Google Chrome is flagging sites that have "uncommon downloads" now

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
Ah yes, Googles screwing with the open source community once again.
Basically this byuu dudes site has a big warning now because his new software posted has "uncommon downloads". Like yeah no sh*t, it was just released.

1577651345080.png

Doesn't seem to matter if the file has no virustotal issues or anything.

What do you all think about this?

I see it's got one reply on reddit which is simply a user posting 'ok'. I mean I personally swore off using google services for basically anything, which has been a stretch when it came to the rise of Android, but there you go, and that was some five years ago or maybe later. I'm still a firefox user with the uMatrix plugin to speed browsing up and as a side effect help to maintain my privacy, and I guess this helps to show that was the right choice, but I dunno.

Edit: I use youtube-dl or you-get, and I'm not sure where that puts my in terms of google cookies to be honest.

Sadly this feels like where things are heading, discouraged independent control and distribution of binary software, only app markets and web stuff.

I wonder if my old GP2X bins will get my site flagged too eventually :oops:

Slightly off-topic: I just learned that Android 10 is out and that they dropped their candy naming scheme. Reasons for the latter being, some candy names aren't known globally and not everyone knows to pronounce them correctly. How condescending is that?

I used to do that, now I use lineage os without google play services or microG. I don't have any app that need google play services.
Yeah, the only thing I can name from the top of my head, would be location services.

Location works without google play. Google Maps doesn't work, you have to use osmand+ ( from F-droid). Anything from F-droid works without google.
But I wouldn't have backends for network based location and for address lookup without microG? Yeah, I do use OsmAnd( and Offi and recently StreetComplete).

I haven't noticed that much probably because my device has very quick GPS fix.

Last edited:
Recently I got a 8 year old Dell notebook with i3 CPU with one small issue - a blown diode preventing it from powering on. Because this computer must have an up to date BIOS not to overheat in Linux (yes, this thing in which video chip controls overall cooling), I found Dell website deleted it, leaving only revision 12, which is OK for corporate users, but revision 13 makes the system overheat less.
I finally got my rev. 13 BIOS and flashed it, so the computer does not overheat. I got it from some random computer shop website in a distant place in Russia (Omskaya Oblast) - all other links were dead.
We may f..k Google as much as we can, but this does not mean that Google will not f..k the Internet and make useful things disappear even faster.

And one more thing: Some time ago I wrote a simple program which does the following:
1. Ensures Win9x are run, not NT, not XP. Only 95 or 98, if not puts a help message.
2. Saves current year and cranks the system clock it to 2013.
3. Launches a processes form a hard-coded file if exists, if not puts a help message.
4. Clocks the year back.
The only goal of this software was removal of a timebomb in a diagnostic program which could blow up when started in 2014. In fact, even creator of this software recommends clocking the system back, as he lost the source code. I built it in Pascal and C++ to compare which will be smaller. I found Pascal version larger at first, but easier to compress in transit, but that's another story.
Let's submit to VirusTotal: About 20% of AV informed me that it's a virus. Generally names containing "GEN".
I tried building sources on other computers because I could be infected - but no! Antivirus software just detects it as some virus. Today it's just impossible to get any information about meaning of a specific virus - it's bad because it's bad. Do not ask. By trial and error I found that the thing which makes the file a "virus" is a sequence: Setting the clock back, then running process.
You can have other opinions, but I think that someone just bought this detection in antivirus software to prevent "trial resetting" applications.
And is this the great oracle which states what file can and what cannot be downloaded? Which is just a commercial fraud?

The only goal of this software was removal of a timebomb in a diagnostic program which could blow up when started in 2014. In fact, even creator of this software recommends clocking the system back, as he lost the source code.
This sounds somewhat trivial to fix in the assembled code to be honest, as long as it's not coded up in a convoluted DRM-like fashion. Whatever works, though.

Back