Grips?

Ocean112

Are there any plans for a set of grips for the Pyra? Every small device I own I either have to buy or print something like this to let me use it for any extended amount of time. My digits aren't as nimble as they used to be.

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

I don't need or want grips for long term use. If my hands are cramping it is time to take a break.

Also, since the main reason I wasn't a Pyra is for when I am out, running around, it needs to fit in my pocket. The grips wouldn't work for me there, as I either won't have them or won't be able to fit them in my pocket with the Pyra.

I know this isn't an intended use, but I plan on using it on a desk/table sometimes, like I do with my Pandora. Grips would get in the way, and possibly make it sit awkwardly, or fall over. They would be a bit of a hassle for me.

There are probably other people that would like grips also, so maybe they will reply and you guys can get together and make something that can be printed. If so, consider adding space to have some of those battery banks.

Last edited:
I don't need our want gross for long term use.

IIRC, Grench recommends using a lanyard around the wrist with the Pandora, and keeping a lighter grip so as to avoid our grossing long term use. might be helpful also with the Pyra.

Damn autocorrect. Lemme go back and fix my post again.

I prefer a lanyard or wrist strap. I made and use a couple on my Game Boys (pocket, color, and advance). I don't have one on my Pandora. I was a bit worried that it might break the case if I dropped it, and I would end up with a chunk missing near the lanyard hole and whatever damage was caused by the drop. I will probably add one to my Pyra as soon as I get it. I keep attempting to come up with a plan to put some form of tether on my stylus for those dummy moments.

A tripod socket might have been useful.
There are lots of accessories out there to attach cameras to pretty much anything.

If so, consider adding space to have some of those battery banks.
If I do end up having one printed, I'll probably end up doing that. I'll have to look into it, but I'm assuming the charging circuit accepts ~5V@2.4A? It wouldn't be any problem to leave space in the handles for a couple of 3.7V cells and either a small vreg circuit or add some leads and a flex cable in the battery compartment. A couple of diodes later and there should be no problems I figure. Generic charging boards for the grips should be easy enough to pick up on adafruit.

IIRC, Grench recommends using a lanyard around the wrist with the Pandora, and keeping a lighter grip so as to avoid our grossing long term use. might be helpful also with the Pyra.

I got involved in the Pandora discussions just in time for them to request that they add that little loop hole to the molds.

When I asked for a lanyard strap hole in the case the immediate reaction was to call me nuts for wanting to wear the Pandora hanging around my neck. Good times.

Anyway, I use the wrist strap I got for free on a $5 flashlight in a check out line. I lost the flashlight years ago. The strap saved my Pandora on multiple occasions and gives some confidence to one-handed use. I'm glad ED included a lanyard/wrist strap notch on the Pyra design.

So far I haven't even heard the idea of grips crop up in the community. So it is very unlikely anything is planned.

Personally I consider them to be an anti-feature for pretty much the same reasons as rygD mentioned.

I just want something that I can clip on for long trips, really.

I just checked out the blender file, and while it's in a great spot for you right-handers (just like that stylus), I'll probably get some use out of it as well. I never noticed that before.

When I asked for a lanyard strap hole in the case the immediate reaction was to call me nuts for wanting to wear the Pandora hanging around my neck. Good times.
I remember reading that. Not sure if it was back when I was lurking during the early days, or after I joined a couple years ago. Either way, thanks for asking for it. I am also glad ED included it on the Pyra.

I just want something that I can clip on for long trips, really.

I just checked out the blender file, and while it's in a great spot for you right-handers (just like that stylus), I'll probably get some use out of it as well. I never noticed that before.
Perhaps, once 3D printing matures a little more, you can print a left hand friendly bottom part of the case to make it a little more friendly. I am probably wrong, and too lazy to check, but I think some of the lanyard holes on GBs are on the right side, and I don't have problems with those (although I am not shifting my grip much, and there isn't a touchscreen or ports for adding and removing stuff while they are running).

Ah, I hadn't noticed the lanyard notch until Grench pointed out that it exists. That makes me much more confident that I can keep my Pyra safe on the go. I've taken my DS (and now 3DS) everywhere, and the Wiimote strap I use has saved both devices countless times on the bus or when I'm waiting on a train platform.

Who knows. I might even have it cnc'd if I want it badly enough.
Serious question: what material?
[doublepost=1463087219,1463087125][/doublepost]
Ah, I hadn't noticed the lanyard notch until Grench pointed out that it exists. That makes me much more confident that I can keep my Pyra safe on the go. I've taken my DS (and now 3DS) everywhere, and the Wiimote strap I use has saved both devices countless times on the bus or when I'm waiting on a train platform.
I wish I had a handful of the straps from the original DS with the little thumb nub thing for the touchscreen.

I wish I had a handful of the straps from the original DS with the little thumb nub thing for the touchscreen.

Hmm... You could connect an M3 dart tip to a lanyard strap by just running a short screw through the strap material. Essentially the same tip and same/similar/shorter screw to what I used on the RHS.

Serious question: what material?
Probably polycarbonate, the same thing the rest of the case will be made of. It's quite possible, I've seen it done before with a low rpm spindle. About 50 rpm if I remember right.

Either that or PET-P

Edit: Way off, it was 45 ipm @ 10k rpm. I knew that was way off after I wrote it.

Last edited:
The M3 dart tip might be functional, but it's not the same as the DS thumb strap. It's basically a small, slightly curved plastic pad that sits on the tip of your thumb. It lets you use your big, squishy thumb, but still have a hard point of contact, so you can know exactly where the device will register a touch. It doesn't stick out like a dart tip would.

I do like the M3 dart tip idea, though, since then I'd still be able to see what I was tapping that the same time. I'll have to try it out.

The M3 dart tip might be functional, but it's not the same as the DS thumb strap. It's basically a small, slightly curved plastic pad that sits on the tip of your thumb. It lets you use your big, squishy thumb, but still have a hard point of contact, so you can know exactly where the device will register a touch. It doesn't stick out like a dart tip would.

I do like the M3 dart tip idea, though, since then I'd still be able to see what I was tapping that the same time. I'll have to try it out.
A thread for your reference then: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/stylus-ideas.75005/

It was a fun journey. I'm looking forward to getting a Pyra so I can try out the RHS on it as well.

Before some smart ass chips in - yes, I'm looking forward to the Pyra for uses beyond whether or not I can use my homemade stylus with it.

Yes, the lanyard strap is a good idea. i'll be getting one for my pyra. I cannot afford 745.00 euros of equipment to break on the floor. I'd cry man tears.

Back