Gpsp Strange Problem

Optimus

Website
optimus.untergrund.net
I am not sure why nobody mentioned that (I think so since I searched for other messages on gpsp)

I was on the previous version and all went fine. In the latest (0.92 iirc) the games play as if the fastforward is always on. More than the original speed (and the sound is high pitched). This was a feature of the older GPSP where you could map a key to enable/disable fastforward. It was cool for passing long intros in games (as in Metroid where you can't skip the intro). But in 0.92 it seems like it's always on. And then I map a key for fastforward and when I pressed nothing changes (except from FAST FORWARD flashing for a little somewhere in the upper left quarter of the screen). Also, the key for ShowFPS doesn't seem to work.

It's like there is something wrong with mapping and fastforward is always clicked on. Was quite fun to play castlevania aria of sorrow in fast forward for a while (high pitched female like voices ;)) but it gets annoying not to be able to play in normal speed. Someone mentioned in a forum that overclocking makes things go faster, but it's not a matter of timing, it's a matter of the fast forward not working and maybe always being on.

It's strange because I don't see anyone speaking about this problem somewhere in the comments or in the forum and it's an obvious and common bug that doesn't let you play normally, so I thought it would be mentioned. Are there others with this problem?

It doesn't have a (working) frame limiter right now, so you'll have to use a lower clock speed to try and get it as close to normal speed as you can and hope most scenes play out at about the same speed.

I've had problems with the latest version of Gpsp for Caanoo aswell. Though I haven't noticed games sped up the clock speed in the setting always defaults to 700 no matter how many times I set it back.

That's strange. The previous version was working.

However, maybe it's a bug. I just tried to underclock to 533. Everything went too slow (it shouldn't since the emulator performance is sometimes x1.5 or x2 at 700, so why would it be much much worse in 533?). Then I changed the settings back to 700 and everything worked ok, I mean normal, not even faster than it should. The thing is that fast forward key and fps display key still don't work, which were working in last version. I don't think the time limit is not enabled, because it was in the past version, and now I accidentally made it work right again. I will try to reproduce the fix if it ever gets wrong again.

533 is the stock speed, which is what the previous version ran at. This latest version added the overclocking feature which allows the emulator to run fast enough to really notice the problem. I mentioned this to ZX-81, the last person to work on GPSP, when it was released.

For now you'll just need to find a CPU clock that is the best middle ground for a specific game.

someoneElse said:
533 is the stock speed, which is what the previous version ran at. This latest version added the overclocking feature which allows the emulator to run fast enough to really notice the problem. I mentioned this to ZX-81, the last person to work on GPSP, when it was released.

For now you'll just need to find a CPU clock that is the best middle ground for a specific game.

That might not be true. The previous version had correct timing. The reason? There was the Fast Forward mapped key. If you pressed it, the emulation went as fast as it could. So, even with no overclocking, this key showed that it can really go 1.5x or 2x depending on what's going on in a game. If you released the button, you got normal 100% speed no matter what.

What do the developers of this emul say? I think it's a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back