GP2X Caanoo or Dingoo

Should I get a GP2X Caanoo or a Dingoo?

• Total voters

Da Dude

I'm just wondering what to buy in the time i'm still waiting for my Pandora.

Is the Caanoo the next best handheld for the job? or do you guys prefer a dingoo.

I have the wiz and the dingoo a320. but both have some bad issues .

The Wizz with the touch screen problems and the Dingoo needs to many hard resets.

please let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
Having owned a GP2X F200 and a Dingoo A320, I would be going for a Caanoo. The Wiz left me cold for some reason, and I don't really trust the Dingoo brand. But the Caanoo is very cheap, the build quality is reportedly very high, and there's quite a decent software library (including, as of a couple of weeks ago, Notaz' awesome PCSXreARMed.)

But this could be my broken heart talking. The white Caanoos remind me of my F200, which some m*$^%*^#$*r stole last year. I should just pick one up.

I cant speak for the Dingo and the Wiz, however, I own a Caanoo which is absolutely fantastic. The analogue stick is just great and the build and feel is very good. The menu system is also very good to use. The touch screen is very good also. For the price its pretty good value athough they all seem to be about the same price these days.

Go with the Caanoo definitely! It doesn't have a dpad <_< but it's still an excellent unit hardware and software wise. Don't even bother with the A380, most of the Dingoo devs are avoiding it due to Dingoo Techs underhanded business practices and the fact that they never released the full SDK for it.

I like my caanoo, but the standby battery is horrible. For whatever reason (probally the clock) If you take it from the charger for more than a day you will come back to a half charged or less device. It may be just mine, but for me that is not acceptable. The joystick, button layout, construction quality, OS, ease of use are just top notch quality. It's just the battery life that made my relationship with it a game ender. In comparison, stand-by time on my a320 is 1-2 weeks I havn't tested how long I can leave it but I'm fairly certain it could go longer.

I love, I mean truely love my dingoo, I have better now, but at the time the dingoo is the best bet option for most every type of emulation. I owned the a320 and from what I'm reading the a380 is an accross the board upgrade. My only gripe with the dingoo is that the native os wasn't dingux, I'm hearing this has been resolved.

If I was comming off the street into the scene today? I'd go for the newer dingoo IMO

EDIT: didn't see smartphone option, but I'd also take a look at the xperia play if you got the cash, that is my favorite retro gaming handheld. Pandora being my next favorite untill the standby battery life is on a level playing field.

@johnsongrantr

Ive never noticed the battery issue you mention with mine. Perhaps youve got a dodgy battery. I'll have to give mine a thorough test just to be sure.

I own a Caanoo, and also don't have the battery problem.

The Caanoo's a great device ... very solid construction, fits great in the hands, screen seems rugged. I was a little concerned about the reliability of the analog stick, but have been playing Robotron 2084 for at least an hour every day for a month now with no problems. Anyone who's played Robotron knows that both thumbs get a major work-out. ;)

I really loved my old GP2X 100 [black].

It was the best of this dicussed bunch IMHO.

Last edited:
Do you already have a smartphone?

I'd always recommend the iControlPad ;)

I enjoyed my brief stint with the Dingoo A320, it's outright impressive what folks get to run on it.

I do have to hand it to my A320. I used it for everything from ebooks, to playing FLVs ripped from Youtube, to listening to FM radio. All out of the box on native firmware. At one point I was even using it to jailbreak my PS3. B) There are too many inconsistencies under the Dingoo banner though, which is why I'm not keen to buy another model.

ahh...the good old psgroove days! i ran it off my sansa rockbox mp3 player while you people were compiling psgroove on pandora

@johnsongrantr

Ive never noticed the battery issue you mention with mine. Perhaps youve got a dodgy battery. I'll have to give mine a thorough test just to be sure.

guess defective battery/hardware issue is a frequent problem, just google searched caanoo battery drain have quite a few hits... all roads point to RMA and it seems to fix it. I'm well past my warranty period which is unfortuneate, but it's good to know it's not platform wide just isolated (however it appears to be a freqent problem)

http://www.gp32x.de...rs/page__st__15

5 hours of actual use seems reasonable, but still wish that could be increased with 3rd party or extended batteries, but the battery is not user changeable/upgradeable

See my post about the JXD 5000 (my opinion : needs a lot more improvements) : http://www.gp32x.de..._0

Ohhhh. I like. Not much technical info though. Do you know what kind of processor it uses?

I was contemplating on a Wiz or Canoo but with the Wiz screen issues and the Canoo's lack of d-pad I chose neither. I'll wait for my Pandora. Although now that I've seen the JXD 5000 I might just get one of those too if the price is right. (EDIT: Holy Sh*t $95? Is that right? Might just get one.)

Apparently the newer Wiz's have an LCD screen, therefor there shouldn't be any problems. I'm not too sure on it, maybe someone here can confirm it?

Back