Gp2x W Firmware 3.0 Will Not Get Past Boot Screen

stigglesworth

Still Fresh
Hi,

I've had my Value Pack GP2X for about three weeks now and has been working absolutely fine. However, over the past week or so it has been freezing on the first screen (the "welcome" screen on FW 3.0).

After repeated switch on/off attempts, it will get past the screen to 'starting up' and proceed normally, however on switching off it will again freeze on the first welcome screen.

Today, I tried switching on the GP2X and it again froze on the welcome screen, and after switching off for 15 seconds and switching back on it switches on to the rainbow colours indicative of a lack of power. I have also tried booting up without the SD card which again does not show any improvement.

Thinking power was the problem, I have tried booting my GP2x with the 2500mAh batteries supplied with my GP2X, some 1300mAh Philips NiMH rechargables and the power adapter recommended to me by GP2X.co.uk, set to the correct polarity. Depending on the occassion, it will either boot to coloured lines or freeze on the welcome screen.

After a bit of reading on this forum, I think that the firmware, or more specifically the booting software is the problem, however before attempting a firmware upgrade (which i think might be a bit difficult seen as my GP2X won't get past the first screen) I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and/or could offer me a bit of advice.

Many thanks,
Stig

stigglesworth posted on Mar 24 2007 at 04:09 PM said:
Hi,

I've had my Value Pack GP2X for about three weeks now and has been working absolutely fine. However, over the past week or so it has been freezing on the first screen (the "welcome" screen on FW 3.0).

After repeated switch on/off attempts, it will get past the screen to 'starting up' and proceed normally, however on switching off it will again freeze on the first welcome screen.

Today, I tried switching on the GP2X and it again froze on the welcome screen, and after switching off for 15 seconds and switching back on it switches on to the rainbow colours indicative of a lack of power. I have also tried booting up without the SD card which again does not show any improvement.

Thinking power was the problem, I have tried booting my GP2x with the 2500mAh batteries supplied with my GP2X, some 1300mAh Philips NiMH rechargables and the power adapter recommended to me by GP2X.co.uk, set to the correct polarity. Depending on the occassion, it will either boot to coloured lines or freeze on the welcome screen.

After a bit of reading on this forum, I think that the firmware, or more specifically the booting software is the problem, however before attempting a firmware upgrade (which i think might be a bit difficult seen as my GP2X won't get past the first screen) I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and/or could offer me a bit of advice.

Many thanks,
Stig

Well I can tell you this those rainbow colors may be do to one of the chips in your GP2X being messed up. Awhile back I had a similar problem with a TV Game and I opened it up and sure enought the chip was messed up their was some type of liquid that had dried onto the chip and it caused the game not to work. Sure enough if this isn't a batterie problem I'm affraid you will have to send it in for repairs or do what I did with my TV Game open it up to see what the problem is. I never had any problems with my GP2X even after I hooked up a EXT power cord and the USB cord to it at the same time on a daily basis not knowing it could kill my GP2X. Also I can help more if you tell me what you think may have caused this.

I also think that you should downgrade and then upgrade back to .3.0.0 you may have corrupted the fireware file on the NAND memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only happens once in a while? Sounds like your batteries may not be powerful enough to get through the boot process. 1300MaH is not very high capacity, and if their charge capacity has been reduced through use and stuff they might not be powerful enough to boot the GP2X. I would recommend 2500MaH batteries, they can be purchased for quite cheap these days.

But you say it happens even with a power adaptor?

Mudi posted on Mar 24 2007 at 06:27 PM said:
It only happens once in a while? Sounds like your batteries may not be powerful enough to get through the boot process. 1300MaH is not very high capacity, and if their charge capacity has been reduced through use and stuff they might not be powerful enough to boot the GP2X. I would recommend 2500MaH batteries, they can be purchased for quite cheap these days.

But you say it happens even with a power adaptor?

I've tried it with 2500mAh batteries and with a power adaptor. When i turn it on, it just gives a white screen with rainbow coloured bars, and then after about 15 attempts it will boot to the first screen.

I am doing a firmware downgrade to 2.0 at the moment, but how long does it usually take? I managed to get it to boot to the first screen with a power adaptor and held Start & Select and it is now on the firmware upgrading message and has been for about 45 minutes. Obviously, I don't want to switch it off while it is on that screen so any advice you could give would be extremely helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should only take a minute or so. It sounds like your GP2X may be defective, unless someone can give better advice you might want to look into exchanging it for a new one.

Back