Gp2x Name Official!

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Here you go:

Dear Consumers,

First of all ,I would like to say thank you very much for those who participated in naming contest.
Since August 16th, We 've chosen several names but these were already registerd.
Therefore GPX2 is alreay popular both in domestic and overseas and in order to avoid confusion ,we get to decide touse
gp2x as our new product name
We are announcing a new product name with the words sorry for let you guys waited.
We are going to send gp2x to not only prize winner but also to someone who gave us made and submitted lot's of
logos

Thank you

---below-----
A new product name: GP2X

*Prize winner:(GP2X)

-Overseas winner
nick name: Matt
email: mattba***@gmail.com
enrolment date: August 4th 2005 .12:38:04.920

-other winners
*domestic winner
Nick name :교현
email:tnm***@hanmail.net

*Overseas winner
Nick name :saurilla
Email:sauri***@libero.it

We will inform the prize winner personally.
Please let me know your physical address and phone #

we will send gp2x to prize winners around launching date .We will cover the shipping costs and taxes

Accessories could be changed.

Congrats to the winners!

FYI, saurilla submitted 95 names!
The first time spam has paid off? :) jk
Congrats saurilla!

The domestic winner (교현) submitted 7 names
One of which was GPea :) :p
shoulda chosen that one!
(his/her logos rock BTW)

pea posted on Sep 2 2005 at 04:04 AM said:
FYI, saurilla submitted 95 names!

Hola, that's like 1/10th of the entire submission.

Congrats to him/her anyway. It's still alot of effort. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I would have won :(

Ok so I didn't submit any names, but I still would like to have won ;)

mattbakse posted on Sep 2 2005 at 05:07 AM said:
wait so i won? how is that so, but this is awesome it's the first thing i've ever won

No, no. You misunderstand

You didn't win.

You see, actually I WON, but you'll be acting as a courier. When you receive the GPX2, just drop me an email and we'll arrange shipping to my home. I'll even pay for it myself, cuz I'm nice like that. :p

Seriously tho - congratulations. I wish I was you right now man. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I get the feeling that the 'competition' was a publicity stunt after the radical change in name...

who cares if it's a publicity stunt? it worked, companies will do anything to get their name out there.

P.S. I just got my email from them while writing this. :D

Yeah, really... who cares if it was a publicity stunt, is that really such a big deal? You should actually be happy about it whether it was one or not because think about it... If the stunt worked and attracted more potential buyers, that also means there are now more potential developers, which means that we now have a higher chance of this thing being successful and having a nice big independent scene! HOORAY FOR GAMEPARK HOLDINGS!!! and congratulations, Matt(even though I don't think that GP2X should have won, considering it's such a minor change... however, that's what they picked, and they could have gone with a lot of worse names. On the other hand though, their credibility would have been blown had they decided to say the hell with it and not give anybody anything)! Enjoy your free GP2X....................................... ya lucky bastard................ :p

aw matt... if you had'nt submittet gp2x is would have won with gpx2 :p which was the nearest name to gp2x :p

still congrats ;)

and i dont care if it maybe was a publicity stunt (which i dont think). 3 ppl are getting a free gp2x and everyone of us had the chance to get one :p so i would be happy if the launch more of those publicity stunts ;P

matt you are lucky considering that i sent gp2x on august 3rd to them via email and they said i had been entered, im not like holding any grudges or anything you probably do deserve to win it especially since you aint ever won owt but i sent the winning entry a day before :(
ive already contacted them over this and am awaiting theyre response but as you can see in the other posts i did send it. i knew i wouldnt win i didnt think i wouldnt win by sending a winning entry a day earlier!?!?! just thought none of my names would be picked and even more so when someone translated one to animal horny!! hahaha!! i hope that they actually sort it out and do the right thing although to be fair matt i wouldnt want them to take your gp2x off you after making such a fuss and telling you that you'd won.
im a bit upset about it really...... :( it just feels like a big con..... how was my idea not a winner coz it was a day early!?!? i think ill go and cry now. :(

Hmm...

Well...

I sent an email LAST YEAR with the GP2X name inside! SO A WINNER IS ME!!!

ALL YOUR GPX2 ARE BELONG TO ME!

i'm suprised at this and happy. I"m glad it wasn't a radical name change but to me GP2x sounds like someone was making an online game character or forum name and GP2 was taken so they did GP2x.

I really was hoping for GPenis.

it is officially a con, i had a reply from gpx2.com staff via email telling me below
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: "tommy mordecai" >
Subject: Re: competition
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:53:39 +0900

Hi Tommy,
As you might found out on the bulletin of our website, there were uncountably many naming suggestions. In your case, you put too many names like a dictionary and funny ideas in Korean letters so that most people might misunderstand your seriousness as mischievousness. And it does not contain GP2x.

Your name idea was the following 11 ideas and they pulled no interest of the person in charge. Also no interest to read any of your long explanation of the ideas. For your information, GPX was already registered by a Japanese company so that GPX2 or GPXX might be rejected by Authority. That's why we were going to change the name.
> evolution /gp evolution /gpx2 evolution /game play evolution /°ÔÀÓ ³îÀÌ ±âµ¿Àü°³ / ¼¼°èÀûÀÎ ´ç ±ØÄ¡; °ÔÀÓ ´ç ±ØÄ¡/global party (e)xtreme (2) /game party (e)xtreme.µ¿¹° º¸È£ ±¸¿ªÀº ÈïºÐÇÑ´Ù; °ÔÀÓ ³îÀÌ ÈïºÐ/game play (e)xcite /gp (e)xtreeme (e)xcitement/gp±ØÄ¡ ÈïºÐ -

I believe you will clearly understand our position.

Best Regards,

Kyutae Hwang

so i replied with

dear sir/madam

too many names like a dictionary? i am extremely insulted i did not name things like a dictionary also the "funny" korean names were purely down to the translation of babelfish, i was not being mischievious at all i was being serious (other people left gp enis that is mischievious and being funny gp2x, gpxx and all the others i sent were not sent to be nasty if you have a problem with the translations i suggest you contact babel fish and tell them their translation services are crap!)and trying to enter a competition matt won the name competition with one "gp2x" the same i put in my email to yourselves a day before. Yourselves asked for an explanation of the names this i gave - i adhered to all the rules i find it extrememly upsetting you should say such things especially when i purchased a gp32 and intend to purchase a gp2x which i entered the name on august 3rd and the guys who entered the same name the day after won.

i find it upsetting you should speak to your current and future customers in such a way.

Also since you were talking about the boards maybe you can read the postings about the whole thing being for publicity and a con.

thank you for your help and customer orientated service. I look forward to the continued success in europe of your gp32 and gp2x.

tommy

so its a con mine was accepted on august 3rd and wasnt viewed by the head of the competition but matts was on august 4th it stinks big time - good on you matt at least you get to have a gp2x i hope you enjoy it im in two minds whether i want to buy one now after being spoke to like im being nasty!!

Back