GP32 Gp32 Revival Coding Compo

Website
diab0l.pdroms.de
so, people, i've been planning a gp32 revival compo for some time now
been talking with people via IRC n stuff, but there's still some stuff lacking
what we've got so far:

compo starts 1st January (probably xD)
compo ends 2 weeks after 20 people have joined the compo
no submission limits (submit games, emus, what the fuck ever, as many submissions as you can pull off)
if your submission doesn't run on teh emu (firefly's), it will get extra points
prizes so far are 1st GP32 BLU+, 3rd C64g and chocolate for anyone who enters

judges so far are donskeeto, mr_spiv and me

If you have any suggestions for prizes or want to enter as judge or hell, if you want to donate prizes, then glory fucking hell, do post here or contact me via PM

other ways to contact me (which are more likely to succeedd):
EFNet: diabol in #gp32dev, #gp2xdev or #bfdev
EMail: d iaborusan [at] g mail [dot] c om
ICQ UIN: 493-386-840

so long, peace and gp32_console

Umm, wtf .. if it doesn't run on the emu, then bonus points?

So I can add:

if ( on_emu )
*NULL = 1; // crash

It seems really retarded to make something lose points because it works in the proper dev environment.

*pass*

(FWIW, Battlejewels runs on the GP32, but I've no time to pollish it off, and doubly so when you've got weird requirements in your compo :)

jeff

Are there any kinds of restrictions, like programming language used, amount of files, size of file(s)?

Also, are ports of GP2X software accepted, or would you consider that an insult? :lol:

skeezix said:
Umm, wtf .. if it doesn't run on the emu, then bonus points?

So I can add:

if ( on_emu )
*NULL = 1; // crash

It seems really retarded to make something lose points because it works in the proper dev environment.

*pass*

(FWIW, Battlejewels runs on the GP32, but I've no time to pollish it off, and doubly so when you've got weird requirements in your compo :)

jeff
dude, first off the thing about not-running-on-teh-emu is just a pun and no, you can't detect it that easily :p
and no, it won't lose points if it does run on the emu just like everything else, would just be nice to see some neat low-level hacking

Alex. said:
Are there any kinds of restrictions, like programming language used, amount of files, size of file(s)?

Also, are ports of GP2X software accepted, or would you consider that an insult? :lol:
as this is a (or the) revival compo there are, as stated, no restrictions - plus, i highly doubt you're gonna use anything beside ASM, C and C++, submit 200 files which are 2gb each :p
and yes, you may port from gp2x and anything you like, just state the sources if you do port something, as usual ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC (been a long time I admit :) theres a way to detect you're on FF's emu. He documented some way, or you could detect a BIOS problem or something or other.

But yeah, not too hard to bring it down if you go crazy anywy, but in genrral I think FF's emu was pretty darned amazing .. devving with an emu is much more effiicient :)

Sometimes I miss the GP32 .. if its screen wasn't rotated in the memory map I'd like it a lot more (that along cost countless cycles), but loved that little joystick and of course you can't ever count out the GP32-boobies :p

(sleep dep talking)

jeff

Good luck with the compo :)

rawwwr, give suggestions and c-r-e-a-t-i-v-e i-n-p-u-t, don't just read

skeezix said:
IIRC (been a long time I admit :) theres a way to detect you're on FF's emu. He documented some way, or you could detect a BIOS problem or something or other.

But yeah, not too hard to bring it down if you go crazy anywy, but in genrral I think FF's emu was pretty darned amazing .. devving with an emu is much more effiicient :)

Sometimes I miss the GP32 .. if its screen wasn't rotated in the memory map I'd like it a lot more (that along cost countless cycles), but loved that little joystick and of course you can't ever count out the GP32-boobies :p

(sleep dep talking)

jeff

Good luck with the compo :)
agreed, ff's emu was fun stuff, as was his wince port and yea, we all know the gp32 only got famous with geeks for having boobs you can touch anytime :p

slaanesh said:
I was thinking of porting Opentyrian to GP32... maybe I should give it a crack now?
of course, do it whatever it is o_o
port, port, port!

the_Diabologic said:
so, people, i've been planning a gp32 revival compo for some time now
Great!!

Sometime ago i managed to compile the beat2x sources for the gp32, but it went like crap... And nowadays is very difficult to setup a toolchain fully working (dkarm, RTEMS??)

Id love to participate if i could solve this problems.

Regards

Iirc, if you read the unique ID for the GP32 and it's on the emu, it'll always return the same number - either a long string of 0s or a long string of Fs. Or that is PacRom I'm thinking of, and it was always whatever ID the ripped bios had.

Either way, a little experimenting would probably produce the path to emu-aware programs...

Tobriand said:
Iirc, if you read the unique ID for the GP32 and it's on the emu, it'll always return the same number - either a long string of 0s or a long string of Fs. Or that is PacRom I'm thinking of, and it was always whatever ID the ripped bios had.

Either way, a little experimenting would probably produce the path to emu-aware programs...
I don't think the idea is to find new and fun ways to crash the emulator, it's to get the developers to really get down and dirty and push the gp32 to the limit, exploiting the hardware in a way that the emu doesn't handle. Not simply cheating and trying to figure out a way to crash the emulator. Shit, a 2k program could do that once you figure out how.

