Gp2x Power Supply, Help!

atlewis

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have a AC adaptor, but I don't wanna fry my nice new GP2x >.< What settings should I put it on? It says the input is 230v ~ 50hz if that helps at all, there are two polarities one with + at the top and one with - I have it on the - one, the volts I can chose from are, 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, 12v. I tried it on 3v quickly the other day but it didn't work.

Have a look at your power supply and see how many amps it can output. It should have a label on it saying "Output:" and a couple of numbers after it, One should be the voltage and the other should be the ampage (Ma/h, mah, A). It`s best to have as much as possible, Say 1 amp or 1000 m/ah and over, The GP2x can work with less, But there is no guarantee how reliable it will be. You will also need to set the polarity to centre negative (So the tip of the adaptor is the negative terminal)
powerplug-negative.jpg
and you should set the voltage to 3 volts.

If it still does not work, It may not be supplying enough Amps.

Trooper

atlewis said:
I have a AC adaptor, but I don't wanna fry my nice new GP2x >.< What settings should I put it on? It says the input is 230v ~ 50hz if that helps at all, there are two polarities one with + at the top and one with - I have it on the - one, the volts I can chose from are, 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, 12v. I tried it on 3v quickly the other day but it didn't work.
I'm quite concerned when you say that you tried it quickly on 3V... all it takes is a split second plugged in at the wrong polarity to fry your 2X...

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
I'm quite concerned when you say that you tried it quickly on 3V... all it takes is a split second plugged in at the wrong polarity to fry your 2X...

Actually I sent 6V with the wrong polarity during half a second in my GP2x and I did not fry it. Maybe I have been lucky. Now I have stopped using my universal power supply with various devices and I have locked its settings with some adhesive tape.

atlewis said:
I tried it but it wouldn't switch on, it works with batteries though.
Out put 3-4.5-6 7.5-9-12
Current: 300mA3.6VA(max)
300 mA is not enough. You need 1A.

Bluepixie said:
atlewis said:
Current: 300mA3.6VA(max)
Yup that's your problem right there, get at least a 1A PSU.

Can anyone suggest an electronics supplier to get one from, and model information etc? I'd rather buy one that someone already has and is using for this purpose.

Also, am I right in assuming if I buy one for the cradle, that powers the GP2X as well?

simonb said:
Can anyone suggest an electronics supplier to get one from, and model information etc? I'd rather buy one that someone already has and is using for this purpose.

Also, am I right in assuming if I buy one for the cradle, that powers the GP2X as well?
Where are you located ?, As it will make it easier for people suggest options for you.

Trooper

trooper said:
Where are you located ?, As it will make it easier for people suggest options for you.
D'oh! Of course!

I'm in the UK...

I've managed to find info that says that I'll need 2 power supplies - one for the cradle and one for the GP2x.

As this is the case, all I really want at the moment is a power supply for the dock itself, and I'm guessing I need something with a high ampage as I want to run either up to 4 USB controllers, or a USB-Wifi/USB Keyboard/USB mouse (and probably wireless ones...)/possibly a USB HDD.

If someone can take the time to provide a reply, I'll promise to try and condense this information into the wiki.

S.

possible to rig a USB to GP2X power-in cable? power the GP2X strait from one of the dock USB ports then if you don't mind losing a port. saves lugging a second psu to your mates house then for some multiplayer retro action some one wanna look into it? As Oddball said "I just ride em I don't know what makes em work"

liquidphantom said:
possible to rig a USB to GP2X power-in cable? power the GP2X strait from one of the dock USB ports then if you don't mind losing a port. saves lugging a second psu to your mates house then for some multiplayer retro action some one wanna look into it? As Oddball said "I just ride em I don't know what makes em work"
Not sure if that will work... taken from http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

USB powered devices

The USB connector provides a single 5 volt wire from which connected USB devices may power themselves. A given segment of the bus is specified to deliver up to 500 mA. This is often enough to power several devices, although this budget must be shared among all devices downstream of an unpowered hub. A bus-powered device may use as much of that power as allowed by the port it is plugged into. Bus-powered hubs can continue to distribute the bus provided power to connected devices but the USB specification only allows for a single level of bus-powered devices from a bus-powered hub. This disallows connection of a bus-powered hub to another bus-powered hub. Many hubs include external power supplies which will power devices connected through them without taking power from the bus. Devices that need more than 500 mA or higher than 5 volts must provide their own power. When USB devices (including hubs) are first connected they are interrogated by the host controller, which enquires of each their maximum power requirements. However, seems that any load connected to USB port may be treated by operating system as device. The host operating system typically keeps track of the power requirements of the USB network and may warn the computer's operator when a given segment requires more power than is available and may shut down devices in order to keep power consumption within the available resource.
USB power usage:

