Gp2x Ownership Screen

pipa

Still Fresh
Website
candyaddict.com
Hi all,

I'd like to change a screen or screens in my GP2X to show that I own it (in case it gets lost and someone honest finds it and wants to return it). Something like:
This GP2X property of
Brian Pipa - brian@blahblah.blah

I did this with my USB Flash drive by putting an if_found_read_this.txt file in the root, that's what made me think of it.

I was thinking the boot screen would be a great place to put it, but is the boot screen changeable? All the skins I downloaded don't include the boot screen so my guess is no. So, barring that, can I just edit the body.png in a skin and add in my contact info, then install the skin on my GP2X? Are there any tricks to the skins? I don't want to do something to hose my GP2X.

I'll post some pictures once I do this (though my graphic editing skills are WEAK)

Brian

Not sure about the boot screen, I think you'd need to compile your own kernel for that - just a little excessive.

The background thing will work though. Just edit the png and copy to nand. Job's a good 'un.

Make sure that if you lose it you do so with a full set of NiMH batteries though, or whoever finds it'll just see some wierd vertical lines and drop it in the nearest bin...

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 29 2006 at 02:33 PM said:
Make sure that if you lose it you do so with a full set of NiMH batteries though, or whoever finds it'll just see some wierd vertical lines and drop it in the nearest bin...

LOL! I would hope nobody would thow it away! :) I don't plan on losing it, but just in case it is found by someone honest, this will help.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
some one could peel the sticker off..

here's a good in-between:

Engrave your name into a non-removeable part of the gp2x.

Don't plan on selling it tho...

I like th eidea of having my name/email on-screen. At least that way if someone does find it and are honest, it will be easy for them to see who owns it. And if someone steals/keeps it, my name/email will be on-screen for all to see (at least until they figure out how to change skins). Maybe if a kid finds it their parents might see my name and try and return it.

brian

I would imagine it can't be too hard to replace the bootscreen in the kernel, I don't think you would need to "compile" anything.

whiskthecat posted on Mar 29 2006 at 06:30 PM said:
I dont know of too many "honest" people.
They are few and far between, but they are out there. I'm one of them. :)

Brian

I'd tell you I have it and offer to bring it to you and then beat you up for your girlfriend. If you didn't have a girlfriend, I'd probably take a sister or two instead.

whiskthecat posted on Mar 29 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
I had a palm vx returned to me once. it was worth about £200 at the time. It was in a jacket that I left in a pub. Thankfully I also had a payslip in another pocket so he had my work address.

The cheeky bugger left a note on the palm saying something like "next time you get drunk try to remember where you left your stuff" so he clearly knew how to use it too.

He just dropped it off at reception wrapped up with my name on it, didn't even ask if there was a reward. There are still some good people in the world.

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 30 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
whiskthecat posted on Mar 29 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
I had a palm vx returned to me once. it was worth about £200 at the time. It was in a jacket that I left in a pub. Thankfully I also had a payslip in another pocket so he had my work address.

The cheeky bugger left a note on the palm saying something like "next time you get drunk try to remember where you left your stuff" so he clearly knew how to use it too.

He just dropped it off at reception wrapped up with my name on it, didn't even ask if there was a reward. There are still some good people in the world.
How nice :).

At my school you don't even have to lose things to lose them...

I never got my pen drive back. It was found, and a teacher said he'd found it during assembly. He even said my name, which had been carved into the back with a pair of dividers. Yet when I went up to collect it at the end, somebody had already nicked it.

The worst thing is not losing my pen drive, that can be replaced. The worst thing is that my pen drive contained schoolwork, which I'd spent quite a bit of time on, and sourcecode, which I spent A LOT of time on. Sure, I have a backup, but it's old, and doesn't contain any of the code I did recently (about 30 hours' worth, at least).

nickspoon posted on Mar 30 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
I never got my pen drive back. It was found, and a teacher said he'd found it during assembly. He even said my name, which had been carved into the back with a pair of dividers. Yet when I went up to collect it at the end, somebody had already nicked it.

The worst thing is not losing my pen drive, that can be replaced. The worst thing is that my pen drive contained schoolwork, which I'd spent quite a bit of time on, and sourcecode, which I spent A LOT of time on. Sure, I have a backup, but it's old, and doesn't contain any of the code I did recently (about 30 hours' worth, at least).
always make backups... I accidently deleted a whole project of mine and no backups 0_O

I also always make backups after Frontpage destroyed every bit of PHP code in my entire website, making me lose the will to continue and shut the whole thing down.

However, the backups I have are fairly old, and again, I don't know if I can be bothered to get it back to the state it's in.

Fheusel made a boot logo replacer tool. So you can make a custom boot screen with your data or logo. You can download it here.
There is a thread in the german forum, so if you speak german you can go to this topic.

Regards,
Stephan

Back