GPD XD

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
GPD are planning to launch a clamshell handheld Android game console around mid year. Specs include:

- SOC RK3288 quad core ARM Cortex A17 with Mali 764
- 2 GB RAM
- 16 GB internal flash + microSd slot
- 6000 mah battery - They are saying it will have over 10 hours battery life
- 1280x720 5"  IPS screen

http://obscurehandhelds.com/?p=2829#more-2829

Early Renders:

21.jpg
b1.png

71.jpg
41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know, but GPD handhelds are usually pretty cheap. GPD have a 7" Android tablet game console with pretty much the same internal specs out now that is going for $130 with free shipping. ie the GPD Q9

I recently bought a GPD G5A and it is a real mess. It would be great if the screen was decent and the analog stick and D-pad didn't suffer from sporadic crosstalk. I don't think I'd trust GPD ever again.

meh. this SoC bear no interest
It's one of the first a17 to hit the market... that in it's self is of interest I think.

Unless the disinterest is because of the Chinese manufacturer.

That aside, this looks pretty good and fairly powerful for someone looking for a budget clamshell pocket gaming console with similar battery life as the pyra (cortex a15 vs a17 and 6000mah battery). Not the exact same market as the pyra/pandora sure, but there will undoubtedly be some overlap in the target audience and the customer base.

Its fascinating that all they have to show are early renders, yet they say it comes out mid year.

There is not really much development in there i suppose, just an tablet glued to buttons.

Anyway i doubt they will sell this thing, gamers will get an NDS, ppl who need android get tablets and us technic freaks have only eyes for the pyra.

Anyway i doubt they will sell this thing, gamers will get an NDS, ppl who need android get tablets and us technic freaks have only eyes for the pyra.
GPD have quite a few of these obscure gaming devices on the market already. I've personally talked to them in the past, and have colleagues that work with them in software/firmware development and are quite receptive to the community they target. In fact there is probably MORE people in that community than this one.

This one just seems to be on the upper end of technical knowledge both developers and general user base. Believe me when I say that it's a very similar market they are targeting.

The niche market is there, and the company is real and comparatively reputable, this will very likely be out by the end of the year if they are saying june/july. This isn't their first rodeo, this is more like their 6th-7th device, and some of those were announced and previewed in a very similar manner.

http://www.gpd.hk/

They show the renders because they want the feedback from the community that follows and supports their products.  For example, there is talk now that they will add a keyboard - if "Full function key" means keyboard?. Time will tell though. For the moment it is what it is, a pocketable Android console.  As for the RK3288, it is a very capable SOC. Probably a shade above a Tegra 4.

what makes you think it's above a tegra 4? The a17 is susposed to be the "budget" a15. It does appear to have by spec big.LITTLE where the tegra 4 does not (custom low power a15 core with 4 regular a15 cores) But everything else I read has smaller numbers of bandwidth, pipes, etc.

Also I don't think the mali t7 gpu, beats the nvidia gpu, I see comparable benchmarking scores in other devices running a 7 series mali chip, but nothing on a a17 vs a tegra 4 specifically. I would be pretty surprised if it out performs it anyway.

I still bet they are probably at least within the same realm of each other performance wise either way, just don't know if I would go as far as to say "beats a tegra 4" which is still very good considering the budget nature of these chips.

The shield can get 9-10 hours on it's 7300mah battery doing low intensive stuff like retro emulators etc so I'd almost buy that battery life quote, depending on how much more efficient big.little is to what nvidia is doing in the tegra.

Have a look at the benchmarks for both. The Rk3288 always seems to benchmark higher in Antutu (yes I know, antutu) 36000-38500 vs 38000-42000. They are very close, as I said , maybe a shade above the T4 (ie a tiny amount).  But roughly they are about the same.  You normally don't see the Rk3288 compared to the T4 which makes it difficult to judge, if you google it, it is always compared to the Tekra K1 (which beats the rk3288 handsomely)

As a side note, there was this huge debate over what actually is in the RK3288, initially it was meant to have Cortex A12 cores, then at launch it was noted as A17. Then it got even more confusing when ARM and Rockchip went silent on the whole A12 A17 thing.  I think there is no A12 in the end (could be wrong) and they call it  the A17. It resulted in a lot of remaining confusion on just what it is internally.

No clue about these a17 CPU, how does it compete with the upcoming Pyra CPU? 17 is more than 15 so it's faster than the Cortex-A15?

It has no keyboard, true. BUT at least it has side-by-side shoulder buttons, this gives already one bonus point. :D

No clue about these a17 CPU, how does it compete with the upcoming Pyra CPU? 17 is more than 15 so it's faster than the Cortex-A15?
the a17 is comparable performance wise to the a15, just a bit more power efficient.

Back