redbaron
sidetrac
sinistar
spectar
stratvox
szaxxon
trackfld
sqbert

do some of these like super qbert use the same samples as regular qbert? or do the samples just not exist? Where can I get these samples from? and I noticed that the sound samples for blockade are the same as the ones for blasto, but do i need to have two copies of the samples each named the same as the rom they are for like

blasto.zip for blasto
and another on called blockade.zip for blockade?

And where should these samples be stored on my sd card?

Thanks in advance...

You can download sample files from the official MAME site:
http://www.mame.net/downsamples.html

But I do not believe it is same samples which 0.34 used (most of them are probably not changed, though)

BTW, does Franxis' MAME for GP2X use sample file?

EDIT: and MAME don't need each sample file for clones (At least, PC MAME doesn't)

I think GP2X Mame doesn't support sound samples right now. I remember reading somewhere that GP32 Mame didn't support them either (never had one, though.)

I have the samples from the 0.33 version and they don't seem to be used right now.

Unfortunately Franxis' MAME does not support samples. It has been that way since the GP32 version. I asked about it but he didn't seem to interested in adding them or MAME was too slow to use them.

DaveC posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:29 AM said:
Unfortunately Franxis' MAME does not support samples. It has been that way since the GP32 version. I asked about it but he didn't seem to interested in adding them or MAME was too slow to use them.

Sample support is needed for some key games like Astro Blaster and even Galaxians for some sounds. Generally the early solid state logic chips used for sound are not emulated. Some speech chips are not emulated hence the samples. Some later versions of mame emulate the speech chips for games like Gorf removing the need for samples.

Franxis if you are reading please have a look and comment on whether sample playback could be added or if a separate build could be made for games needing samples.

thanks
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
vic20-ian posted on Dec 30 2005 at 09:24 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:29 AM said:
Unfortunately Franxis' MAME does not support samples.  It has been that way since the GP32 version.  I asked about it but he didn't seem to interested in adding them or MAME was too slow to use them.

Sample support is needed for some key games like Astro Blaster and even Galaxians for some sounds. Generally the early solid state logic chips used for sound are not emulated. Some speech chips are not emulated hence the samples. Some later versions of mame emulate the speech chips for games like Gorf removing the need for samples.

Franxis if you are reading please have a look and comment on whether sample playback could be added or if a separate build could be made for games needing samples.

thanks
Ian

I managed to get sampled sound working in a few games by rebuilding x-mame v0.102 - which is the most recent mame. However, single games work fine, but there are issues with memory I believe, as getting some games to work breaks others. I am still looking into it. Porting Outrun has my most attention at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back