Grieving For The Gp2x

Been 24 hours since I got the news, an emotional roller coaster ride as it starts to sink in. May no

• Denial, they wouldn't dare, must be a mistake or something!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anger, damn those filthy bastards and flame everyone.

• Bargaining, let's talk to them, we can change their mind. How much do they want?

• Depression, I don't care anymore, screw the gp2x, pandora and the freerunner are coming out.

• Acceptance, It's dead Jim, I'm ready for whatevers next.

• Total voters

Sphinxter said:
quasist said:
XGP will reborn as G3PX
Too lazy to google, what's an XGP?

Exactly what I mean when I say a bunch of you haven't been here long enough and don't know jack.

The XGP was another gamepark machine that orignally was going to be pitted against the gp2x. It was being created by the original people from gamepark, before the split into GPH. It never even made it past the planning stages really, as the project was abandoned and they went bankrupt.

I think that's it at least......it has been a while sinch anyone even mentioned the XGP.........Anybody??

Edit: LOL, I'm the only person in denial!! I clicked denial, and it said 1!!!! I'm the only one!!! sniffle'

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
By the time my ultimate project, if it ever does get finished, is finished, the GP2X would have been long dead anyway so hey I cannot complain.

I'm not too bothered at all. These things come and go every couple of years and it's only common sense to accept the fact that one machine will be replaced by something else and not supported forever.

Having said that though, I got my F200 three months ago or so, and I had hoped for it to be around a bit longer, but that's the way it goes.

In the meantime, I have a pretty cool handheld with plenty of emulators to keep me busy for a while (and I can't see that alot of people suddenly stop developing for it). And what's more important, over the last 18 months or so I've developed a library geared towards remaking classic games. Since it sits on top of SDL it should be easily ported to the GP2X. Which gives me the opportunity to playtest my own creations wherever I go.

So no, I'm not too worried at all.

It will never die! NEVER!! :unsure:
Nah seriously how many games can this thing play?! I dont think i will ever get bored of it..even when/if the Pandora arrives ^_^

The machine itself isn't dead - it's only the 'scene' that's going to change. My GP32 still gets used - it does some things better than the GP2X. I'm sure there will be certain things on the GP2X which will be better than the Pandora alternatives...

Gruntfuggly said:
The machine itself isn't dead - it's only the 'scene' that's going to change. My GP32 still gets used - it does some things better than the GP2X. I'm sure there will be certain things on the GP2X which will be better than the Pandora alternatives...
Just out of curiosity, what does it do better than the GP2X?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, what does it do better than the GP2X?

The gameboy emulator is better (IMHO) and for a lot of games, the stick works better. I much prefer playing Doom on the GP32...

There are also a few homebrew games that never made it to the GP2X (AFAIK) such as Lacuna.

Also the GP32 clone of Rogue is excellent...

Just got my F200 about a month ago though I've had a first edition f100 since the beginning. I decided to buy my f200 so late in the game because even though I figured the GP2X was reaching the end of its active production phase I knew that there were still a veritable mountain of games, emu and other apps for this wonderful little device that I would play for a long time coming. As my f100 is getting a little natty I wanted to make sure that I could still enjoy the GP2X. I'm also quite hyped for the Pandora and hope to be one of the first 3k, but the GP2X is still great. As a sort of odd comparison I still play my GBAsp quite a bit even though I have a DS, so I don't think that stopping the production run on the GP2X will bother me too much.

To paraphrase a bit...

The GP2X is dead. Long live the GP2X!

p B)

When I heard it was discontinued, I went out of my way to buy one.

:D :gp2x :D

Everyone seems psyched about the Pandora, so I wonder if anybody will even bother with an intermediate device. Actually, let me rephrase that. I wonder if a decent crowd of people will bother with an intermediate device. No doubt a couple guys will buy the latest and greatest whatever toy from whomever (I bought a JXD 301 myself).

More than likely, the iPhone/iPod Touch will keep enough people busy until a device as epic as the Pandora arrives.

Well said pariah!
Ive only dipped my toe into the water of games i want to get around to playing on this machine..
Will keep me happy for a long long time yet! :D

Back