Gp2x Firmware 3.0.0 Has Been Released

Mr 2X

Website
lostsite.altervista.org
Firmware 3.0.0 has been released. This firmware mainly consists of design change and minor changes as listed below:
Update Details
-------------------------
1. User Interface Change
a) Utility menu has been changed to Help menu
b ) Help menu accesses video tutorial of GP2X console
2. Limited access to NAND memory
3. 5 games included in the NAND memory for GP2X Value Pack purchased users.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* Built-in application license info:
GP2X built-in application(menu, photo, ebook) license is not GPL.

* GPL/LGPLed issue:
bootloader, kernel, and some library/application is GPL/LGPLed.
If you want to know more detail information, see http://gnu.org/copyleft site,
or see NAND/License directory in GP2X(installed Firmware 2).

* Getting GPL/LGPLed source code for GP2X:
If you want to get modified source code, check this site.
http://dev.gp2x.com
http://svn.gp2x.com/gp2x/tag
If you need more source code, please mail to dev@gp2x.com
--------------------------------------------------------------
Best regards,
Gamepark Holdings

Download it here:
http://www.gp2x.com/support/support_view.a...=1&part=d00

or:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2129

v3skin.jpg

I downloaded it from the archives and the FS/NAND tarballs seem to be partially corrupted (this would mean there is a chance the GP2X may be bricked, but only to the extent that a 2.0 downgrade is needed) :S If you're worried, I'd wait until somebody else has tried the update :)

I'd also advise anybody using this not to use gp2xboot.img. It uses the same installation procedure as 2.0, so doing a risky bootloader flash isn't needed (if you have a 2.0+ bootloader). I've no idea why GPH have included it, other than for a different loading screen?

EDIT: I've tried the one from gp2x.com and the archives now, both are corrupt according to tar. It will install most of the system and boot successfully if you do decide to go ahead with the upgrade, but I get some strange graphics problems on the menu and I don't know what does and doesn't work. Looking on the serial line I do get some strange libpng errors whenever the menu starts.

Orkie said:
I downloaded it from the archives and the FS/NAND tarballs seem to be partially corrupted
Might be your download. Both tarballs seem ok to me (also downloaded from the archive).

Kernel and uboot have different dates from the 2.x firmwares, but same as the unofficial rip. Don't know if there's any real difference though because the source isn't available for download (and just to get in quick before anyone starts a gpl rant - no, this isn't a violation of the gpl). Movie player has changed from 2.1.1 (could just be cosmetic though), and the menu of course, but all other things that may interest people are the same as 2.1.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is just me, but I've download it twice from each location to no avail. Not that I want to use it anyway :)

It looks worse than previous firmwares in terms of prettyness.

Nova said:
It looks worse than previous firmwares in terms of prettyness.
I agree, it would look a lot better without so many lines and fades, especially the top part, above the icons. They should have also kept the old skin as an alternative on the NAND, with slightly darker backgrounds to better contrast with the white text.

One thing that bothers me about these default skins is the large GP2X logo and the text "Personal Entertainment Player" written in big letters on the top of every screen. What's the point?

gp2xlogosxa9.jpg

In the new firmware, the selected icon is blinking with black lines in front of it... I really don't like this graphic effect... :(

The solution is... Don't upgrade, as it's not an update really. A bit like Vista :)

Franxis said:
In the new firmware, the selected icon is blinking with black lines in front of it... I really don't like this graphic effect... :(
That's the problem I mentioned (though didn't describe).

Orkie said:
I downloaded it from the archives and the FS/NAND tarballs seem to be partially corrupted (this would mean there is a chance the GP2X may be bricked, but only to the extent that a 2.0 downgrade is needed) :S If you're worried, I'd wait until somebody else has tried the update :)
Confirmed. I've downloaded from both places several times, the FS & NAND tars are indeed corrupted, failing an internal crc check.

I think I would try open2x sooner than i would with this firmware release. It seems it was geared to people that have no idea how to use thier gp2x. i.e. preloaded games, help video

If this is exactly the same as the dump from a few weeks back then my SD cards won't work with it. Seems like it is a little more picky about what SD cards work.

Pickle said:
I think I would try open2x sooner than i would with this firmware release. It seems it was geared to people that have no idea how to use thier gp2x. i.e. preloaded games, help video
I'm very eager for open2x, now that *is* interesting!

Back