Gp2x Overclocking Again...

Website
Visit site
I am still unsure of the current situation concerning overclocking. I remember hearing it said somewhere that the GP2X's first processor is itself underclocked to 200mhz in a similar way to the PSP. Is this true or just hot air? If true, and overclocking can be done in a similar way it will certainly open doors.

Also, have any devs tried overclocking above 200mhz yet? Or is this not at all possible at the monent because of Linux (Woogal seemed to suggest this could be the case in another thread) or some other reason?

Thanks for any help.

It's not underclocked. According to the MP2520F Data book the FCLK (ARM920T/940T clock)can be set up to 266MHz.

It's not underclocked. According to the MP2520F Data book the FCLK (ARM920T/940T clock)can be set up to 266MHz.
surely that means the processor itself is underclocked then? GPH must have chosen 200mhz for a reason, similar to Sony choosing 222mhz. Battery life could be that reason(thinking of the GP2x as a PMP)?

overclocking, in terms of just the processor, would therefore mean going over 266mhz?

or am I just wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
As it stands Linux does not sit well with overclocking or doing a whole lot with the CPU speed. People are looking into this.

Setting the CPU speed in raw hardware is very much like the GP32 and the chip does get a tad warmer when under load so I could not say if 266 is remotely sane.

266 may be the max supported speed in the MMSP2 reference kit (i.e. big box, different PCB layout etc.). Air flow and support circuits are different in the GP2X and as such results may vary ;), I would not think all GP2X's will overclock like that but time will tell.

I don't know much about the internal workings of anything but... surely there is one clock and then there are multiplyers giving different clock speeds for various different components like the TV out, LCD circuit etc. The MMSP2 will have some sort of software controlable multiplyer although any other chips will be running off a different multiplyer which would surely cause some sort of bottleneck or if the other functions of other chips are controlled by pinouts on the MMSP2 then this may cause problems elsewhere?

I'm sure this is explained in the tech specs of the MMSP2 somewhere but wait a week and we will know what is capable :)

Like I said at the beginning I don't know anything and I'm pretty sure multiplyer isn't even the correct word to use, so ignore this post if someone tells you different ;)

havnt even gotten it yet, and there is already talk of oc'ing it.. *sighs*

and?
part of the fun of getting something new is seeing what it can do.

As it stands Linux does not sit well with overclocking or doing a whole lot with the CPU speed. People are looking into this.

Setting the CPU speed in raw hardware is very much like the GP32 and the chip does get a tad warmer when under load so I could not say if 266 is remotely sane.

266 may be the max supported speed in the MMSP2 reference kit (i.e. big box, different PCB layout etc.). Air flow and support circuits are different in the GP2X and as such results may vary ;), I would not think all GP2X's will overclock like that but time will tell.
cool, thanks for the response. I was just curious as to why no developer had mentioned overclocking as yet, as it would surely help with Quake and Amiga etc.

cool, thanks for the response. I was just curious as to why no developer had mentioned overclocking as yet, as it would surely help with Quake and Amiga etc.

I think not blowing up our dev-kits helped more ;).

I am playing with the CPU but then I have no common sense :lol:.

I think not blowing up our dev-kits helped more ;).

I am playing with the CPU but then I have no common sense :lol:.
Exactly. There will be those who mess around with the cpu so that the other, more cautious people don't have to mess theirs up. Plus, if the devboard people tried to overclock and it fried the gp2x, then we would have no one to code stuff for us so that there are programs for it when our gp2x's arrive. Better to play it safe, we will move on to overclocking soon enough, just be patient.

Back