Gp2x Internet

tim0391

Website
Visit site
hi guys i have tried for a couple of weeks now to get my gp2x on the net and falied. I have managed to get tcp/ip working and i can ping it, but i have never manged to get the net working. I am running 2.1.1 firmware and am using a router to connect to the internet. I have viewed various guides on how to get tcp/ip working but there never is much info on how to get internet access on the device well not i have not found any guides. so i wondered if anyone could help me with this or tell me how they did it.

thanx tim

If you have set up TCP/IP and can ping an IP address that is on the internet then all you may need to do is set a valid DNS, which can be obtained through the network settings on your computer.

right click the network interface facing the internet in the system tray > click status> click the support tab> click Details. Here you will find DNS, Gateway etc...

Assuming you are useing a distro on you gp2x or have a browser you'll need to figure out how to add in DNS etc. Seem to remember a file called /etc/nswitch or something in RedHat Linux mebe its something similar?

tim0391 posted on Feb 10 2007 at 10:59 PM said:
hi guys i have tried for a couple of weeks now to get my gp2x on the net and falied. I have managed to get tcp/ip working and i can ping it, but i have never manged to get the net working. I am running 2.1.1 firmware and am using a router to connect to the internet. I have viewed various guides on how to get tcp/ip working but there never is much info on how to get internet access on the device well not i have not found any guides. so i wondered if anyone could help me with this or tell me how they did it.

thanx tim
check the wiki page on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got my GP2X on the internet and even got to GP32X itself using links2x just a minute ago, so I'll try and work with what I've found...

In Network Connections right click on your internet connection (not the GP2X connection) and enter properties. Under the Advanced tab in Internet Connection Sharing click the checkbox and set the home network connection to your GP2X's connection.

This will most likely set up your LAN connection at your PC side to use an IP of 192.168.0.1, so set your GP2X's IP to 192.168.0.2. Then either through Telnet (I couldn't, but I used serial instead...) or a script give the command:

route add default gw 192.168.0.1 usb0

Or script form:

#!/bin/sh
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 usb0
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

Now ping www.gp32x.de or whoever you choose and see if it works.

links2x worked great for me, I was quite happy with how it displayed gp32x.de, a little too small of a display but eventually somebody might be able to get a higher resolution output mode for TV Out then it can replace my computer for simple browsing.

Even setup my interview page on my GP2X's webserver, neat little idea.

credits for my knowledge come from wiki.gp2x.org, although I wish I didn't have to use a french page to figure it out... or atleast that's the one I found...

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the reply hooka tried it but becuase im going through a router to get access to the internet it did not work i tried it on my previous connection but that oblviously did not work. Now you have told me how to an what to do i think i will be able to get it on to the net.

thanks again

tim

Back