Gp2x Power Supply Question

paul_nicholls

Still Fresh
Hi all,
I am planning on buying a GP2X very shortly and am curious about the external power supply.

From what I have read the GP2X requires a 3.3V @ 1A minimum power supply, but various people seem to be using 3V supplies quite happily...

Do I really need a 3.3V supply or can I get away with a 3V supply as long as it can supply > 1A current?

I am asking as I might have a 3V supply that I could use without buying a new one, but I thought'd I better check first :)

cheers,
Paul.

I'm currently using a 3v / 2.x amp adaptor (I think it's 2.3, but it'd take lots of effort to find it and check.)
From other threads I've read in which other people have complained about PSU issues, it seems that 1A is not enough.... Most applications on the GP2X will require some overclocking, and 1A is not able to supply enough power for this. (at 3v, anyway.) To avoid issues, I advise a 2A, like what I have. I've not experienced any issues. Just remember to take your batteries out before using the adaptor.

Edit: scary shit. You've got the same surename as me. Even spelt the same.

You can also get the official power supply, it doesn't cost a fortune, and I find it really great (it is about half the size of a laptop power supply, and unlike non offical power supplies, you will not lose your warranty if you used it)

I'm currently using a 3v / 2.x amp adaptor (I think it's 2.3, but it'd take lots of effort to find it and check.)
From other threads I've read in which other people have complained about PSU issues, it seems that 1A is not enough.... Most applications on the GP2X will require some overclocking, and 1A is not able to supply enough power for this. (at 3v, anyway.) To avoid issues, I advise a 2A, like what I have. I've not experienced any issues. Just remember to take your batteries out before using the adaptor.

Thanks for the iformation :)
It seems like a bad design if one has to remove the batteries prior to using the adaptor! Oh well...

Edit: scary shit. You've got the same surename as me. Even spelt the same.

LOL! Twilight Zone music mode initiated!! :D

cheers,
Paul.

You can also get the official power supply, it doesn't cost a fortune, and I find it really great (it is about half the size of a laptop power supply, and unlike non offical power supplies, you will not lose your warranty if you used it)

Thanks for the tip :)

cheers,
Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the iformation :)
It seems like a bad design if one has to remove the batteries prior to using the adaptor! Oh well...
Thank him for the dis-information.

Why do you think you have to remove the batteries before using a power adaptor? I've been using a 3V 1.5A power adaptor for over a year now and I still have the original batteries installed. Yes, that's right, the original batteries that the GP2X came with. One year on and still kicking with no sign of a problem.

Don't listen to him about the batteries. Leave them in for as long as you like. Well, until they need replacing because they're drained. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back