Gp2x Featured In Issue 12 Of Free Software Magazine

Hazey

Still Fresh
Website
www.few.vu.nl
Free Software Magazine is a free magazine covering all sides and aspects of the free software "industry". This issue contains 10 articles for your enjoyment.

In Issue 12 of Free Software Magazine, Jerome Gotangco guides us through securing email communication and Yousef Ourabi shows us how to harden our Linux servers. Rosalyn Hunter introduces the GNU/Linux CLI for beginners and Terry Hancock explains LyX. We also get to have some fun when Robin Monks reviews some clones of a classic game: Tetris. And more...

This "more" being for instance an article about the gp2x by Steve Goodwin. More specifically its Linux capabilities. And interesting read nonetheless and maybe worth a discussion.

You can download the full PDF version of the magazine or browse through the articles online at:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/issues/issue_012

i think that they called it a pda because they have a regular pda section and wanted to put it there. all in all it's a very good article.

rokdcasbah posted on May 22 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
i think that they called it a pda because they have a regular pda section and wanted to put it there. all in all it's a very good article.
Hmm, Qtopia runs on it, doesn't that make it a PDA?

The only thing un-PDA like about it is the fact there is no real-time clock, but don't you wear a watch? :)

Edit: First impressions of the article, they have old info (1GB SD limit, no mention of USB host, got the ram access for the cores wrong)

Very well written, looking forward to an update from them on Firmware 2.0 stuff.

@craigix, get the PR guys in touch with them, they seem to attract the type that like to develop and use the console.

A bit from them on Wifi and Qtopia with USB keyboard on a TV couldn't hurt your sales ;).

Edit 2: Completely dropped the ball on the Divx decoding hardware, they need to see the block diagram here: MagicEyes MMSP2 CPU, perhaps it should also go in the "Essential GP2x links" section at the end of the article.

I think they need some help writing a technically accurate article, maybe they already are with the MKII release, I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on May 22 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
well, its nicely writen and so on but its totaly outdated mostly.
Thank you! It was written Christmas last year (check the copyright date!) and it took a while to filter through into the magazine, thus the outdated-ness.

I'll blog an update in the near future - just gotta finish some other stuff first B)

rokdcasbah posted on May 23 2006 at 02:18 AM said:
Correct - that is exactly why the article has PDA in the title. Although I did suggest alternatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the comment at the bottom by another user:
Readers should also be aware that there is a "MK2" GP2X coming out which will double the screen resolution to 720x480 (which is a much more useful spec, IMHO).
Who shrunk the screen on my MK2?! :p

Back