Google Chrome Os

Status
Not open for further replies.

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
It's official: Google wants to dominate the world of computing. And I'm not joking.

Google recently announced their new Google Chrome OS, and they said it "is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010."

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work."

It's quite obvious Google Chrome OS is taking the ideas behind Google Chrome to the next level. Google Chrome has always been about bringing web applications closer to the desktop. This is brilliant, because "[all web-based applications] will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform" and us users an easy way to access our data no matter where we are.

My dream for the computer world, my goal in every new service I sign up for, is the following: to be able to log in to any computer in the world and have access to all my applications and data. With Google Chrome OS, my Pandora, and all the appropriate web-based applications, my assumed-impossible dream will actually come true. I will no longer have to rsync. I will no longer have to punch data into multiple locations. I will no longer have to punch holes in my firewall for SSH access to my computer so I can access data. I will have my Pandora to access it all. :D

What do you think?

(Source: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html )

I said oops because the discussion is already being carried here, in the Offtopic Discussions:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48612-google-chrome-os-coming-in-2010/

A moderator with a quick trigger finger ought to close this topic so we don't discuss this any further here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back