Gp Resets When Game Starts

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Hi all,

Having problems running games that have worked previously! When I start xrick, giana, or others from the standard firmware (no flashes) they load, and then reset the GP as soon as the loading bar gets to 100%.

Some games work ok:
gpspout - not suprising since it runs at 12MHz or something else really low
clockspeed tester - runs at 166MHz no worries at all!

I have read an old thread on this, and it seems the first thing to do is check the batteries. I have tried 4 sets of rechargeables so far, and all do the same thing. Will try some standard batteries later (rechargeables are 1.2v as opposed to 1.5v).

Also, I use GPManager which is apparently not so good, so I will try something else. I have also tried formatting the smc, and testing it for errors, but no change.

What has changed recently on the GP is:
I was playing DOTT using scummvm recently on my 16MB smart media card.
I am NOT at my own computer, so I installed GPManager and then erased scummvm, and copied across various other games to try. Now these don't work, including xrick, which I had working a couple of days ago! Perhaps this new computer is the prob? (XP, probably USB 2 - my computer I usually use only has USB 1.0)

Help!

Hi again all,

GPDrive is god.
If you ever have this problem, try GPDrive!

The solutions I have found include:
1) Try fresh batteries. Rechargeables sometimes don't work properly because of their lower voltage rating (1.2v)
2) Try to reformat the SMC, and then check it for bad sectors (enter GPLink without plugging in to your computer, and press 'select' to check).
3) Install GPDrive (you need to copy it accross to your GP with GPLink). It works like this:
- Copy gpdrive.fxe to your GP using GPLink
- Disconnect your GP in the usual manner
- Un install the GP USB driver (don't know if this is required but worked for me)
Now every time you want to transfer files:
- Turn on your GP and run GPDrive
- Once GPDrive is running, connect it to your computer with the USB cable. The first time it will install itself as a generic USB drive.
- Now transfer files with windows explorer!

Maybe stick this in the FAQ?

Hiya,

Thanks for that, consider gp32 manager deleted, this is much more reliable and loads faster!

Simon

check smc for errors too using windows scandisk - the gp ones are not effective in my expearence....

Steve

Back