Gp32 Win Ce

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
I did a google search for this before posting and couldn't find a whole lot as far as definate news...

Anyone know if a gp32 win CE was finished or not?

I know the same guy who made geepee32 was porting it but his site doesn't list any recent news on it... I think it'd be interesting...

I don't think it was, and I think the author is currently spending time cracking the wireless functionality on the Nintendo DS. I don't think he has left the scene for definite though.

worldwriter posted on Dec 2 2004 at 03:45 PM said:
Hooka: Did you ever have WinCE actually running on the gp32 hardware?

Firefly: No.

but he shows screenshots on his site of win CE running on a gp32....
The screen might have been made after the interview...

Last edited by a moderator:
since WinCE is microsoft, obviously no source code has been released so other than a Windups type remake, i doubt anything would ever come of this, your best bet for a computer or pda style firmware is GPLinux.

pAiN posted on Dec 2 2004 at 10:20 PM said:
since WinCE is microsoft, obviously no source code has been released so other than a Windups type remake, i doubt anything would ever come of this, your best bet for a computer or pda style firmware is GPLinux.
But how would he be possible to make a gp32 version then?
There are pictures on his site with a gp32 running winCE, and he says that it is real? :huh: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it "worked" but it is far from beeing finishd, and he cant release it couse it wouldnt be legal.

I think he said it wasn't useful anyway, since it consumed nearly all available RAM, leaving only a very small amount for apps..

jeff

It works very well but yes it's limited and for legal reasons, it won't be released.

So please don't ask for download.

um... windows CE is source available... Microsoft released it especially for this sort of thing... to be developed for handhelds they hadn't yet infected with windows...

read up on it... its not illegal. They even released a dev kit to customize it for "other" handhelds.

The goal of this project is to have a basic Windows CE 5.0 Operating System running on the GP32. The software used to create customized Windows CE images is called "Platform Builder". You can download or order an evaluation version of Platform Builder from Microsoft in case you want to experiment with it.

EDIT I don't think its a matter of getting free windows CE... you still have to buy the os and no.. it's not open source but this platform builder works as an interpreter to allow win CE to understand your hardware

noone sayd that the platform builder is illegal or the source isnt availible, but your not allowd to distribute binairys createt with the platfrom builder trial, and the full version costs a lot of $$$$

Simply put, Microsoft made a WinCE Platform Builder which allows developers do make versions for there hardware. Firefly actually got it running on a GP32 BUT he ran into problems getting the SMC driver and audio driver working at the same time so decided to put it aside once again (from what I last heard) It is neat to see it running on actual hardware but it won't get a public release because with sound the image of a "virtual disk" type deal is a little too big to allow any big apps to run and with the SMC driver you can't have sound.

There was a nice working version released for developers only. It ran quite fast actually, but after firefly encountered several problems pertaining to conflicts between the sound driver and the SMC driver, I think he dropped the project. (I don't think it was ever going to be released outside of the devver community anyway though)

Back