GP32x Subscription Thingy

Would you donate to a "pool" of money to be donated to developers and fund dev-related stu

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
2,806
Location
Stoke-On-Trent UK
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
Yea, couldn't you just change the titles we already have?

Like say I donated enough to get a silver title, just change my title to the silver donating guru:) Or something less queer, w/e you want.
 

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
3,805
Location
California, USA
Mark posted on Aug 19 2004 at 01:30 AM said:
Yea, couldn't you just change the titles we already have?

Like say I donated enough to get a silver title, just change my title to the silver donating guru:) Or something less queer, w/e you want.
How is silver donating guru "queer?"

So, there would be bronze, silver, and gold pics for Gurus, then different ones for XTREME TEAM MEMBERS, and then different ones for normal users? Nine different pics?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
2,806
Location
Stoke-On-Trent UK
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
Azure posted on Aug 19 2004 at 09:51 AM said:
Mark posted on Aug 19 2004 at 01:30 AM said:
Yea, couldn't you just change the titles we already have?

Like say I donated enough to get a silver title, just change my title to the silver donating guru:) Or something less queer, w/e you want.
How is silver donating guru "queer?"

So, there would be bronze, silver, and gold pics for Gurus, then different ones for XTREME TEAM MEMBERS, and then different ones for normal users? Nine different pics?
Yup. But come on, 'Silver donating Guru' sounds so bad it hurts. You could of course just put the guru badge on a silver/gold/bronze background and at the bottom write "Silver Donation Award"
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rico

Certified Guru
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
5,649
Age
36
Location
England, UK
Website
Visit site
An added database field per user of 'donation status' would be easier, then you could just have a medal next to their name or something.
 

mattmagoo

OFFICIAL
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
3,067
Age
35
Location
Sussex, England
Website
Visit site
how are the medals gonna work

surely they'd have to be linked to the donation page so that when u've dontaed X amount ure medal gets upgraded

otherwise sum poor sods gonna have to be watching who's given what
 

Rico

Certified Guru
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
5,649
Age
36
Location
England, UK
Website
Visit site
I don't think there's likely to be so many donations that the guy in charge can't cope. Could be anywhere between 0-10 a day, really. Obviously more when it first launches. Hando (or whoever) could just put multiple people in charge of upgrading donation info if it gets crazy.
 
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
1,626
Age
37
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
Rico posted on Aug 19 2004 at 11:39 AM said:
I don't think there's likely to be so many donations that the guy in charge can't cope. Could be anywhere between 0-10 a day, really. Obviously more when it first launches. Hando (or whoever) could just put multiple people in charge of upgrading donation info if it gets crazy.
yeah, I dont see any particular problems with upgrading "donation staus".

Fair enough, it may be quite a lot of work, but I'm sure Hando could hire somebody resposible enough to just assign the medals.

I can foresee some problems with people not trusting the system if a mod was in charge witht the whole paypal account, but some people dont trust anybody. I'm sure that once the scheme got up and running and decisions were being made about donations etc, people would grow to trust the scheme.

Just waiting for Hando....
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Horscht

Banned?
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,612
Age
36
Location
Germany
Website
Visit site
well, i wouldn´t really care for a medal. I mean whats the point? Showing other members, that you are superioir because you donated, and they didn´t? No I think it would be better to have a donation site, where everyone who donated gets listed.
 
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
1,626
Age
37
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
Horscht posted on Aug 19 2004 at 03:32 PM said:
well, i wouldn´t really care for a medal. I mean whats the point? Showing other members, that you are superioir because you donated, and they didn´t? No I think it would be better to have a donation site, where everyone who donated gets listed.
Well whats the point having a donation list then?

People do care, and I think it would definitely encourage donations and also give the donation scheme more coverage (it being seen in lots of different GP32 threads etc).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rico

Certified Guru
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
5,649
Age
36
Location
England, UK
Website
Visit site
Horscht posted on Aug 19 2004 at 04:32 PM said:
well, i wouldn´t really care for a medal. I mean whats the point? Showing other members, that you are superioir because you donated, and they didn´t? No I think it would be better to have a donation site, where everyone who donated gets listed.
I actually agree that it's not really something I would advertise, I just feel good about donating in the first place. But others don't have that viewpoint. Some members here put their donations in their sigs. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just demonstrating that badges have their use.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

finty

what is this
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
4,985
Age
32
Location
Ireland
Website
Visit site
No - Because I will donate to developers as I see fit, and will not try to bribe them into making emulators/ apps/ games.
 

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
3,805
Location
California, USA
Just thought I might add, I will only be able to donate when I buy multiple things from the internet because my father wouldn't let me donate money, let alone to developers of a handheld that I paid almost $300 for. So, I would have to buy a few things, then secretly use paypal to donate, then give my dad the money for the thing I buyed and the donation, and then when the bill comes, there will be like 3-4 different places (One of them being paypal for the donation) and he will probably just ask what a few of them are and I can lie about them a bit (Like if I buy 2 products from Play-Asia, I can say that the PA bill is for one of the items, and the paypal one is for the other, but I have to make sure that the PA bill isn't too high).

Anyways, it's a bit complicated but the earliest I will be able to make a donation will be this coming Winter holiday season, in which I will buy a digicam from newegg, rechargeable batteries/battery charger from Thomas-Distributing, IIDX 8th Style from PA, and maybe headphones from audiocubes.
 

Bingo Jesus

GP2X Hardcore
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
384
Age
34
Location
Cumbria, UK
Would you be able to accept postal orders, I'm up for donating £10, but don't have access to either a paypal account or a cheque book. Also, I think if nothing happens NOW people will forget and lose interest. Please could somebody email Hando and the mods to try and implement a system for donation.
 

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
3,805
Location
California, USA
I'm guessing the address of the paypal account will have the word donation in it, right? Is it possible to send money to a paypal account without having the exact address of the account shown on your bill?
 

finty

what is this
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
4,985
Age
32
Location
Ireland
Website
Visit site
Azure posted on Sep 1 2004 at 07:20 AM said:
I'm guessing the address of the paypal account will have the word donation in it, right? Is it possible to send money to a paypal account without having the exact address of the account shown on your bill?
Individual Dev's have their own personal addresses, most without the word donation. Say you bought something off ebay.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top