Gpsp Issues Revisited

cappuchok

Website
Visit site
Was there ever a new gpsp release to fix the deafening default volume setting and increase the amount by which the volume changes at each volume key press?

Additionally, there are a few issues with the graphics rendering: when loading a game in unscaled mode, it displays at the top left corner until you enter and exit the menu once (then it centers correctly).
When scaling, it doesn't maintain the GBA aspect ratio. Proper scaling should leave two 13 pixel black borders above and below the scaled image if my calculations are correct (presuming it scales the 240 width to 320).

What are the latest official and unofficial versions? Which one is preffered (for speed and stability)?

cappuchok said:
Was there ever a new gpsp release to fix the deafening default volume setting and increase the amount by which the volume changes at each volume key press?

Additionally, there are a few issues with the graphics rendering: when loading a game in unscaled mode, it displays at the top left corner until you enter and exit the menu once (then it centers correctly).
When scaling, it doesn't maintain the GBA aspect ratio. Proper scaling should leave two 13 pixel black borders above and below the scaled image if my calculations are correct (presuming it scales the 240 width to 320).

What are the latest official and unofficial versions? Which one is preffered (for speed and stability)?
I hope, these anoying glitches will be fixed some day but afaik the GPSP development is a little bit dead since nearly a year. ^^""" I'm sure the mentioned problems are all easy to fix and I would do it if I could but I'm not a coder. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Exo mentioned somewhere that he has been working on gpsp off and on. Right now he is probably focused on temper, but maybe in a few months he will decide to make a new release of gpsp. *crosses fingers*

naples39 said:
Exo mentioned somewhere that he has been working on gpsp off and on. Right now he is probably focused on temper, but maybe in a few months he will decide to make a new release of gpsp. *crosses fingers*
That's pretty much it. gpSP on GP2X was a very rushed and incomplete port. Now that I have Temper out I'll probably just surgically transplant its GUI into gpSP some time, when I'm ready to resume working on it (if my GP2X still works, right now I'm not even sure if USB works anymore, and if I lose that the thing is worthless to me -_-)

Of course I'm much more interested in optimizing it more.

EDIT: If anyone wants to fix those three bugs be my guest. I trust the coders here, and they would be trivially to fix as well on my end when the time comes.

Exophase said:
That's pretty much it. gpSP on GP2X was a very rushed and incomplete port. Now that I have Temper out I'll probably just surgically transplant its GUI into gpSP some time
Nice, gpsp works quite nicely on the GP2X. Would be great to have a faster access to the games.
Temper gui is really efficient and would be a very good addition to gpsp.

Also it always starts in unscaled mode and with a small display on the upper left of the screen ; even if it's set to full screen scaled mode and exit that way properly.

When I go to the options menu it already shows as full screen and after returning back to game it displays full screen as it should ; it 'remembers' it in a way

Is this also a known issue ?

Already an great emu but with a simple and nice menu and with a few bug fixes it would really shine I think

Glad too see a new topic about Gpsp after some time :)

I tried and failed to fix the Zelda: Minish Cap lockup bug near the end of the game, but if someone wants to have a go at it, I can send them a save state right before entering the fatal room.

pder said:
I tried and failed to fix the Zelda: Minish Cap lockup bug near the end of the game, but if someone wants to have a go at it, I can send them a save state right before entering the fatal room.
I know what caused that in the PSP version (lots of debugging hours), but I thought I fixed it for the GP2X version (0.92x-b, and I've heard that people beat it.. I think. Are you loading a savestate from a previous version?

Exophase said:
I know what caused that in the PSP version (lots of debugging hours), but I thought I fixed it for the GP2X version (0.92x-b, and I've heard that people beat it.. I think. Are you loading a savestate from a previous version?
I did not load a savestate from a previous version. I played the game from the beginning using gpSP from the zip archive named gpsp09-2xb_2.zip

Exophase said:
That's pretty much it. gpSP on GP2X was a very rushed and incomplete port. Now that I have Temper out I'll probably just surgically transplant its GUI into gpSP some time, when I'm ready to resume working on it (if my GP2X still works, right now I'm not even sure if USB works anymore, and if I lose that the thing is worthless to me -_-)

Of course I'm much more interested in optimizing it more.
Sounds good. The volume thing annoys me to no end, and it'd be nice if the graphics centering/scaling issues can be fixed. A better GUI sounds nice too... maybe also make craigix's RAM timings the default (it's not now if I've read other posts correctly)? Does it use MMUhack, by the way? :D

cappuchok said:
Sounds good. The volume thing annoys me to no end, and it'd be nice if the graphics centering/scaling issues can be fixed. A better GUI sounds nice too... maybe also make craigix's RAM timings the default (it's not now if I've read other posts correctly)? Does it use MMUhack, by the way? :D
Yeah it uses mmuhack. I didn't want to make craigix timings default because they make things less stable for me at high clocks. Once I ditch that front end thing and make those part of the configuration that can be per-game like in Temper it'll be much less of a headache.

Per-Game-configs sounds great. :) Advance Wars runs at 200MHz but for Metroid and Sonic Games you need much more boost.
And RAM-Timings could be controlled with GMenu2x to. I can use 266MHz and high RAM Timings. Well, as long the CPU-Tweaker-thing at startup is removed from the game, I'm fine. maybe some day, these strange ROM-specific configs vanish to so I can play EU games with same speed as the tweaked US games. :)

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but in TV-Out mode on Gpsp, when you are playing in unscaled mode everything looks really flat, but looks ok in full-screen mode(except for overscan on many TVs making some things unplayable) and was wondering if this is a common issue or what? Also Mario Golf Advance Tour doesn't work. It gets to the screen where it asks you to enter your name, but right before you can enter anything it resets into the GBA bios screen and hangs there.

