that.

I'd imagine it'll have some form of media player app built in "out-of-the-box" since it's an obvious use of the hardware - MPlayer is already running on the hardware, and people are working on getting VLC running too)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the fast replies been very interested in the pandora for awhile now and i was thinking of buying an mp3 player but then thought well how well would it be on the pandora and i thought i saw that sdhc were compatible but couldnt remember again thanks for the replies

MoTeL6MaN said:
you guys think this would be good as an mp3 player like when im at work and need something to listen to and another question will the pandora support sdhc cards something like this:

It will be able to play MP3s, though it won't be the most discreet of devices (if you're trying to listen to them on the sly, so to speak) due to its size.

SDHCs are supported. That bit of information is on the main site, the wikis, and just about every article the Pandora has ever been in.

Pleng said:
MoTeL6MaN said:

It will be able to play MP3s, though it won't be the most discreet of devices (if you're trying to listen to them on the sly, so to speak) due to its size.

SDHCs are supported. That bit of information is on the main site, the wikis, and just about every article the Pandora has ever been in.

proprietary formats ei. mp3 will not be playable out of the box

To expand on what ish420 said, licensing issues prevent Pandora from shipping with media players pre-installed. Codecs aren't a free-for-all unfortunately; including them in a product sold for profit requires significant fees to be paid.

Of course, you'll be able to download what you need from the Pandora file archive. ;) We're expecting to see Mplayer pretty much straight away, and maybe some more elaborate media management apps soon after.

Pleng said:

It may be more discreet than you think. Sure, a Pandora my be huge compared to an iPod Nano, but the Pandora has bluetooth. If you get a decent pair of BT headphones you can keep the Pandora in your pocket or a backpack or anywhere nearby, and not have to worry about headphone cords. Not that big a deal for everybody, but it's worth considering.

Chip said:
Pleng said:

It may be more discreet than you think. Sure, a Pandora my be huge compared to an iPod Nano, but the Pandora has bluetooth. If you get a decent pair of BT headphones you can keep the Pandora in your pocket or a backpack or anywhere nearby, and not have to worry about headphone cords. Not that big a deal for everybody, but it's worth considering.
I hadn't thought of the bluetooth for anything other than tethering to your cell phone. Are there any other uses for the bluetooth?

i know this wont be as nice as some of the nicer mp3 players (eg:ipod, zune, ect) but it can do what i need
size wont be an issue with me as the pandora will fit in my pocket adn like you said i can also use bt headphones hopefully someone will make/port something like rhythmbox
cherrycyanide: you can use things like headphones, keyboards, mice, ect
me ill prolly upgrade my cell plan to have unlimited internet and sync the two and have internet at all times

Bluetooth can, with the right software, be used for all sorts of things. It's just a wireless communication protocol. Exchanging data/files between devices, using peripherals (from mice, keyboards through headphones up to GPS devices and printers).

There's interesting opportunities for utilising the wealth of bluetooth enabled devices out there today (including the obvious headphones but also some possibilities for pairing with game controllers like the Wiimote and DualShock controllers).

MoTeL6MaN said:
i know this wont be as nice as some of the nicer mp3 players (eg:ipod, zune, ect)
It might not be as small, but I wouldn't say it won't be as nice. It'll be better, especially as it will be customisable, non-proprietary, built in speakers, etc. :) For those few times when I can't carry it due to size I'll use my mobile phone with micro-sd card. Really must look into bluetooth headphones. Anybody tried any nice ones?

Don't forget, as the pandora is a clamshell its design is inheritanly flawed as an mp3 player.

by the way, 32 GB cards, while they SHOULD be fine as far as SDHC cards go, alot of devices still have problems with them.

Rivus said:
Also, you may want to perhaps look at this... Affordable 32 giggers are here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820178212

This 32GB card looks cheap and nice, but I've just googled to find out it's speed - it turns out to be 4 MB/sec ! Faster cards are more expensive of course.... I think that I'd rather buy 16GB with 15MB/sec at minimum...

TaG said:
Really must look into bluetooth headphones. Anybody tried any nice ones?
Seconded. As I've never owned a Bluetooth enabled device before, my knowledge of the available audio options is pretty slim. Could anyone share any thoughts?

Id quite like to try out some bluetooth headphones, but the only ones ive seen are over the ear type ones, I prefer the in-ear buds. Do the make bluetooth ones of them?

My friend got one of the new sony mp3 players that has bluetooth, unfortunately the top capacity one doesn't come with them (only the middle ranged one does) and he didn't fork out for them. The mp3 player allows you to sync your phone to it so that the music will pause when your phone rings. Anybody got any idea if something like that could be programmed for the pandora?

I've given some people the great etymotic in-ear headphones, and they nearly ruined their hearing because they didnt understand that when there is less background noise, it doesnt need to be as loud

Back