Gp2x Is Definitely Worth Getting

wipeout2000

Website
Visit site
I know there is a forum dedicated to people that just got their gp2x but i wanted to post this up to encourage people to get it incase they are uncertain about getting a gp2x.

First off I recently gave in and decided to buy it. I bought it with everything. It's a lot smaller than I expected. It is built better than some people say and it is somewhat stable. Chances are if you play around with the setting and the programs too much it will crash. Game Park seems to be stabalizing it more with the newer firmwares so in a couple of months it should be in really good shape. It is worth getting now though. I am very very happy with it. I am glad that I am finally part of the community and I'm even more glad that I can watch movies and listen to music and play games all on this thing.

My cousin was even thinking about getting one he was so impressed. He really liked metal slug. So much for ipod video. So if you are considering about getting it and heard a lot of rumors that the thing breaks down, thats not true so much anymore. The latest shipments seem to be of a better build and the battery life is getting better and better. Oh yea and the screen looks BEAUTIFUL. Sorry for all the picky people out there but I feel like I got my moneys worth, now if only Game Park could hurry up with those updates....

PS. Please dont flame if you think I was repeating the obvious, this is meant for people who still aren't sure...

I disagree with you wipeout. The only reason to get this unit is for emulation. If you are not into emulation then dont waste your money. With an AC adapter, memory card, and DaveC's cap you will be in for over $275. With the XGP and the miniXGP coming, you must be a hardcore emulation person...like me!

The joystick on this thing is horrible. Even with DaveC's cap it still sucks. Any game that requires 4-way movement with be a nightmare. You have to push the stick so far just for it to make contact, its just rediculous. It remind me of the days when I had an Atari 5200 SuperSystem and had to clean the contacts on the controllers every 2 days just to play games. LOL.

Something I just noticed...the best pad on a handheld system is the Sega Nomad. That pad in absolutely perfect. We need that pad in this system. I sure hope Radek can fix what Gamepark Holding's engineers couldn't....................

Well you are kind of right with the pad. If you are a novice gamer (like myself) the pad is really not that that bad. I can even play street fighter with it. The media is really a great plus tho.

As for the xgp, just get a psp instead. Psp has everything it has but better. The screen stinks for emulation and homebrew. Might be better for media (has a bigger screen). And the xgp is gonna have a joystick too. XGP mini is a different story but who knows whats gonna happen with that.

I dunno I've really fallen in love with my gp2x. I just hope the community continues thriving.

wipeout2000 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:17 AM said:
Well you are kind of right with the pad. If you are a novice gamer (like myself) the pad is really not that that bad. I can even play street fighter with it. The media is really a great plus tho.

As for the xgp, just get a psp instead. Psp has everything it has but better. The screen stinks for emulation and homebrew. Might be better for media (has a bigger screen). And the xgp is gonna have a joystick too. XGP mini is a different story but who knows whats gonna happen with that.

I dunno I've really fallen in love with my gp2x. I just hope the community continues thriving.

I have a PSP. 1.5 firmware. Run ISOs all the time...hehe. SNES runs just about perfect on the PSP now. NeoGeoCD is perfect...60fps w/sound. The only place where the GP2X beats it is Genesis/Megadrive and MAME and Atari 5200/7800...in terms of speaking only about emulation. GP2X is perfect for Genesis, except for that damn joystick. The screen is better than PSP too and better than my Sega Nomad even, but not the pad. I have great hopes for the GP2X though. My fingers are crossed.......

By the way....hello! :lol: :lol: B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't get the deal with the joystick... The way I see it is:

It sucks at first (because we are used to Dpad/analogue) but then you get used to it.
I really don't understand all this song and dance about how bad it is, when all is said and done it's a digital thumbstick...

Example: Playing Beat2X you need to hit directions properly and on beat... using the stick I can do this...

I like my gp2x, I like emulators, and I love gp2x games...yes! not just for emulators, I really like beat2x, noiz2sa, frozenbubble...

I have no problems with the stick, yesterday I made the pen-mod to try and it works fine, the stick is taller so acts as a lever and now it is softer and of course, I can do each movement without problems.

And about XGP...XGP is a project, just vapor for now, it is not an option.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 18 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
I really don't get the deal with the joystick... The way I see it is:

It sucks at first (because we are used to Dpad/analogue) but then you get used to it.
I really don't understand all this song and dance about how bad it is, when all is said and done it's a digital thumbstick...

Example: Playing Beat2X you need to hit directions properly and on beat... using the stick I can do this...

you must have some magical good joystick thats better than everyone elses.

I like the gp2x but i feel cheated cause:
It has 2 cpu cores but you can only use one of it.
It has 64M ram but you can only use half of it.
It has USB2 but you can only use it with USB 1.1

I also need a Dreamcast.

What some people here forget about (the 'some' includes airwolf) is that there is more to GP2X gaming than emulation. With the PSP, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has poured their heart and soul (yay for cliches) into a really original and fun game. I personally have enjoyed games such as Tilematch, Beat2X and Spout more than I enjoyed emulators. Not saying that the GP2X isn't brilliant for emulation too, but what really gives it the advantage is the unique community behind it, and the fact that nobody here is unable to write a game or program if they want to.

That's what really sealed it for me. I love this community. I was part of the ps2-scene community at one point, but gave up because it was clearly never going to be as excellent as the GP32/GP2X community. The community is what sets the GP2X apart from other consoles.

pcklee123 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
I like the gp2x but i feel cheated cause:
It has 2 cpu cores but you can only use one of it.
actually, you can use both of them. They just haven't been used for anything productive YET.
It has 64M ram but you can only use half of it.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can use it all. Problem is, linux uses some of it (but it is still being used!)
It has USB2 but you can only use it with USB 1.1
Yeah, gamepark screwed up usb support on the gp32 as well, but an alternative program to run while connecting to usb fixed it. Hopefully this will happen for the gp2x as well.

nickspoon posted on Mar 18 2006 at 08:12 AM said:
I also need a Dreamcast.
I just got a dreamcast w/ 2 controllers, 2 vmus, and 8 games for $30 USD :D

Having friends who aren't into to retro gaming is awesome ;) I think I may pick up his N64 too...

i really dont see why people ahve such huge problems with the stick, its not perfect but it works ok for most things, i can beat gunstar heroes in drmd witht he stock stick and cap, i can play beat2x fine with it, i can get over 1000 height in spout. to me its a non issue, i need a new cap (lost mine at school >.< ) but other than that it serves me just fine

To me the stick is not THAT bad. It is not the best but it isn't unuseable. It was horrible with the stock cap so that may be part of the problem for those still using that. To those that have my cap, make sure it is installed low enough. If it is too high the dead zone will be too much.

Back