Gp2X Wiz Vs Pandora

benjsh

Still Fresh
Hi
I am about to get a gp2x wiz and now I just read about the Pandora.

I see it is almost the same but Pandora is a little faster.

Anyone know other differences?
Pandora seems to have longer battery?

Basically I need to play dreamcast emulator on it.

I have around 50 Original Dreamcast games so I wonder if I can download the emulator versions and play legally?
Is the gp2x powerfully enough to run the dreamcast emulator or need the pandora?
Thanks for a great forum.

I'm curious why you think the Pandora is only a little faster, what was it which you saw which made you think that?

Sorry for the strange question I'm just trying to improve the site to explain it better if possible.

I thought the Pandora was bigger and more powerful in every respect. It's twice the price of the Wiz and three times the price of the Dingoo but if you want DC emulation you don't have much choice.

Because it says on the site:
http://gbax.com/gp2x.html
ARM9 CPU @ 533mhz
3d acceleration

http://gbax.com/pandoraxxx.html
ARM® Cortex-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux

so I figure one unit is 533 mhz and the other 600 so may it is 10-15 Faster.

It says both have 3d acceleration

benjsh said:
Because it says on the site:
http://gbax.com/gp2x.html
ARM9 CPU @ 533mhz
3d acceleration

http://gbax.com/pandoraxxx.html
ARM® Cortex-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux

so I figure one unit is 533 mhz and the other 600 so may it is 10-15 Faster.

It says both have 3d acceleration

Comparing clock speed is pretty meaningless when they are different processors. The CPU in the Pandora is a much more modern affair (it's the same CPU used in the latest iPhone, among other things)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i notice it now.
But why dont they write that 2 gen later processor 200% faster than the wiz.. :)

If you want to someday see dreamcast on a handheld running full speed I'm sure you will see it on the Pandora first!

The Pandora really will put the Wiz to shame!

I personally, Don't like the Wiz but that doesn't mean you wont. I bought a Gp2x F200 a few weeks back, just till my Pandora comes

After seeing all the cool stuff already being developed on the Pandora there is no way I'm going to be without one, have a look on Youtube, there are some awesome videos of software running, and its not even out yet!

To name a few N64, Dreamcast, (not full speed YET!) Full speed PS1,SNES,Amiga, and many more....

Its a tough question, especially in these parts ;) Cash aside, the summary above is about right.. the Panda is much more expensive, but also much more powerful. Its not just a CPU questions, its also a design question .. the Pandora is much more efficient internally (less bottlenecks) which is quite significantin many applications (in a lot of tests that matter to me, the Pandora will be several orders faster than a Wiz). Pandora also has a keyboard, etc. Pandora will ship 'soon', but Wiz is already shipping and a well known quantity. That said, Wiz is a very good little machine -- very nice screen (one of the best ever in a handheld, imho), and has a decent compliment of software. The scene is a good one for all these gadgets.

The devices have some overlap, but many differences.. do you want a mini palmtop computer with game controls, or is a little emu console for SNES/etc really what you want?

If price was the same, Pandora kills Wiz kills Dingoo, but theres the price point you want to pay, the features you want to pay for etc.

If you want it _now_ get a Wiz or a Dingoo; if you want it in a month or two, and its not up to price, get a Pandora?

(Bias .. I'm a dev who has most gadgets, but I'm working more on Pandora than the others right now, but I like to be very fair so at least I'm letting you know. If I was to just say a name, I'd say Panda or Panda+Wiz-or-Dingoo-to-hold-you-over :)

jeff

I'm a little worried that the Pandora is going to kill Wiz development when it's released. I'm definately getting one but most likely not from the first batch. So what's everyone's opinion on this? Will the Wiz be D.O.P.A.(Dead on Pandora's Arrival)?

Orion4874 said:
I'm a little worried that the Pandora is going to kill Wiz development when it's released. I'm definately getting one but most likely not from the first batch. So what's everyone's opinion on this? Will the Wiz be D.O.P.A.(Dead on Pandora's Arrival)?

I'm going to say probably not. Wiz development already appears to be pretty slow going, possibly because Pandora has already stolen interest. I don't expect this to worsen because most devs interested in Pandora have been anticipating it for a long time now.

And GPH are now saying they are releasing a new console next year, so has the Wiz has already been abandoned by them? Strange thing to announce this soon.

craigix said:
And GPH are now saying they are releasing a new console next year, so has the Wiz has already been abandoned by them? Strange thing to announce this soon.
With this news, I'm beginning to think GPH doesn't deserve to continue making hardware. The Wiz is a great machine, but now they have ripped everyone off (again, according to GP2X F-100 owners). But, as long as it isn't more expensive than 179.99 USD, I could see myself getting the next console if it doesn't have so many of the same flaws(bad d-pad, screen tearing, etc.).

Whatever they do, I hope they don't create another flaw-filled console, even if it is powerful.

EDIT: It also makes me wonder if that price drop was JUST for Christmas...it sounds like the Wiz will be no more quite soon. :(

Craig could you post a link to that? Interesting in any case. I guess they're taking chinese competition seriously and trying to outrun them. The dingoo people will surely not stand by and not upgrade regularly. Generally speaking this (commodification) and integration to multipurpose devices are the main trends here in my opinion. Interesting to see what they'll both come up with, even if I might skip the next batch for a phone of some sorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itndHry3Sj8

It is all a bit weird. I did tweet it but no one seemed to pick it up.

Wow, that was some video.

"Our games are similar to the DS or much better than them. And even the prices are cheaper than them."
"And even the battery takes like four to five hours, more than the DS and the PSP."

The only information on the new handheld is that it'll have a 3.5" LCD (I can hear DaveC weeping) and that it'll have something that nothing else has. I wonder if Pandora's looming arrival finally lit a fire under their ass?

If they're aiming to stand out with a gimmick, my bet is on a accelometer. Pity, I got interested when I had no info, and after that misinfo I think I'm looking forward more to what the chinese will come up with.

Back