Gp2x Community Game Contest: Winners!

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site

The winners have been calculated. :) Congratulations to the winners of this contest.

Squares - 49
Bare Fist Fighter - 47
Laser2x - 44
Airplyr - 43.5
Altitude - 41
GoitGeePee - 39
Crossroads - 30
Cardmaster - 23.5
Grow - 22.5
Crapong - 18.5
Stairway to Heaven - 16.5​

Prizes:
  • 1st Place - 50% of the Total (Currently €356.91), a copy of Payback, and a DaveC DPad modification + installation
  • 2nd Place - 35% of the Total (Currently €249.84) and a copy of Payback.
  • 3rd Place - 15% of the Total (Currently €107.07) and a copy of Payback.
[cut]
I would like to take this time to thank all the generous donors to this contest, and the lovely GP2x distributors for donating such wonderful prizes to this contest, without you guys, there would be no prizes. Secondly, I would like to take a moment and give a big congratulations to all the wonderful games that were entered in this contest. Even though that some of you may have not won a prize, all of your games were very fun to play, and I could tell by the hard work of some that you really put a lot into your games. I would also like to thank the judges that did come through at the end to review the games, as you guys decided the winners to this contest. Contest winners, please contact the official email address of the contest in order to claim your prize.

To see the reviews of each entry, head over to the entry page at:
http://gp2x.psymastr.com/entries.html[/cut]

Over the moon that I have won, its the first coding competition I have entered so getting first place is amazing! I would like to thank PSyMastR for hosting the competition, the judges and all the donators to the competition who put up their own cash to fund it. I would also like to say a massive thanks to the beta testers who done a great job of testing the game in a very short space of time (something like a couple of days with no previous testing at all), they are dgrams2000, THB, Matt Cocker, Goemon4, Xythen, Shane, X.XaM_MaX.X and Anppa.

I was working on a new release of Squares already and you may have read my rant in the Squares post. So I will take the opportunity which extends to all homebrew games that without feedback we cant improve games as much as we would like to. So please everyone support homebrew games by downloading and playing them and then taking a few minutes to give some feedback, as long as it is constructive the developers will be happy and in return you will probably see better games as a result. Rant over :)

Thanks again everyone!

Congrats everyone, it was very fun to be a part of this competition. I'd like to thank everyone who helped put it together, the rest of the participants, and the scene for feedback and support :) Hopefully there'll be a second community contest same time this year (this time I'll be prepared ;)

So, do 4th and 5th places still get a copy of Payback and Vektar respectively? :)

- Alex

Congrats everyone, it was very fun to be a part of this competition. I'd like to thank everyone who helped put it together, the rest of the participants, and the scene for feedback and support :) Hopefully there'll be a second community contest same time this year (this time I'll be prepared ;)

So, do 4th and 5th places still get a copy of Payback and Vektar respectively? :)

- Alex
No, as Magnulus has done a runner.

I'd like to thank the judges for not giving me last place for a game that contains a crippling bug for added crappyness lol :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since magnulus has ran off with no return I will try contacting him, and see what I can do.

Great job everyone!

I kinda feel sorry for Alex and Imerion, both barely missing the cut. If I were to rate the games completely on the playability and entertainment of their current state Altitude would have easily gotten my vote.

Thanks, Imerion, I love Altitude and hopefully you will fix the bug in stage 3 so I can beat it :p

EDIT: Excuse me, I misread it, sorry about that. The game that missed by .5 was airplyr by Alex (which is also great!). Altitude (as Jackd points out) was 2.5 points behind Airplyr.

Congrats & thanks to all the entrants. The top 5 were all excellent, polished games, and since the comp Crossroads and now Grow have improved dramatically!

Well worthwhile & here's to another later this year (perhaps also with different categories for ports/apps/etc).

- Alex
airplyr was the best i don't care what they say :angry:

- Alex
I agree, it was between Squares and Airplyr. Personally, I prefer Airplyr, but thats probably because I have played squares to death on PC.

Nice, not exactly what I expected the results to be but I have to say I'm quite happy right now, just shows again that JAVA on the GP2x is more than possible and that people from all over the world working together can still achieve something, well done everybody and thx for hosting the comp.

How will we get our prices? For the money I'd prefer EU bank transfer or Paypal, the game would be easiest if EvilDragon could send them out I guess?

About 4th place, well, it looks like Bare Fist Fighter is going to win another copy of Payback so perhaps those guys can work out a deal or something :)

I agree, it was between Squares and Airplyr. Personally, I prefer Airplyr, but thats probably because I have played squares to death on PC.
Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot! As long as people like my games, that's more important than winning anything :)

Perhaps the next competition could have tighter deadlines for everyone, not just for the ones making the games.

- Alex

I'm just waiting for confirmation from PSyMastR but I would like to give payback and the joystick mod to other people. if he says its OK I will give payback to one of my beta testers and the joystick mod to one of the developers who entered the compo but didn't win something.

Back