GPD-WIN frequent blue screens

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
Since I've had this device, I've always had a variety of bluescreen issues. Funny thing my brother also has a GPD-Win except no bluescreens or issues whatsoever on his.

One difference is he has the 8700 model while I have the 8750 model, despite coming from the same eBay seller.
I tend to get them every few hours or so. Also his had Windows already setup with a user account etc while I had to set mine up (in portrait for some reason)

8Suiiwb.png

ZBGm4Sv.png

Here's the atom CPU I was mentioning about.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has had these issues, thankfully I shouldn't run into this when the Pyra comes out ;)

Do you close the lid often or go into standby? That was causing my GPD Win to have blue screens sometimes. Also do you use active cooling setting on the Fan?

Do you close the lid often or go into standby? That was causing my GPD Win to have blue screens sometimes. Also do you use active cooling setting on the Fan?
Well I find if the device is in sleep mode too long, it actually shuts down so I changed everything to hibernate instead.
But yeah I do go hibernate pretty often. It's pretty unlikely that I use the device more than 3 hours before I shut the lid. That sucks if that's the problem...
Also yeah I have the fan always on the highest settings.

I had issues with closing the lid, too often. Got blue screens from time to time but I could never make out the root cause for the crashes :/

I see from the screenshots that you use Classic Shell... I "repaired" many bluescreened PCs just uninstalling it
Hmm that would make sense, I've had classic shell installed on there since I got it.
Weird that it doesn't cause any issues on my Windows 7 machine
[doublepost=1497433440,1497408983][/doublepost]Oddly enough I haven't had a blue screen in a few days, when Windows Update snuck itself back on despite being disabled.
Wondering whether or not it fixed it or if my device is just being being sneaky for now.
Classic shell is still installed.

Did anyone ever get this thing running Linux with full hardware support? I.e. not just hello world but full-on with everything working?
No as far as I know, also I'd actually rather use Windows 7 since it works better with old games (since this thing isn't that powerful). But the only OS with full driver support on this thing appears to be Windows 10 which is a shame, as that's one of my most hated OS's

Did anyone ever get this thing running Linux with full hardware support? I.e. not just hello world but full-on with everything working?
I havent bought a device sold with windows in ages, so I cannot tell...

Also: that was more a joke than anything

Another bluescreen while I was enjoying myself playing OpenRA :mad:
So I've uninstalled classic shell now, I'll see how I go from now on.

@Kippykip:
I also get quite some crashes, though I believe mine are mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I get others from your list as well. I tend to have several of those in a row (within minutes), then the unit manages to boot in a stable state and is usable for several days with sleep and everything.

It would help if you described what you have tried: there's a ton of advice on reddit, though not all tricks work equally well for everyone. Some of those are:
- Disabling DPTF in BIOS (though it made things worse in my case)
- Installing different GPU drivers (I use 20.19.15.4539, though like I said, I still have crashes, and they seem GPU-related)
- Disabling the Kionix accelerometer in device manager
- Disabling fast boot in power settings
- If your unit crashes under heavy load, it may be worth doing the thermal mod (replacing ~1mm of thermal paste by a copper/aluminum slab)
- There's also a mod described here, but I haven't tried it and I'd love if someone with more experience (ED?) explained what this mod is supposed to fix.

If your issues are related to sleep, you can simply disable it by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled to 0. You'll lose the ability to put your GPD Win to sleep though, so it will be a switch off / hibernate every time.

Last edited:
I had done the thermal mod with the 0,5mm copper plate and proper thermal paste, but still had blue screens. My guess is actually rather that there are some unstable driver components - same goes for my r/w issues on my SD card, which were infrequent but annoying enough to sell the device.

Waiting for the Pyra now :)

Hi dimag0g, the resistor fix is supposed to fix graphic drivers crash on heavy load. It seems either GPD were too aggressive when they selected the original values or the messed up when creating their design, but on some earlier model, depending on unknown reasons (good bin chips?) you would get random driver crash on heavy load.
I wasn't aware of temperature causing crash, at least before you got your hand burned, I doubt the thermal fix can change something to the kind of crash you are having.

@Kippykip:
I also get quite some crashes, though I believe mine are mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I get others from your list as well. I tend to have several of those in a row (within minutes), then the unit manages to boot in a stable state and is usable for several days with sleep and everything.

It would help if you described what you have tried: there's a ton of advice on reddit, though not all tricks work equally well for everyone. Some of those are:
- Disabling DPTF in BIOS (though it made things worse in my case)
- Installing different GPU drivers (I use 20.19.15.4539, though like I said, I still have crashes, and they seem GPU-related)
- Disabling the Kionix accelerometer in device manager
- Disabling fast boot in power settings
- If your unit crashes under heavy load, it may be worth doing the thermal mod (replacing ~1mm of thermal paste by a copper/aluminum slab)
- There's also a mod described here, but I haven't tried it and I'd love if someone with more experience (ED?) explained what this mod is supposed to fix.

If your issues are related to sleep, you can simply disable it by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled to 0. You'll lose the ability to put your GPD Win to sleep though, so it will be a switch off / hibernate every time.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, so far mine hasn't crashed since I've removed classic shell but I have strong doubts that is the cause.
If it does bluescreen in the future I'll try some your potential fixes :happy:. But my bluescreens as you can see from the picture seem random for whatever reason.
I had done the thermal mod with the 0,5mm copper plate and proper thermal paste, but still had blue screens. My guess is actually rather that there are some unstable driver components - same goes for my r/w issues on my SD card, which were infrequent but annoying enough to sell the device.

Waiting for the Pyra now :)
My SD card speeds were waaaaaay to slow and unreliable (some people on reddit say the same thing also), especially when writing.
I stick everything on a mini 128gb USB
Also yeah waiting for the pyra... someday it'll come :(
Hi dimag0g, the resistor fix is supposed to fix graphic drivers crash on heavy load. It seems either GPD were too aggressive when they selected the original values or the messed up when creating their design, but on some earlier model, depending on unknown reasons (good bin chips?) you would get random driver crash on heavy load.
I wasn't aware of temperature causing crash, at least before you got your hand burned, I doubt the thermal fix can change something to the kind of crash you are having.
Wasn't the resistor fix only meant for early units? Also mine has crashed just sitting on the desktop at times.

Yep, the question is to define what is a early unit and where you got yours... Ed might have information as he seems to have fixed some of these and he is a reseller...

Yep, the question is to define what is a early unit and where you got yours... Ed might have information as he seems to have fixed some of these and he is a reseller...
Well mine is the 8750 model which is apparently newer than the 8700 (although is apparently slower somehow), some easy differences you can tell is that the GPD logo in the middle (from mine at least) is just indented and there's no metal logo. Other difference is there's some ugly glossy plastic on the top cover that collects fingerprints. also imo the buttons feel worse on this one.
I just can't find any revision/model lists anywhere on the internet so this is very big guesswork list of my own:
Code:
4 variants afaik
8700 original no fan - crash prone as a VERY tiny resistor wasn't added in the production, also prone to overheating (? need to confirm)

8700 with fan - seems pretty stable from what I've used (brothers unit).

8750 - lags more than the 8700, buttons are less clicky but the keyboard is nicer to type on fast and there's a annoying fingerprinty outside casing now.
The GPD logo in the inside is engraved but no metal logo, not too stable from personal experience.

8750 - unknown, saw it in many videos. only difference i could tell from above is the gpd-win logo was metal in the inside while still being a 8750 model. I've never seen a 8750 model without the metal GPD logo (engraved plastic) aside from my own unit

Back