Bus-powered hubs: Draw Max 100 mA at power up and 500 mA normally.
Self-powered hubs: Draw Max 100 mA, must supply 500 mA to each port.
Low power, bus-powered functions: Draw Max 100 mA.
High power, bus-powered functions: Self-powered hubs: Draw Max 100 mA, must supply 500 mA to each port.
Self-powered functions: Draw Max 100 mA.
Suspended device: Max 0.5 mA
USB voltage:

Supplied voltage by a host or a powered hub ports is between 4.75 V and 5.25 V. Maximum voltage drop for bus-powered hubs is 0.35 V from it's host or hub to the hubs output port. All hubs and functions must be able to send configuration data at 4.4 V, but only low-power functions need to be working at this voltage. Normal operational voltage for functions is minimum 4.75 V.

simonb said:
Not sure if that will work... taken from http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Shame. Ok if that doesn't work, how about a modded PSU with a Y splitter, one Voltage spur of the cable voltage and amp regulated for the actual GP2X and one for the dock. Seen as most people will run with one of the variable PSU, i'm sure it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to come up with a splitter cable or small splitter box to use.

Ok, so i have read numerous threads about the power supply of the F-200. I went to RadioShack and completely forgot the power supply information that it needed but I somehow remembered the conector that it needed. I had bought a 6V 800mA power adapter. I am woundering what would happen if i were to connect this to my F-200? Would it fry it or would it somehow work with it? I just don't feel like going back to RadioShack just to exchange the power adapter for the 3V one.

zero: don't plug it in. you're providing twice as much voltage and not enough amperage.

to everybody else: you cannot power the F200 from the cradle at all, AFAIK.

I don't know how hard it is for others to do this, but I got the official PSU from gamersection.ca and never looked back... it's not like it's more expensive than whatever you guys are buying at radio shack =P

To power up the gp2x you need adaptor which uses 3v/1a, and for the cradle 5v/3a.
You can get adaptor from argos for the gp2x console they sell them for £6.99 which is made by company called masterplug and for the cradle you can get the adaptor from maplins they sell them for £19.99 there you are you will have both adaptors in one ago both of these shops are in the uk.

Play-asia and divineo uk have the psu only for the gp2x console not the cradle.

xcen said:
zero: don't plug it in. you're providing twice as much voltage and not enough amperage.

to everybody else: you cannot power the F200 from the cradle at all, AFAIK.
I don't know how hard it is for others to do this, but I got the official PSU from gamersection.ca and never looked back... it's not like it's more expensive than whatever you guys are buying at radio shack =P

Tks for the store info but ....

GP2X AC Adapter
[GP2XACUNIT] $18.95

Multivolt AC Adapter for GP2X
Supports 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz
Official Gamepark accessory
Comes with european type cord (compatible with any power cord worldwide)

I need one for the US :) ......

hmm I thought it was cheaper than that. Mind you I had bought that with my MK2 like 2 years ago...

The one I got has a NorthAm type plug... not sure what the deal is, I woul email them to ask about it, the one they sold me has a regular US/Canada plug thingie o_O... it's a shop in montreal, I don't know why they would sell the european model? Maybe the other one is backorder, no idea but you should email them, they reply fairly quickly

Yeah its funny cause the GP2xStore is the only one that sells the 'US/Euro' style.. all other shops including gamersection.com sell only the eur version... really weird...

I am having trouble finding a Power Adapter for the GP2X and cradle in the US. My problem is the whole "regulated" versus "unregulated" or center positive versus center negative.

I have read on the forums that the requirements for GP2X is 3VDC@1000mA, center - and crade is 5VDC@3amps, center +.

I have searched ebay and have found this for the GP2X:

power adapter

And this for the cradle:

cradle power adapter

They do not say that they are regulated. Will these two do the trick? Thanks for the help or if any US owners know of a specific model that would be better...please let me know!

Thanks,
Rob

I bought the official GP2X adapter from the GP2Xstore. It was a few bucks extra but I took no chances considering what other people have done to their GP2X.

I used an old 5V 1A modem adapter out of my stash for the cradle. Works like a charm with a kb/mouse/joy/flash drive attached.

Back