Gpsp

Hey Exophase &/or Notaz,

I understand both of you are likely busy, so if this is asking too much I totally understand. I wanted to start playing mario golf on gpsp today and when I got to the screen where you are supposed to choose a player, the rom kept resetting to the Gameboy Advance logo screen. I was HOPING that because it just resets (rather than crashes the emulator) that maybe it's an easy fix?

Again, I don't presume you guys will fix this, I was just hoping that if you have a minute, maybe you can look into it. And thanks again for all your help.

Oh and if you guys can't or won't fix it, is there a way for me to import a save from visual boy advance from the pc? The game plays fine there, so if THAT's an option, I'll take it. I just really want to play this game again. :D

Cheers,

Jason

Camelot games rape the system with self modifying code, and gpSP for GP2X/Wiz is probably not very good at handling it. You should try disabling sound in-game (in the setup menu on the title screen) - that MIGHT allow you to go further. I remember hearing about it before, and it makes sense given that a lot of the self modifying code is in the audio kernel.

Exophase said:
Camelot games rape the system with self modifying code, and gpSP for GP2X/Wiz is probably not very good at handling it. You should try disabling sound in-game (in the setup menu on the title screen) - that MIGHT allow you to go further. I remember hearing about it before, and it makes sense given that a lot of the self modifying code is in the audio kernel.

Aw that sucks that Camelot has wonky code... They made some AMAZING games for GBA... Anyway, thanks for the quick response Exophase. I just tried disabling the audio. It still resets. Oh and I also have tried both zipped & unzipped, and both the US and EUR versions. All reset at the same spot.

So is there any way to import a VBA save file?

Last edited by a moderator:
Save game file yes, save state no. To import the former just rename it, although this won't always work for some reason(s).

Exophase said:
Save game file yes, save state no. To import the former just rename it, although this won't always work for some reason(s).

Thanks for all the info. Exophase... I just played through 20 mins in Mario Golf on VBA (so I could save regularly) only to find out that every time I try to save in the menu, the game says "Could not save data."

I guess that means importing a save is out of the question also. Oh well... :( Thanks again for your help.

btw pokemon emerald, ruby and saphir doesn't work with gpsp, too :)
You get a white screen on start and you have to turn off the wiz

momosxp said:

Did you include game_config.txt?

Exophase said:
momosxp said:

Did you include game_config.txt?
That, and you need a "*.sav" file (which is the game save) in there as well, apparently.
It happened to me on the GP2X and could only run those games properly when I included the .sav generated by VisualBoy Advance on my PC. Just rename it to the same name as your ROM.

I hope it works.

It doesn't work with the sav file, either.
I tried to rename it to .cfg, too.. but still white screen and back to wiz menu

Umm... supposing that your ROM is called something like "pokemonemerald.gba" you renamed the .sav to something like "pokemonemerald.sav", right? I mean conserving the .sav extension?

i didn't touch it. It's still in the same folder as the gpe file.

tried this now and same result :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndToHUWDDKo

Game Code: BPED
Vendor Code: 01

edit: Tried US Version -> White Screen :(

I've finally started making good use of Gpsp to play a favourite, Megaman Battle Network 3, and i've noticed some sound problems with the emulator.

Namely, one of the sound channels seems to be out of sync, making some of the music sound a little discordant at times. It seems to gradually get worse the longer that I play the game. I've been leaving my Wiz on standby on the Gpsp Menu from time to time too. Exploision sound effects also don't play properly, the game often likes to play them in quick succession, but you can only hear the sounds stopping as the new sound is started.

By the way, you know what would be a nice feature? Adding the touch screen as an additional button. That way you could designate the touch-screen to open the menu, freeing up one of the system's buttons.

So other than that, fantastic emulator, the speed is always near-perfect after some configuration, I hope the speed picks up at some point. :)

Yes, I think that there are gradual synchronization issues between the digitally sampled audio and the Gameboy Color audio channels. It's not something I ever looked into much beyond initial development, unfortunately (I struggled with it a lot at first but seemed to fix it, or so I thought)

It probably happens when the game turns sound off then back on. So if you want to do a test for me you could try sitting it somewhere for a long time early after starting it up and see if it still gets out of synchronization.

"When the game turns sound channels off"... yeah that definitely sounds like what Battle Network likes to do on occasion.
I could test it, but all I could do is say if it desyncs, not give a detailed bug report. :\

RupeeClock said:
"When the game turns sound channels off"... yeah that definitely sounds like what Battle Network likes to do on occasion.
I could test it, but all I could do is say if it desyncs, not give a detailed bug report. :\

Could be useful. It shouldn't really be when individual sound channels go off, but when sound turns off entirely. Like when you go from one area to another, some games will turn off digital output then turn it back on. The timing for this is sort of a hack since the emulator normally expects to be putting out a constant stream of digital data to match the PSG generated data. It bumps up an index to try to match the timestamp difference but there could be something breaking in this - it also doesn't help that the timestamps are only 32bit so it can only handle like 4 minutes of silence. It's also possible that it's not handling wraparounds correctly, I guess.

Probably some design choices to keep in mind for a rewrite if I do one.. maybe put together some test ROMs to try to nail this down.

Well I did notice something else entirely helpful.
Resetting the ROM fixes the desync, if but for a short time.
That's using Gpsp's internal reset function and not the standard soft-reset most GBA games have.

RupeeClock said:
Well I did notice something else entirely helpful.
Resetting the ROM fixes the desync, if but for a short time.
That's using Gpsp's internal reset function and not the standard soft-reset most GBA games have.

If you can very systematically reproduce this problem from the start then we'd probably have something useful for diagnosing it more correctly. A process that demonstrates the desync predictably every time.

Would be especially useful if I ever do a GBA emulator that has movie recording or something like that.

The Emu seems very good, but in Wario Land 4, when you've to come back at the begining of a level, I think that the GBA uses a graphic mode that slows the emu. :(

I hope It will be fixed in further version.

Thanks again for you work!!!

Back