Gp32 Gpengine V0.5

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
I had previously heard of GPEngine v0.5 which is supposed to have RF multiplayer support for games.
From what I remember, it was never an official release but used for some GP32 get-together in the UK.

Now seeing its been years since the last release I was wondering:
  1. Did anyone ever play with this multiplayer RF-enabled version?
  2. Does anyone actually have GPEngine v0.5? :)
  3. Source code for GPEngine isn't available. Would the original authors consider releasing it?
I'd love to see it in action. I've got 2x GP32s and 2x RF units (i've not actually used them yet - apart from GPEngine, I'm not aware of anything really interesting supporting them. Perhaps some commercial games).

EDIT: Question 3 answer by Blah (see below).

EDIT2: The source code is found under a keystone in a small church in England! Could this be the Holy Grail?

The source code to GPEngine was lost when the developer's hard drive died. The project was also abandoned because of this. :(

Blah said:
The source code to GPEngine was lost when the developer's hard drive died. The project was also abandoned because of this. :(
GPEngine was the reason why I bought 2 GP32 and 2 RF units. Unfortunately never really got to use the RF except for jumpnbump
I guess thats another reason for developers to upload the source code onto gp32x archive

Last edited by a moderator:
Linus Torvalds said:
Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)

Blah said:
Isn't that just a gp32 myth?

Brought to you by black- ( Thomas Geisler ). rosifer66[at]gmx.de
Graphics and gui by giffel ( M. Geisler ).
This site is hosted thanks to hando on GP32Extreme.
The hard job of testing was done by Mr. Spiv and ThunderZ :)
Greetings go to all on #gp32dev
contact black- on #gp32dev or #utopiasoft on EFNet

craigix said:
Blah said:

Well if it isn't where is the source code, and the authors?

It would be nice to have this to port to the GP2X too as the current GP2X PC-Engine emus are kind of rubbish.

DaveC said:
craigix said:
Blah said:

It would be nice to have this to port to the GP2X too as the current GP2X PC-Engine emus are kind of rubbish.

thats a bit harsh

what exactly is rubbish?

DaveC said:
craigix said:
Blah said:

On ICQ sometimes. They were never able to sort out the SMC writing bugs and just got bored of the project i think. It happens.

DaveC said:
craigix said:
Blah said:

You write a better one, then you talk, okay?

This is the first time I heard those rumours. Too bad for you guys because:

a) I think I have a GPengine 0.5 MP binary lying in my old laptop. Wanna you guys me to recover it up?
b) I think black- sent me GPEngine sources long time ago too (maybe version 0.4?). Didn't he remember that at the time of dropping the emulator? Anyways, should I back it up too?
c) I fixed SMC writing bugs long time ago while doing my emulators. I knew (and know) how to fix that.

So, this night is becoming not so dark at all :)
Someone should contact black-- or giffel and let'em know.

the lord darkness! :ph34r:

what a story that would make if it still exists,someone should make a film about it! almost like raiders of the lost ark. speilberg and harrison ought to be up for it ;)

rlyeh said:

a) I think I have a GPengine 0.5 MP binary lying in my old laptop. Wanna you guys me to recover it up?
B) I think black- sent me GPEngine sources long time ago too (maybe version 0.4?). Didn't he remember that at the time of dropping the emulator? Anyways, should I back it up too?
c) I fixed SMC writing bugs long time ago while doing my emulators. I knew (and know) how to fix that.

Wow!

You have sources? And the 0.5 binary?

Rlyeh, if you want to "back up" the 0.5 binary and 0.4 source, I have a few megabytes spare HD space on my SMC and MacBook... :)

Anyone see black-- or giffel on IRC lately? I don't hang out there at all so I wouldn't know.
Time to install an IRC client eh?

moz said:
thats a bit harsh

what exactly is rubbish?
Well in one all sampled sounds are missing, it is not stereo, it buzzes and pops. The other the music timing is all off and sounds weird, sounds are missing. The most accurate one is choppy with alot of frameskip at even 240 MHz. CD support doesn't fully work in any of them.

The GP32 one is pretty good all around. It doesn't have saves or CD support but the core HU-card emulation is pretty close to perfect.

room for improvement then, fingers crossed for the code. i dont really remember the sound being that "bad" though.

rlyeh said:

B) I think black- sent me GPEngine sources long time ago too (maybe version 0.4?). Didn't he remember that at the time of dropping the emulator? Anyways, should I back it up too?

Totally unrelated, but has anyone told you that you look like the leader singer of Depeche Mode?

Sweet Jesus it's been too long, time to dust off the GP32 and fire up Gpengine me thinks!

rlyeh said:
I will build you a shrine in my living room. I promise. :rolleyes:

Back