Got The Champ Badge On All Sqdef Classic Levels!

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
I finally got the champ badge on all the original levels last night, but unfortunately I've encountered a problem.

It now locks up when I try and save in another game...

I've noticed saving getting slower and slower. Could it be my SD card? I haven't tried deleting the hiscore file yet (after backing it up!) but that might help I guess...

So thanks again Alex - SqDef has given me hours of fun - and will continue to as soon as I can save again!

Zip up the entire Sqdef folder and upload it to one of those file sites like megaupload. I'll have a look at it and see what needs to be fixed. I'm not sure why the saving became slower, but it will be plenty faster in 1.4. :)

PS: good job on your achievement, not an easy feat :)

norm said:
care to share....???

i need a few tips, i suck

I second that. I still can't get the 45 level metal on any of them. I come damn close, to like 40 or 41, but I never have enough firepower or lives to keep going. I do have bronze and silver on most though.

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
I've managed it on a couple of levels, but certainly not on the harder ones... If there aren't at least three hairpin-esques I can't get beyond 40-41, usually...

My usual strategy:

Buy the least amount of towers and turrets necessary to complete each level up until level 25. Buy as many colonies as possible.

Just before level 25 (when the price of Depots starts going up) sell half the colonies and buy depots - you need at least 20 to guarantee getting to the end. I usually try to get a total of 24 or 28 over the next couple of levels. Keep a fair amount of colonies to keep you funds up.

Make sure you place your towers to maximize the number of quad fortresses you end up with - preferably leaving a 1 turret gap between them so you can put in the armouries and upgrade them to cover as many as possible. Don't add armouries until you've got the quad towers that you need.

Once you've got $3000-$4000 in the bank, sell your remaining colonies. That should leave you with about $8000. If you then just add towers as necessary you should find that your account rockets after a while. I think you can complete most levels once you've got about $40000 in the bank. It's nice when you end up with $10000000 though!

After a while it becomes cheaper to buy new lives than quad fortresses so don't worry about losing a few lives at the end of the odd level. I usually let the lives run down to 1 to keep the most money in the bank, and then buy the amount of lives you need to complete the next level.

Don't bother with the slow down towers or the scythe. Although the scythe looks cool it doesn't do as much damage as you'd hope.

BTW, it looks like my SD card is dying - nothing to do with the game. It won't mount on my mac anymore...

Gruntfuggly said:
BTW, it looks like my SD card is dying - nothing to do with the game. It won't mount on my mac anymore...
If you have access to a Windows system, you should give this format tool a try, I've seen it recommended here numerous times. Good luck!

Edit: overlooked that it won't mount anymore, sorry :(

Wow I'm not Champ even in my own Levels! :lol: Afaik I solved all 60Waves in only 2 or 3 Levels. I'm to lazy to start over again to make bronze, silver,gold. The "on the fly" Medal mode mentioned some time ago is the muchbetter idea. (Just play a Level as long as you survive and automaticly get Medals after 10, 24, 48...waves. :) ) I hope this is included into the 1.4 Version so we don't need to select how many waves we want to play.

fusion_power said:
Wow I'm not Champ even in my own Levels! :lol: Afaik I solved all 60Waves in only 2 or 3 Levels. I'm to lazy to start over again to make bronze, silver,gold. The "on the fly" Medal mode mentioned some time ago is the muchbetter idea. (Just play a Level as long as you survive and automaticly get Medals after 10, 24, 48...waves. :) ) I hope this is included into the 1.4 Version so we don't need to select how many waves we want to play.
Yes, it is :) Here's the 1.4 todo list so far:

- get rid of wave number selection; you win medals as you beat the respective waves
- have creatures choose stray paths (instead of all following the same path)
- ability to upgrade the number of targets for Trapper (max 3)
- ability to upgrade the number of jets for Scythe (max 4)
- add Chain Gun research for Ice Turret (shooting rate accelerates over time)
- option to sell all buildings of the same type in one go
- ability to select towers you can't afford to see how they would fit on the map
- bridges on maps

Alex. said:
If you have access to a Windows system, you should give this format tool a try, I've seen it recommended here numerous times. Good luck!

Edit: overlooked that it won't mount anymore, sorry :(

Thanks anyway - the wierd thing is the GP2X seems to be quite happy to read it still, so I'm going to try it in a different reader at work tomorrow...

