Gpfce V0.1 Won't Run Using A Script

T

TelcoLou

I keep all my start-up scripts in one folder, for ease-of-use, and was trying to run GPfce the same way ... I don't get it ... it dumps me back to the GP2X's main menu (same thing happens with the Minigame Project), I use the following script to try and launch GPfce:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 200 0.6
cd /mnt/sd/FCE/
./gpfce.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Now, I noticed that "gpfce.gpe" is itself, a script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./selector ./gpfce_config > ./gpfce.log
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

... not sure what to do to get this to run using a script ... I kinda need to run the LCD tweaker to adjust the gamma first, as my unit's LCD is a bit too bright. Can any kind soul out there point me in the right direction?

TelcoLou posted on May 23 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
I keep all my start-up scripts in one folder, for ease-of-use, and was trying to run GPfce the same way ... I don't get it ... it dumps me back to the GP2X's main menu (same thing happens with the Minigame Project), I use the following script to try and launch GPfce:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /mnt/sd/FCE/
./gpfce.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Now, I noticed that "gpfce.gpe" is itself, a script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

... not sure what to do to get this to run using a script ... I kinda need to run the LCD tweaker to adjust the gamma first, as my unit's LCD is a bit too bright. Can any kind soul out there point me in the right direction?

Hi TL,

I would just do this>>>

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /mnt/sd/FCE/
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Replace your lines that call his script with his his lines that call the selector.

This should work the way you want.

Igboo

Last edited by a moderator:
As you said, the gpe itself is just a script, so don't run a script to run a script.

Just incorporate the default script into a new one. Here's what I am currently using that works fine;

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -2 235 0.60
cd /mnt/sd/data/emulators/gpfce_v01/
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Thanks guys, still no joy though ...

Here's what I used:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /mnt/sd/FCE/
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

... I have all my start-up scripts in one folder "Apps & Emus". I have the gpfce stuff inside the "FCE" folder. After running the script above, I get a black screen for a few seconds, then get dumped back to the GP2X menu. I must be retarded indeed :blink:

TelcoLou posted on May 23 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
Thanks guys, still no joy though ...

Here's what I used:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /mnt/sd/FCE/
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

... I have all my start-up scripts in one folder "Apps & Emus". I have the gpfce stuff inside the "FCE" folder. After running the script above, I get a black screen for a few seconds, then get dumped back to the GP2X menu. I must be retarded indeed :blink:

Ok, since you get the black screen for a few seconds, I think we're calling the selector properly. The next obvious question is where are your roms?. The config file for the selector specifies '/mnt/sd/roms/nes/'. If you put your roms elsewhere, there not going to be found unless you edit the file 'gpfce_config'.

igboo

igboo posted on May 23 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
Ok, since you get the black screen for a few seconds, I think we're calling the selector properly. The next obvious question is where are your roms?. The config file for the selector specifies '/mnt/sd/roms/nes/'. If you put your roms elsewhere, there not going to be found unless you edit the file 'gpfce_config'.

igboo

I have them in "/mnt/sd/roms/nes/", and the emu works if I select the 'gpfce.gpe' file directly ... 'tis strange :(

TelcoLou posted on May 23 2006 at 09:09 PM said:
I have them in "/mnt/sd/roms/nes/", and the emu works if I select the 'gpfce.gpe' file directly ... 'tis strange :(

Hmm... I'm at a loss for suggestions at the moment. Is the log file gpfce.log being created?

igboo posted on May 23 2006 at 10:50 PM said:

Hmm... I'm at a loss for suggestions at the moment. Is the log file gpfce.log being created?

Interesting ... It created the gpfce.log file for the first few times I used the emu, listing the games I played. I just now deleted it for the purposes of testing ... and tried again to run the script ... the gpfce.log file is not there; it's not being created after the few seconds of black screen.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I truly appreciate it :)

TelcoLou posted on May 23 2006 at 11:00 PM said:
igboo posted on May 23 2006 at 10:50 PM said:

Interesting ... It created the gpfce.log file for the first few times I used the emu, listing the games I played. I just now deleted it for the purposes of testing ... and tried again to run the script ... the gpfce.log file is not there; it's not being created after the few seconds of black screen.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I truly appreciate it :)
Well, the last suggestion I have is since naples39 says above that his script works for him, I would try changing the things in your script that differ most from his. Primarily the very first line... #!/bin/bash > #!/bin/sh and the very last line... ./gp2xmenu > exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu.

Also double check your parameters for the cpu_speed utility to make sure they're the same as your other scripts.

That's about it for me tonight... I'll check back in the morning to see how you did. (I'm same time zone as you I believe... NE PA)

igboo

Here is the script I just made. My emu is located in \emu\nes directory and the cpuspeed is in the root of the SD. If your folders are different, then you have to change the paths and make sure to save it in UNIX format.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/
./cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 233 0.8

cd /mnt/sd/emu/nes
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

-Kensupen

Kensupen, thank you so much!! Your script works perfectly!! I also tried naples39's script as well as the others, but no joy ... I had to change my folders where I put the emu to get it to work (matching your paths exactly), but all is well now ... not sure why it wasn't working with my setup, but I don't care ... JOY!!!!

Also a BIG BIG thanks to everyone who helped me out ... is very much appreciated :D :D :D

I'm not a UNIX nerd myself, so I just keep using the sample script for the cpu_speed from either here or the wiki and just keep modding it for different games/apps.

-Kensupen

TelcoLou posted on May 24 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
Kensupen, thank you so much!! Your script works perfectly!! I also tried naples39's script as well as the others, but no joy ... I had to change my folders where I put the emu to get it to work (matching your paths exactly), but all is well now ... not sure why it wasn't working with my setup, but I don't care ... JOY!!!!

Also a BIG BIG thanks to everyone who helped me out ... is very much appreciated :D :D :D
Does this mean that scripts don't like working with directories with any capital letters in their name - do they all need to be in lowercase??

bacteria posted on May 26 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
Does this mean that scripts don't like working with directories with any capital letters in their name - do they all need to be in lowercase??

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AWESOME!!!! It seems so ... I was trying the same setup for RACE! thusly:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/
./cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 200 0.6

cd /mnt/sd/RACE
./selector ./selectorRACE_config
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

... and it didn't work .. I re-named the folder, using all lower-case ... and it works!!!

Thanks bacteria ... this is very cool! (I feel smarter ;))

Back