GPengine sound samples question

Kao_Pai

Still Fresh
I'm loving GPengine, in my opinion it's the most nicely put together emu out there.

Many people have written that they consider the emulation to be flawless, and I wonder if I'm missing out on something. I haven't noticed anyone comment about an apparent lack of sound sample support, which makes me wonder if it might just be me?

There is a definite lack of drum samples, speech, etc on the games I've played and I wonder if I'm missing a setting or haven't done something right? Or are samples just not implemented yet and I missed people talking about it?

Anyway, cheers to all the devs out there that are working on software for me to enjoy on the gp32.

Nah, you're correct - it's missing the PCM channel, or at least it distorts. Some games sound horrible and I think that's the cause of it also - Fantasy Zone, for example. Also, runnning games with 3D rotating/scaling/stretching effects slows it down a bit - Bomberman, Outrun and Space Harrier are the only three I can think of.

Damn, I was hoping to get Zero Wing but I can't find it anywhere. Does GPEngine emulate the turbo CD? As far as I know, that's just a Turbografx console where the games are on CDs, not hucards, but I'm no expert.

But where's the fun in the game without the intro speech!?

About the panning/scaling problems, I got slowdown and flashing trying to play Super Dodgeball, probably because the camera follows the ball to each side of the court. Thing is, the NES version also does the same on the emulator I have on my playstation - is this a common thing in emulation?

That said, GPEngine is an incredible emulator and it's brilliant to play shooters full speed with sound on the GP32 at last! I've hardly put it down since it came out!

Yup, basically...I dunno how good the Turbo CD version is, but it probably doesn't have an intro at all. The Megadrive was the only version that did that I am aware of (it was an arcade game originally). Zero Wing was more or less an evolution of R-Type - I would also suggest checking out Mr Heli, which as best I know is also an evolution of R-Type (except made by Irem). This is on several formats - the C64 version should work, I believe there was a Spectrum version, and in the future more systems might get emulated so I'm pretty sure there was Amiga and Atari ST versions also.

Incidentally I still say I rank Zero Wing pretty low on my 'Stupid Japanese Games by Toaplan' list. Check out Knuckle Bash in MAME sometime! It's very scary and it has almost no dialogue!

It's fairly common for emulators to have bugs in scrolling, but it's usually vertical scrolling...infoNES on GP32 doesn't appear to have this problem; Boulderdash on NES is what I used to test it for this bug. It didn't occur at all. Oddly though, Megaman 3's select screen is glitched like it has a similar problem...but the most common form of this bug is with vertical scrolling. Aside from Boulderdash, the latter 2 Ninja Gaiden games are notorious for inflicting this. In your case, I don't really know.

Oh, and don't forget Parodius! :)

Ah well, and some games actually don't work at the moment... e.g. The Newzealand Story :(
But it's really an amazing emulator :))

Back