Chris

That would be great, I'd love to get some new games for my GP32. What kind of prizes are you looking to have donated? Wouldn't it be nice if the end users were the judges? There could be an email vote in (although there could be corruption). Perhaps only people who were members of gp32x the first day of the compo would be able to vote and would have to vote through the message system of the board

christo930 said:
Tobriand said:

I don't think the idea is to find new and fun ways to crash the emulator, it's to get the developers to really get down and dirty and push the gp32 to the limit, exploiting the hardware in a way that the emu doesn't handle. Not simply cheating and trying to figure out a way to crash the emulator. Shit, a 2k program could do that once you figure out how.

Chris

exctly that ^^

christo930 said:
That would be great, I'd love to get some new games for my GP32. What kind of prizes are you looking to have donated? Wouldn't it be nice if the end users were the judges? There could be an email vote in (although there could be corruption). Perhaps only people who were members of gp32x the first day of the compo would be able to vote and would have to vote through the message system of the board
erm, i don't fucking know what people would consider a worthy prize o_o most of you probably want old-school gaming hardware - wonderswan crystal, ngpc - that kind of stuff, so I'd really appreciate if you could donate some of that :)
what's more, an uber-prize would be ASR (not cracked, but original, bound to smc at best) because it's one of the rarest things for gp32 i know (aqnd it's apparently a cool game)
nevermind, the judges won't be gp32x users in a poll - the judges will be as many of the great old ones as i can get (that's the idea), so far that's donskeeto, mr_spiv and Squidge (the fun thing is, they can all give a comment for each entry and their opinions are biased as fuck)

Yippie! Though I'm not a coder just a little consumer I'm really looking forward for this competition. Maybe f-Day is going to happen (not that I'm really expecting it, just to put it back in the ring again...)

Hard to do anything for the GP32 coding comp if the tools aren't up to date. :-(

Need updated SDL4GP32 that's EABI version 4 compatible. Whilst i'm on it the MirkoSDK needs to be updated too.

Otherwise we're just left with the gamepark SDK.

slaanesh said:
Hard to do anything for the GP32 coding comp if the tools aren't up to date. :-(
Need updated SDL4GP32 that's EABI version 4 compatible. Whilst i'm on it the MirkoSDK needs to be updated too.
Otherwise we're just left with the gamepark SDK.
WHY??? :blink: My toolchain will work forever and it is an old version. :blink:

It could be easier to setup an old version enviroment, try it. I tried to setup the new toolchain and i have to agree with you, it was a terrible headache and i failed to set it up :(

But i will alway have my old toolchaing ... ;)

Note. In the other side, gamepark SDK is all you need to create gp32 games ;)

Aiken

Dear diab0l,

since you prefer to make out with your new girlfriend instead of checking out IRC, I'll use the forum here...

Last night, there has been a short incident on #gp32dev, where someone obviously thought I'd be the compo dude:

CODE
00:23:57 <r043v> hello :)
00:24:15 <r043v> i just see on gp32x that you made a revival compo :D
00:24:57 <r043v> is it started ? how many people have enter ?
00:25:12 <r043v> can i release a dev lib as an entry ?
00:25:22 <r043v> héhé some question :)

So, how about you get off your GF for a minute and answer that? ;)

don said:
Dear diab0l,

since you prefer to make out with your new girlfriend instead of checking out IRC, I'll use the forum here...

Last night, there has been a short incident on #gp32dev, where someone obviously thought I'd be the compo dude:

CODE
00:23:57 <r043v> hello :)
00:24:15 <r043v> i just see on gp32x that you made a revival compo :D
00:24:57 <r043v> is it started ? how many people have enter ?
00:25:12 <r043v> can i release a dev lib as an entry ?
00:25:22 <r043v> héhé some question :)
So, how about you get off your GF for a minute and answer that? ;)

sry guys, havging a gf is tough shit
anyways, compo will start Monday, the 7th of January 2008 and will end 2 weeks after 20 entries have been submitted
and yes, you can release a dev lib as an entry and you should include sufficient documentation, a tech demo would also be nice

before i forget this, including the source code gets a bonus point (the style of the source is unimportant)

Wow! I love the GP32 and I would like to see new software realesed for it. ATM I have one month left to finish with the greek army and be back in action from the beginning of February (although I also plan to do something for the glbasic compo and help in a cpc project when I finish, and also see what will happen with my real life plans)

I am thinking about either a demo or a game. I would prefer coding the second. I have rewritten and optimized parts of my 3d engine since the last time of my absence even though this is still buggy, also I have some nice code for a recent PC code featuring 2d essentials for a nice game (sprite zoom/rotation, particle physics, ball and string physics) so I am either doing a 3d/2d demo or preferably 2d game. But I am not promising anything : P

Yey!

I don't know about the latest version of Firefly's gp32 emu, but I remember that he didn't bother to increment the LCD_LINECNT register in the last version I used, so if you even thought about waiting for the vblank, your code hung indefinitely on the emu.

Back