Gp32/gp2X/wiz/dingoo Coding Competition

Iorgy77

emu parasite kid
Website
Visit site
WEB PAGE IS LIVE: http://webpoint-servers.com/pacc/

I want to organize a small coding competition which will have a entry deadline of about a month.

Judges are yet to be chosen and rules arent concrete yet. But basically this will be open to everything: original games, ports, emulators, scene demos, launchers/menus/frontends and backend stuff that makes coders lives easier too. Significant updates to existing stuff will be accepted but the update would have to be pretty significant.

At the moment I have vouched $100AU to the prize pool and Gruso has put up $50AU so we are looking for more pledges. The money will be transfered via paypal to someone the community trusts until the time comes to pay the winners.

If you want to donate towards the prize pool please let me know in this thread and I will keep track of it here. Also please suggest any ideas to make the competition better here as well.

I will be posting this in all the subforums for each device.

Current Donations to prize pool:
Iorgy77 - $100AUD
mac-10 - £25
relliker - 50€
fishybawb - $50AUD
Edy from www.openpandora.es - $250USD
Lafazar - 100€
stickfight - £100
Gruso - $50AUD
Trooper - £50
fbustamantegamboa - 30€
SONY - $50AUD
may88 - £5
Magic Sam - 20€
Emphy - 50€

Pledged Donations:

ALL PLEDGES HAVE NOW BEEN DONATED! Anything we get from this point forward just adds to the prize pool.

edit: EvilDragon will be holding the prize money in his paypal account until the time comes to distribute them. Please contact me on codingcompetion@googlemail.com and I will pass on his paypal address.

Sounds good, but maybe narrow your scope down a bit, so people have something to aim for. Unbounded contests usually have poor turnout, as people spend more time brainstorming than creating.

Might I suggest a themed contest, like any game involving tanks, or a racing game, or a game with a cool CreativeCommons soundtrack.

And as you are footing the bill, maybe pick something you would like to see improved... Or maybe require source code so others can build off content created for this contest (and port to platforms that weren't supported by that Author).

Hope the Wiz gets more ports; development seems slow for it.

mth411 said:
Sounds good, but maybe narrow your scope down a bit, so people have something to aim for. Unbounded contests usually have poor turnout, as people spend more time brainstorming than creating.

Might I suggest a themed contest, like any game involving tanks, or a racing game, or a game with a cool CreativeCommons soundtrack.

And as you are footing the bill, maybe pick something you would like to see improved... Or maybe require source code so others can build off content created for this contest (and port to platforms that weren't supported by that Author).

I kinda like the idea of it being completely open. That way if people are already working on something or have some unreleased stuff laying around this might give them the incentive to polish it up and release it. As it is a short competition it might be not enough time to make something that adheres to a strict theme. Also I would just like to see some new stuff released hopefully for all platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay, a compo! I've been waiting for one ever since GBAX 2008 was postponed... <_<

A new competition is always good but... there are 2 competitions runing at the moment:

The Boardgame Competition organized by GLBasic.com has been extended until the 12 February 2010. The prizes are:

1st place
- GP2X Wiz
- GLBasic SDK premium (or 2x USB-dance mat)
- GLBasic T-Shirt

2nd place
- GP2X Wiz

3rd place
More info: http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=boardgames-compo&lang=en

And:

New deadline for BennuGD contest
Splinter has extended the deadline of first GPH sponsored BennuGD Wiz / PC contest until the 31st of January 2010 (included). And also, remember that even if you didn’t register, you can still take part in the contest.
More info: http://www.bennugd.org/?q=node/50

Maybe its a good thing to control the "timming" of your competition.
Byes!

Both of those competitions force the use of either program language and neither cater for gp2x, dingoo or gp32.
Maybe I dont consider either of those competitions relevant to this scene besides their prizes being a wiz.
Byes!

If there isnt interest in this competition then I just drop it, its just something fun for those of us waiting painfully for some good news on the pandora front.

competitions are always great :)
my main problem is that they usually require use of a certain language (like GLBasic or Bennu as above)

i'm planning a launcher GUI with a quite new style, so if the competition will be really open for anything, i may try to finish it in one month

btw, narrowing down a little bit may also be a good idea. for exampe there are no native racing games, or games using the 3D hw of the WIZ (the hw is even better than PSP, but we still don't have any game showing these capabilities). native games on the much weaker Dingoo (like the drifting car game or the 3D horror/adventure) are much more impressive...

I think an open contest is a good idea. Anarchy, the Spanish distributor, wants to organize a new theme contest (the previous one was dedicated to tower defense game) for only the Wiz.

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=70616

This open competition could start at the first or (better) mid-February, and it would attract more people.

How about everyone who wants to enter the competition donates e.g. 5$, and the winner gets it all ?

Br
paines

Mr 2X said:
I think an open contest is a good idea. Anarchy, the Spanish distributor, wants to organize a new theme contest (the previous one was dedicated to tower defense game) for only the Wiz.

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=70616

This open competition could start at the first or (better) mid-February, and it would attract more people.

Iorgy77 i don't want to let your idea/contest down but what Mr.2X says is true. Gp32Spain contest will start soon (Anarchy is waiting the other 2 contest to finish) and promises prizes of +300 Eur for a first prize. This will atract a lot of coders.
Anyway it will be a theme contest again.

Byes!
PD: Forgive my bad english... i'm spanish. If your contest go forwad i can post the new in GP32Spain without problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I wont be around from mid February until March as I am going overseas for two weeks. But perhaps a end of March deadline for this open competition if we can get more community donations towards the prize pool.

Because lets face it, the pandora wont be delivered by the end of March at this rate.

Iorgy77, i think this is a great idea. I also like the openness! Although i am worried the judging will be biased toward emulators, as most people around here go crazy for them. I hope noone releases an emulator for this compo ;) I think it is a good incentive to make people finish off anything they have lying around (like me). I'll even chip in for the prices.

/Uni

This is a competition I am considering taking part in. As someone said, first it's open for everything I please (I might only do scene demo or port, no time for anything else right now), then I don't have to use a specific language (I don't care about glbasic). I am working on little something for the Wiz and I will consider finishing it in time for this compo even if I am not sure I will.

Thanks for the competition, is a good idea. I posted your message in the Spanish forum.

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?p=1025987

Back