Good news for the Pandora

Well, bad news for the Average Joe android users
dry.gif

But there are alternative "app store", looks like the removed emulators are available on SlideMe for free.

Heh... many developers will be in two minds about this.

Still, it was surprising google allowed it to go on as long as it did.

Finally. Thieves deserve nothing better. I hope they get the money back from him somehow even though I don't think so. "cutting off his primary source of income"... do they really state his primary income is... crime???

I guess we're supposed to pity him....

This is a huge blow to those who use the Xperia play. I, for one, am glad that I stuck it out with the pandora. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally. Thieves deserve nothing better. I hope they get the money back from him somehow even though I don't think so. "cutting off his primary source of income"... do they really state his primary income is... crime???

Lying on his bed of money will probably cheer him up ;)

I hope Yongzh goes broke one day and finds himself on the streets where I can freely spit on his face.

Whats he done thats so bad, he packaged up software for the phone and maintained it,

It is nice when we get rewarded for things we work for

Well, this is not the right place to display your hate against anybody like this.

If you have personal problems with him, contact him directly.

Your post is not relevant.

Is the Xperia Play rootable? (IIRC it's what's needed to install software from sources other than the android store)

If it is, they'll probably be able to install emulators without major problems.

His crime of stealing code and ignoring licenses? Or making emulators? Cause emulators are legal. As Sony just mentioned, Bleem is to thank for that. They won their legal battle with the real Sony...just went bankrupt doing it. That's why small companies like our pals Craig and ED here have to be careful. Even if they are doing nothing wrong a big company could litigate them outta existence even if they win. One reason they went all BT on the iCP. any lawsuit woulda killed em, whether they won or not.

But back to the point. In the US, and most of the world, emulators are legal if they are reversed engineered and do not use stolen code or such from the console. ROMs on the other hand get tricky...

Android Police has a nice writeup on the issues at hand, including some of the applicable laws. There's some speculation at the end, but still an interesting read.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/29/n64oid-snesoid-and-other-emulators-pulled-from-the-market-developer-suspended-are-emulators-soon-to-be-banned-content/
Thank you for that. Twas a long read for me, but a good one, nonetheless, because some of the history was not known to me.

The grey area is something that is interesting too. One would think that they're doing right when in fact it's the complete opposite. Cheers. :)

The article needs to point out that the exemption for archival purposes of games because the hardware is not available is not for personal archives. Just the universities and libraries. And there has been no ruling as to what makes it not readily available. Does eBay count? Does third party hardware count? Patents are only 20 years in the US, then anyone can legally make a hardware clone. Once that happens is the hardware readily available again?

Article makes the exemption seem a bit broader than I think it actually is...

Is the Xperia Play rootable? (IIRC it's what's needed to install software from sources other than the android store)

If it is, they'll probably be able to install emulators without major problems.

Knowing Sony, and their history with homebrew, They will probably have some unorthodox measure to make it as difficult as possible to gain root.

I take that back, root is gain-able. There are even (expensive) Plays without locked boot loaders.

EDIT: It seems that the ones without network lock can gain root.

Back