Great deal on Play.com

Assuming the Pandora's host port can provide enough power. I've heard these things can be a serious drain, to the point of making the Pandora do weird things.

I've seen the weird behaviour with a 2.5" LaCie drive (don't use them, people! :p ), but I don't know whether it would also apply to a 1.8" one.

If this works, it's a good find. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1.8" drives should use a great deal less power than 2.5" ones - at least, my iRiver has one in it, and it runs for hours off a (five-year-old) 1300 mAh battery.

Too bad people in the US can't buy from that site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why wouldn't it?
No reason. Transcend a good brand? If so, I might buy it before it's suddenly out of stock. Pity it's blue though... maybe I can paint the bottom half black so it's not an eyesore when it's plugged in, haha. :D

Transcend is usually good, yeah.

To answer your question, of course it'll work in the Pandora. The class simply gives the minimum sustained write speed the card can handle. When you insert an SD card, a device can ask the SD card what class it is, and then choose to reject it if it's not fast enough: things like HD video cameras would need a class 10 and would reject everything else, while an HQ audio recorder might need a class 4 and reject a class 2.

The higher classes can, of course, still be written slower; the class makes the assertion that if you need to write X MB/s, it will accept it with no problem (where X is the class).

The Pandora has a theoretical max r/w speed of 24MB/s (under perfect conditions that don't exist), and has seen real world usage of 15 and 16MB/s, which is faster than the class 10.

That being said, a class 10 is probably way overkill. As you are probably aware, cards have been known to consistently write at speeds higher than their class. If you were to get a class 6, you might find it has no problem writing at 10-15MB/s most of the time. The difference between a class 6 and a class 10 is that, occasionally, the class 6 may need to drop down to 6MB/s, while the class 10 claims it will never drop below 10MB/s: this is good for high speed video recordings where frames would be lost or worse if it can't write fast enough, but on the Pandora, you're looking at differences of microseconds.

Back