At least the sound incrementing is easy done ( Ive done it many month ago). I didn'T find the anything related to the "initial dislocation" of the unscaled image. I got rid of the CPU setter aswell. I use gmenu2x to load a rom directly and set the cpu speed from Gmenu2x.

Reading how harsh Exophase was about other coders releasing his code I PMed him 2 month ago. but got no answer. If its Ok for him I could upload the binary to the archive or something.

I have to say, that ATM I am not able to compile it :( (tried it some weeks ago. I may look into this the next day if there is really a need for the fixes. I may attempt to find the "initial dislocation" thing agian. It is annoying me aswell.

On a side note: The downside of using Gmenu2x is, that the battery LED with it. I guess it does something to the driver/interrupt or what ever which manages the LED, cause Gmenu2x uses it to display loading activity. Does anybody know how to disable this useless feature? Loading takes 2 or 4 seconds. There is no need for such an indicator (when you lose the funtionallity of teh battery LED for that).

edit:
I just want to make clear, that teh "could not compile ATM" is the reason I won't give teh source code I have ATM away, cause I am not sure if it contains bugs introduced by me. However, teh binary is ready on my SD. And as exophase said, teh changes are so minmal that every coder could fix it. :)

Creature XL said:
At least the sound incrementing is easy done ( Ive done it many month ago). I didn'T find the anything related to the "initial dislocation" of the unscaled image. I got rid of the CPU setter aswell. I use gmenu2x to load a rom directly and set the cpu speed from Gmenu2x.

Reading how harsh Exophase was about other coders releasing his code I PMed him 2 month ago. but got no answer. If its Ok for him I could upload the binary to the archive or something.

I have to say, that ATM I am not able to compile it :( (tried it some weeks ago. I may look into this the next day if there is really a need for the fixes. I may attempt to find the "initial dislocation" thing agian. It is annoying me aswell.

On a side note: The downside of using Gmenu2x is, that the battery LED with it. I guess it does something to the driver/interrupt or what ever which manages the LED, cause Gmenu2x uses it to display loading activity. Does anybody know how to disable this useless feature? Loading takes 2 or 4 seconds. There is no need for such an indicator (when you lose the funtionallity of teh battery LED for that).

edit:
I just want to make clear, that teh "could not compile ATM" is the reason I won't give teh source code I have ATM away, cause I am not sure if it contains bugs introduced by me. However, teh binary is ready on my SD. And as exophase said, teh changes are so minmal that every coder could fix it. :)
Do you also removed the CPU-tweaker from startup? I really want a "clean" GPSP. :)
The Gmenu2X problem with the Battery LED is, Ryo couldn't make this feature enable for the Menu. Afaik he had no clue how make a working Battery LED in Gmenu so he used the LED as Loading/Saving indicator.
I think it shouldn't be a problem to include the Battery-Level into GPSP directly. Some Emulators have this feature, SquidgeSNES for example. Would really help because I had gaziilions of GP2X-deaths right into the Game-Action. Because I used GPSP alot while I was playing the METROID games, I had many bad battery-deaths during gameplay. So a working Battery-Warning would be superb! :) Fixed Volume-level, correct Fullscreen aspect-ratio etc. to of course. ^^

fusion_power said:
Creature XL said:

edit:
Do you also removed the CPU-tweaker from startup? I really want a "clean" GPSP. :)
The Gmenu2X problem with the Battery LED is, Ryo couldn't make this feature enable for the Menu. Afaik he had no clue how make a working Battery LED in Gmenu so he used the LED as Loading/Saving indicator.
I think it shouldn't be a problem to include the Battery-Level into GPSP directly. Some Emulators have this feature, SquidgeSNES for example. Would really help because I had gaziilions of GP2X-deaths right into the Game-Action. Because I used GPSP alot while I was playing the METROID games, I had many bad battery-deaths during gameplay. So a working Battery-Warning would be superb! :) Fixed Volume-level, correct Fullscreen aspect-ratio etc. to of course. ^^

Furthermore the indicator in general is pretty pants. I tend to remember ED: RYO asking what it could be used for and it was decided that it would be nice to know when writes were taking place to avoid SD corruption (switching off when writing.)

PokeParadox said:
Furthermore the indicator in general is pretty pants.
Sorry, I am not sure if I go this correctly. Do you want to say that the battery LED is not working as it is supposed to be? I once asked about the LED in the forum here and some1 said, it never worked. therefore I assume you want to say the same.

For me it works! I am playing alot of RPGs on SNES or GBA and I used to make savestates every 5 minutes or after "hard" parts of the game. All because of the LED not working e.g. warn me before the batteries die. Some month later, I played a GBA game without starting it from Gmenu2x and.. teh LED worked. Since then I only play without Gmenue2x.
It works like explained in the following (decide for yourself if that is the functionallity you want):
When the red LED is switched on, the batteries die after 1 to 5 minutes.

Just found the src code for gmenu2x and had a quick peek (looks well structured :)). I have found the locations in the code where to change the LED usage. I will try this out later (I hope I can build it).

Well you might be lucky... for me the LED has never indicated accurately the status of my batteries. Sometimes it lights up 5 minutes after putting some freshly charged batteries in and I continue to play for a good 2 hrs...
If it actually works for you, I'm glad, but for myselg and many other, then it doesn't serve it's primary function very well.

Back