If anybody knows how to copy from the SD to the NAND using the GP2X - that would be helpfull...

Alex. said:
fusion_power said:
Yes, it is :) Here's the 1.4 todo list so far:

- get rid of wave number selection; you win medals as you beat the respective waves
- have creatures choose stray paths (instead of all following the same path)
- ability to upgrade the number of targets for Trapper (max 3)
- ability to upgrade the number of jets for Scythe (max 4)
- add Chain Gun research for Ice Turret (shooting rate accelerates over time)
- option to sell all buildings of the same type in one go
- ability to select towers you can't afford to see how they would fit on the map
- bridges on maps

Great! :) Sounds like I shoud try the new Ice Turret then, it's been ages since I've played with these Turret Type. :D
Better Trapper, better Scythe, yes in later waves and complicated Levels we need this Power! Selecting and testing a Tower is also a thing that I really missed.
...and BRIDGES of course! ^_^

I was playing through earlier and I came up with a couple of ideas that might be interesting aditions:

- Research: Stacked Towers. Probably costs around 4000-6000 to get, but lets you build two objects in the same location. Could be very useful for those maps where space is an issue, although it'd have to be carefully priced so as not to overpower you too early.
- Mines. One-off expensive objects that you build in the road (probably ~600cr each, or less if they're not too damaging). Enemies step on them, they go boom.
- Vulnerabilities/Resistences. If this is already present, I haven't noticed, but it would be kinda cool to have some enemies who took half damage from fire and double from ice (or vice-versa). Or, if you want to force players to use at least some of the low-end towers (water, earth), then make some enemies completely immune to fire/ice/energy, but three-hit-kills from the earlier towers. Could be interesting to experiment with, anyway.

Just some thoughts, as ever :)

Tobriand said:
- Research: Stacked Towers. Probably costs around 4000-6000 to get, but lets you build two objects in the same location. Could be very useful for those maps where space is an issue, although it'd have to be carefully priced so as not to overpower you too early.
That's a very cool idea! I could map L to flip between the two tower planes, to make it easy to upgrade/sell all buildings. I wouldn't have thought of this in a zillion years, thanks a lot :)

Tobriand said:
- Mines. One-off expensive objects that you build in the road (probably ~600cr each, or less if they're not too damaging). Enemies step on them, they go boom.
- Vulnerabilities/Resistences. If this is already present, I haven't noticed, but it would be kinda cool to have some enemies who took half damage from fire and double from ice (or vice-versa). Or, if you want to force players to use at least some of the low-end towers (water, earth), then make some enemies completely immune to fire/ice/energy, but three-hit-kills from the earlier towers. Could be interesting to experiment with, anyway.
Both mines (good old Vultures ;)) and vulnerabilities are planned, just not for Sqdef :D

Alex. said:
Tobriand said:
That's a very cool idea! I could map L to flip between the two tower planes, to make it easy to upgrade/sell all buildings. I wouldn't have thought of this in a zillion years, thanks a lot :)

Hm, this sounds like it reduces the overview over the game. I like it simple and clear to see all my buildings instantly. With a whole map full of Towers it is hard enough to see everything. With stacked buildings it is much more complicated to manage the Towers, manage all the planes etc.
Space could be saved by moving the Trapper straight onto the road (other GFX of course). So we have the space we need. Trappers are useful but a incedible waste of valuable space. The roads are so empty, something could be done there.
Slightly, we reach the limit of a 320x240 res screen. :D Stacked Towers IS a Idea but maybe there are other ways to manage the small SPace on the maps?

I also think that stacking towers would be a nice feature but surely it would be two complicated using two planes. How about making the tower on top half-size and placed in the middle? That might work better...

Alex: Mines and vulnerabilities? Not in SqDef? Are you suggesting a new title in the works, maybe for pandora? OMG... how could we ever go without you Alex? One of the best homebrew devs of the scene.

xnopasaranx said:
I also think that stacking towers would be a nice feature but surely it would be two complicated using two planes. How about making the tower on top half-size and placed in the middle? That might work better...

Alex: Mines and vulnerabilities? Not in SqDef? Are you suggesting a new title in the works, maybe for pandora? OMG... how could we ever go without you Alex? One of the best homebrew devs of the scene.
I'll send betas out when the time comes, and if it'll be too complicated and get in the way, I'll remove it.

Thanks for your constant support and kind words :)

Back