Gpfce 0.4

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
(gpfce if a port of FCE Ultra, a NES/Famicom/FDS emulator)

Finally it works the way I like, so here comes the release.
The goal for 0.4 version was to make the port full-featured, that is with all features of FCE Ultra intact (including compatibility), and to do it at sub-200MHz level. Well I don't think I really made it, but it should be pretty close.

So it now has most of FCE Ultra features (FDS, NSF, Unisystem, custom palettes, cheats, you-name-it), plus some GP2X specific ones (software scaler, overclocking, gamma, etc). Also includes a new menu system, so you can delete all that selector stuff (in fact I recommend using new directory for this release).

As always, here is a changelog from 0.3:
  • Lots of work on the asm core. Timing fixed for some instructions. Some missing undocumented instruction handlers added. Lots of tweaking to make it compatible with all that mapper code.
  • Completely new PicoDrive style menu added with most standard FCE Ultra and some additional options. Selector removed, ROM list is now built-in and only limited by available memory.
  • Merged in most of code from 0.98.1x versions. Only ppu/rendering and sound emulation code left from 0.81 (which is less accurate but much faster).
  • Default palette changed to one from later versions.
  • Fixed some alignment problems in MMC5 and some other mappers.
  • Some generic optimizations and code cleanup/refactoring.
  • The built-in NSF player fixed.
  • Authentic GameGenie support fixed.
  • FDS support fixed.
  • VS Unisystem support fixed.
  • Ingame saves fixed (not sure when they got broken).
  • Increased maximum sound volume.
  • Added Zapper emulation just for fun.
  • Added partial FCM movie support.
  • Fixed some memory leaks.
  • Fixed a bug which caused USB connection from GP2X menu to hang after using gpfce.
  • Software scaler added.
  • USB gamepad support added.
  • TV out fixed.
  • Documentation updated.
  • Some other stuff I've forgotten about
download here

UPDATE: a bugfix release (r163):
  • Fixed savestate subsections (were causing some mapper data not to be saved).
  • Fixed an issue of MapIRQHook getting lost after loading a savestate (glitched Akumajou Densetsu and other games after savestate load).
  • A bug, which prevented configuring multiple USB pads fixed.
  • Fixed sound breaking bug after switching it on/off multiple times.
  • Added "Perfect VSYNC" option, which changes GP2X refresh rate and syncs emu timing to LCD vsync.
  • Fixed IPS patch support.
  • Added A r k's fast-direction-change fix for usbjoy lib.
UPDATE2: another small bugfix release (r171):
  • Added optional "Accurate renderer", which is the original FCE Ultra 0.98.x renderer + PPU emulation code. It's much slower, but it can handle games which need more precise PPU timing emulation (like Marble Madness).
  • Fixed saving and loading of game specific configs.
  • Some other minor changes.
download here
source code

As always, donations are accepted through ED. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely amazing, my favorite system from my childhood by far and now i can play it on my tv like the good old days. Thank you very very much.

NOTAZ for President :D

I can´t sleep now, i have to test the emulator just right now.

Thank you very much Notaz, all that features are incredible.

You deserve what you will have soon.

:)

notaz said:
[*]USB gamepad support added.
[*]TV out fixed.
This makes Gpfce perfect, thank you so so so much Notaz, sleep peacefully man, you deserve it :)

@Sam: Stop refreshing the main page every 5 minutes and revise ;) Good luck to you and to all the other guys who are having exams these days :)

[*]Software scaler added.
[*]TV out fixed.

I wish all that features will be add some day to all the emulators :)

sehs33 said:
notaz said:
[*]TV out fixed.
This makes Gpfce perfect, thank you so so so much Notaz, sleep peacefully man, you deserve it :)

@Sam: Stop refreshing the main page every 5 minutes and revise ;) Good luck to you and to all the other guys who are having exams these days :)

im actually done with all my revision now. Just need to sleep for 4 hours.

Actually I see it's got PAL support, so I'm hoping that it supports Elite :)

Will test shortly.

Gradius 2 works perfectly. This was previously far less than perfect in v0.3.
Seems to run at 60FPS @ 150Mhz + Ram Timings with 22050hz sound. Nice!

Thanks a bunch, I too, love the NES!

EDIT:
@notaz: Is the GP2X popular in Lithuania?

OMG! this is what i have been waiting for!!! play NES on my tv through my gp2x!!! thankyou so much! love the game pad support!!!!

really went above and beyond what was expected for this release. though there are other systems id like to see given this treatment im just going to for now refrain from asking such questions and enjoy some good old fashioned nintendo fun on the gp2x. great work!

and elite does work if you force it into pal mode. never really played elite so i have to learn how to play it.

omfg, micromachines is playable! thank you notaz!

cobra triangle too!

but Exit from the menu doesn't work for me, locks up the gp2x, i'm using gmenu2x ... maybe i'm doing something wrong?

I think my jaw broke after hitting the floor so hard.

Seriously, thanks for going all out fixing up Gpfce. Looks like the complaints about NES emulation on the GP2X may soon come to an end. :D

Back