Good Screen?

HexDump

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I have been following pandora since it all began. I have gp32 and gp2x F200, so I think I have been around for a while. One of the most important things I would like to see is a good fast and sharp screen. PSP is a really good console for emulation but its laggy screen makes my eye bleed. PSP screen has a really bad panel. Ok, with static images it looks pretty good but when scrolling, etc... It is not fast enough to avoid ghosting.

Could anyone from the pandora creators confirm this console will have a zero ghosting screen? I don´t want to spend money on a console that will hurt my eyes.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

It looks like it's high quality, does any other device use this specific model? Or is that information top secret?

CraiginatorLcd2.jpg

I got one of the first PSPs as an import which was ghosting hell.

My friends try to convince me that it became better soon after, and that the new lite version is much better.

Maybe you had one of the first ones.

On the pandora...

- brightness: 300 cd/m2
- contrast ratio: 450:1
- response time: tr + tf=30ms

To translate this. brightness is very very good compared to other handhelds. Contrast ratio is ok. and responce time is alright.

Responce time is slower than the upgraded sharp used in the PSP. The previous one was 40ms or 50ms. I can't remember.

So, it should be a blast. 800x480 on a 4.3" handheld with 300 cd/m2 will look amazing and bright.

The S&L screen is much improved. I don't have any emulators on mine and it's not hacked with the Pandora's Battery (it all comes back to Pandora huh?) so I don't know about ghosting in that area but I don't really notice any on the game and demos I got on my memorystick.

It's listed on wikipedia as:
Response Time: 15ms (30ms total for a full black-white-black cycle)

I know on a 16ms(grey to grey) monitor you can technically see the blur, but it's very very slight. You're not likely to notice it unless you're looking really hard for it.

About the screen, I've taken the time to make different images so you can get an idea of the Pandora screen size (93.6 x 56.2 mm).

Select your screen size and resolution from the following links, and you will (almost) see the real pandora screen size on your computer screen.

14 inches monitor @ 800x600 (71.42 dpi)
15 inches monitor @ 1024x768 (85.33 dpi)
17 inches monitor @ 1024x768 (75.29 dpi)
17 inches monitor @ 1280x1024 (96.42 dpi)
17 inches monitor @ 1440x900 (99.88 dpi)
19 inches monitor @ 1280x1024 (86.27 dpi)
19 inches monitor @ 1440x900 (89.37 dpi)
20 inches monitor @ 1680x1050 (99.05 dpi)
22 inches monitor @ 1680x1050 (90.05 dpi)

EDIT: How is it done? I've created a 93.6 x 56.2 mm box on Inkscape and exported it using the different dpi from each monitor.

By the way, Pandora has 4.3 inches 800x480 screen... that's 216.96 dpi!
How did they manage to do that extremely little pixels?

CoMiKe said:
I don't necessarily think that's so unusual, I think it's just that they don't often use that kind of dpi on account of how small the pixels are for regular systems. You couldn't do it on a Windows machine for sure, because it's just not made for that kind of a pixel density.

Thanks for doing that size thingy, by the way. It was very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zarneth said:

I know on a 16ms(grey to grey) monitor you can technically see the blur, but it's very very slight. You're not likely to notice it unless you're looking really hard for it.
It's different from person to person how much ms are enough to see the blur

I had read somewhere in the forums, that the new PANDORA Screen will have a LED backlight. True? And does the GP2X have a LED Backlight to?

For such a small screen area, I would have thought it would be inefficient and costly to use a tube?

CoMiKe said:
About the screen, I've taken the time to make different images so you can get an idea of the Pandora screen size (93.6 x 56.2 mm).

Select your screen size and resolution from the following links, and you will (almost) see the real pandora screen size on your computer screen.

Thanks for the pics but does this mean that it should really help with the Pandoras' screen as far as ghosting for it to have that many pixles?

Zarneth said:

That's weird that wikipedia says that because on bluewiki they just say 30ms so either wikipedia or bluewiki needs edited.

Just figured that I'd minsion that.

#1 GameMaster said:
That's weird that wikipedia says that because on bluewiki they just say 30ms so either wikipedia or bluewiki needs edited.

Just figured that I'd minsion that.
I think BOTH should be mentioned. 30ms (black to white) is the real response time. but 15ms is the industry standard deceptive lie to make it sound better standard (grey to grey) so it's good to have for comparing.

What will the dead pixel policy be? I work with LCD warranty at a computer store and dead pixels cause utter hell. Will we be able to get a replacement if there's a single dead pixel? At least during the first month?

CoMiKe said:

14 inches monitor @ 800x600 (71.42 dpi)
15 inches monitor @ 1024x768 (85.33 dpi)
17 inches monitor @ 1280x1024 (96.42 dpi)
19 inches monitor @ 1280x1024 (86.27 dpi)
20 inches monitor @ 1680x1050 (99.05 dpi)
22 inches monitor @ 1680x1050 (90.05 dpi)

EDIT: How is it done? I've created a 93.6 x 56.2 mm box on Inkscape and exported it using the different dpi from each monitor.

Can you export a 1024x768 10.4" monitor version? It would be appreciated. :)

Back