Gp2x Or Psp?

tugteen

Still Fresh
alright heres the deal

i got a psp. i hacked it, it was awesome. custom everything.
then the screen got cracked, and i, stupidly, tried to fix it. i broke the connector so basically psp gone.

now i have a choice to make, get a new psp or get a gp2x.

now i need an honest opinion psp or gp2x?

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place but i'm on the edge here between the 2 handhelds and i need help.

thanks

I use my '2X more than my PSP ... take the following things into account when making your decision:

• The '2X has TV-Out functionality (using a B.O.B.), the PSP does not.
• The '2X has USB device functionality (Joypads, Mouse and Keybord, for apps that support them, again, using a B.O.B.)
• The PSP can easily 'emulate' PS1 games (if you have the correct custom OE firmware)
• Emulators for the '2X are far more polished, updated and supported than their counterparts on the PSP (with GBA being the only exception I've encountered)

now this is an argument I have with myself daily. To be honest it depends on what mood i'm in. If I want to play a psp game or a psx game then its the psp, but I tend to use the 2x more for everything else.

When I say everything else I mean:
Megadrive
Snes
Nes
Lynx
Spectrum (although the psp speccy emu is fantastic)
Neo Geo
CPS2
Amiga (probably better on the psp)
Atari st
Commodore 64
Commodore plus 4
Amstard cpc
Mega cd
Gameboy
GBA (currently better on the psp, but the 2x is geting there thanks to exophase and Zodttd)
plus any other emulators that I can't think of at the moment.

Plus:
Quake
Wolfstien
Exult
Desent 1 & 2
Hexen
Heritic
Thruster
deal or no deal
protozoa
myriad
Doom
Blingo
BOR
Dasterdly Dungeon
Payback
Vektar

Plus everything else i'm forgetting again.

If I could somehow combine the two consols, that would suit me, but for now I will have both.

If you are asking for my personal opinion and I could only have one, then it would be the 2x.

That said, if you are used to a psp you may be a little dissapointed with the build quility of the 2x, but again I have a mk 1 first edition, so things may of changed since then.

Its your choice but bear in mind that you have posted this on a gp2x forum, so what do you expect us to say :)

I use to have a gp2x and I now have a PSP again
PSP pros : 1. just love this big screen!!! 2. PSONE games
PSP cons : 1. Comunnity is CRAP 2. converting videos is a pain sometimes.

Gp2s pros: 1. most of the videos just drag and drop no converting ! 2. community is great! you can really have fun talking about gp2x. 2. emus 3. better old school emus and apps

gp2x cons: 1. screen size too small ( if you had a psp before :) ) 2. joystick on it is crap what was the main reason for getting a psp again.

I have never heard of a GP2X with a cracked screen ;)
I'm not saying it won't happen but actually the GP2X is very durable!

Miika said:
... or maybe the user base doesn't treat our handheld like a toy :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou said:
Miika said:

Hmm, yeah maybe. But that leads to the conclusion that everybody loves it so much and want to treat it carefully.

Miika said:
TelcoLou said:
Miika said:

Hmm, yeah maybe. But that leads to the conclusion that everybody loves it so much and want to treat it carefully.

I once was on a checkout line and saw this kid in front of me playing with his GBAsp ... the thing looked like it was run over by a car; scratches all over the screen, nicks, scrapes etc ... it seemed like he loved the little thing, he couldn't take his eyes off the game.

... no point here, just information.

toomstone said:
alright heres the deal

i got a psp. i hacked it, it was awesome. custom everything.
then the screen got cracked, and i, stupidly, tried to fix it. i broke the connector so basically psp gone.

now i have a choice to make, get a new psp or get a gp2x.

now i need an honest opinion psp or gp2x?

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place but i'm on the edge here between the 2 handhelds and i need help.

thanks
Since you probably already have PSP games and/or accessories it may be best to stick with the PSP. If you want PSX emu then for sure stay with PSP as the GP2X hardware limits that.'

You probably don't mind the PSP fuzzy screen (when stretching emus) or the ghosting. If you did the GP2X is worth a look.

Like others I own both.

PSP : Big screen, great for movies, but does not easily play most formats like GP2X.

PSP : Perfect PS1 emulation (looks great on small screen) using Dark Alex firmware (he may be gone but his legacy lives on!)

PSP : GBA imho is better on PSP due to better upscaling of resolution, and also better compatibility (try Kingdon Hearts on GP2X, but it is a close call here).

GP2X : Overall, much better emulation quality on all systems apart from GBA and PS1. (controversial as some may prefer GP2X for GBA ... ). A lot of people say Amiga and SNES is much better on PSP. I think that is bollocks, if you can overclock to 250+ on GP2X, they are much better.

GP2X : Screen ratios - whilst a lot of PSP emulators include a mode to play in original format, you are only using a certain amount of the screen with black bordres - you feel dirty and cheated! <_< No probs on GP2X.

GP2X : You have the cradle, usb joypads, and TV out features to consider.

Basically both have pro's and cons, but are both great systems. If you are serious about emulation, but are not too fussed about PS1, I recommend the GP2X. I know you said you were already sold, but just adding a few pros and cons in case you have not ordered yet! Most emu's on GP2X are better than on PSP, just imo not the 2 i mentioned ...

With regards to homebrew, better selection on GP2X, but there are some good games on PSP too ...

Sorry to say but Dark Alex quit the PSP scene a around a week ago (maybe more) for personal reasons.

Check out www.dark-alex.org/ for the black banner, or http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/03/psp-mod...calls-it-quits/ for some news on the development.

A lot of people moan about him leaving, but I appreciate all he has done for homebrew, and the ease of making emulators run. My only concern is the next PSP game that comes out that is a 'must have' which would need a degrading, and then upgrading of firmware to the latest official one :angry:

if you want to play retro games and films on the go the gp2x is for you plus by the sounds of things you like to hack consoles so the gp2x would be great for you being open source and all.

if you want to play commercial games then the psp is more your thing.

personally i recommend the gp2x :)

TelcoLou said:
I once was on a checkout line and saw this kid in front of me playing with his GBAsp ... the thing looked like it was run over by a car; scratches all over the screen, nicks, scrapes etc ... it seemed like he loved the little thing, he couldn't take his eyes off the game.

... no point here, just information.
:lol: My parents used to say that personal items (like dolls) that were in that condition and dragged about were "loved", not beat up.

How do you get tons of scratches on the GBA SP screen? Mine has, like, one, but the outside looks as if I've been rubbing sandpaper on it, and the shoulder buttons died randomly.

Wow, that was really off-topic.

Back