Gp2x User Guide Released

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
I have released the first version of the GP2X User Guide. It contains over 30 pages of useful guides for your GP2X starting from installing and using software, listening to Music, watching Videos, reading E-Books, firmware flashing and an introduction to developing on the GP2X.

If you notice any mistakes in the guide or have a suggestion on a new section to add please contact me by email at guyfawkes@NOSPAMgbaemu.com (remove NOSPAM) or on IRC - EFNet #gp2xdev. In particular we are looking for a video encoding guide so if you can help out please let me know.

You can download the GP2X User Guide from GP2X Archive at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933

I'm trying it... Looks like I've got the settings for mencoder.exe right, but the Atlantis episode I tried had some ugly business with VBR which caused the sound to go out of sync.

Also (perhaps) a point of note: for the EBookreader, you should word-wrap the text files you're planning to read yourself, in your favorite text-editor. The GP2X will only do character wrapping and it's ugly. If you do, use a line width of 52 characters. The display is actually 53 columns wide, but writing a character to the 53rd column causes an extra newlines to appear, which is ugly.

Great work by the way!

Edit: Frick, I should have read more carefully before replying: you've already got a section on that. In any case, I still believe a word-wrap of 52 will give the best results.

Also, the T-Mode colored screens can be used for color testing, but my guess is their primary purpose is to check for dead pixels.

/me is putting links on the wiki. *everywhere*

any plans on releasing a complete devkit (minsys, devkitgp2x, sdl, demo preinstalled)?

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 1 2005 at 02:13 PM said:
I have released the first version of the GP2X User Guide. It contains over 30 pages of useful guides for your GP2X starting from installing and using software, listening to Music, watching Videos, reading E-Books, firmware flashing and an introduction to developing on the GP2X.

If you notice any mistakes in the guide or have a suggestion on a new section to add please contact me by email at guyfawkes@NOSPAMgbaemu.com (remove NOSPAM) or on IRC - EFNet #gp2xdev. In particular we are looking for a video encoding guide so if you can help out please let me know.

Thanks for the guide Guyfawkes. After reading it, I now want my GP2X to arrive even more swiftly... hurry Mr Postman.

Attic

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:13 PM said:

You can download the GP2X User Guide from GP2X Archive at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933
Ever thought about asking GPH to make this the official manual? :lol:

no_skill - I have no plans to release a complete devkit but I would guess devkitgp2x will come packaged with SDL or something sooner or later. have to ask wintermute about that

OrR - didnt know you had a gp2x :) craig has shown gph the manual and they are interested in using it. also a few people are interested in translating the manual into other languages.

I think it was Guy Fawlke's user guide that got me started on the GP32, so I am so grateful for this!

I am going to clean my flat, have a nice cuppa coffee, and get to grips with this little beast later!

Really, thanks so much. I take it this thread is sticked?

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 2 2005 at 03:11 PM said:
OrR - didnt know you had a gp2x :) craig has shown gph the manual and they are interested in using it. also a few people are interested in translating the manual into other languages.
Not yet. Waiting for the second batch since I was a little late with my preorder.
If you need someone to translate it to German, I can do it.

I have released a new version of the GP2X User Guide. This update is mostly minor changes to various parts of the guide and an update to the GP2X dev introduction which should be more complete now (still not finished though) as I forgot to mention you need MinSys installed. Thanks to everyone that helped out and emailed me additions or changes, I have added you to the Thanks page in the guide.

In the next few days I will be giving the guide to a few people who will translate the guide to German and French, if you would like to translate to another language please let me know at guyfawkes@NOSPAMgbaemu.com or PM me.

You can download the new version from GP2X Archive at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933

when i try to click links in the guide using Foxit Reader 1.3, it crashes. i dont use Adobe reader because its a bloated peice of crap, anychance you can make it not crash in my reader?

Back