Guitar Hero 2 Bricking 360's!

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon said:
Doesn't seem to take much to brick a 360.
Ain't that the truth... Mickeysoft work awfully hard to keep the number of returns secret. I would have bought a 360 on three different occaisions now, but every time I decide to do it I go to the XBOX forums and there's some wave of issues that Microsoft are trying to soft-pedal while hundreds of people post complaints on the forum - which makes me lose faith in the platform once again and I put off my purchace... As things stand now, I've decided to wait for the 65nm process systems to be released later this year - maybe by then they'll have things tweaked out so that a simple firmware update won't be able to push their hardware into a 3-ring seizure!

What's really sad is that Microsoft are ignoring the number of people who will move into "grey-market" mods like mod-chips and custom flashwares because their XBox360 got fried by one of MS's updates - I mean, given the choice of spending $125 sending the console back to Mickeysoft for a replacement that could just as easily toast out on me with the next update, why wouldn't I mod my 360 to bring it back to life and then run copies of games burned from rentals rather than go out and buy them? A lot of people they mess up with shoddy hardware are going to say screw it and do just that...

jimid2 said:
nickspoon said:
Doesn't seem to take much to brick a 360.
why wouldn't I mod my 360 to bring it back to life and then run copies of games burned from rentals rather than go out and buy them? A lot of people they mess up with shoddy hardware are going to say screw it and do just that...

if i knew that when mine messed up, id have modded it..... it took them 3 weeks to pick the thing up, then 2 days to get another one to me. I too am dissapointed with having to pay for music that was in guitar hero 1, especially after you fork out £70 for the game in the first place, same goes for capcom and their lost planet online map packs, theres no way id pay for them. next time i play gh2 i just wont sign in to live,i dont fancy killing another 360

Yup the 360 is pish. My m8s kept comin up with the unable to read disc with gears of war then he noticed lots of scratches on the disc. He was able to get it replaced for free since it was less than a year old. Then the other day was over at another friends house we put his 360 on to play gears of war and it kept coming up wioth unable to read disc then with teh red lights then it started workin again but then teh unable to read disc again. looked at the disc and there was loads of huge scratches in perfect circles round the disc.

They only got it at christmas so they shoudl be ok. I Was telling them ah well at least mine is ok no problems with mine had mine since the christmas before so mine is out of warrenty. I get homw stick gears of war on works fine turn it off to go get my dinner. After dinner switch it bakc on and i get teh 3 red lights :eek::O eventually it worked again but later i got the 3 red lights again. Its been ok for a couple of days now tho so i dont know if its fucked or not ?

CABBAGES, that was same with me, i sort of put up with 3 red lights now and again for a few weeks until it just wouldnt even boot up, we're currently having bets at work who's will f**k up next :p

well i can get mine to work sometimes but if i turn it off then back on its the red lights again. I phoned them and got through to some pakistani call centre (im not racist) They said somethin about a "needing a serial number" i said "well its actually over a year old" he said "well what is the serial number" i said "will i have to pay anything ?" he said "yes you will have to pay at leats £78" i said "aye right". I said " all my friends xboxs have had the same or similar faults but they were within a year."

I said " there is no way im paying for something that you already knew was faulty and that they shoudl have replaced all xboxs once they found the problem." Then he Said "Im sorry i understand but i cannot help you and all teh supervisors are in a meeting" I said "well when should i call back ?" He said "in around HOUR ( like saying it with an H liek hower) and one half"

Ive not phoned back yet and that was yesterday but i might go phone them again now.

If it's out of warranty anyway you can open it up and see if one of the heatsinks is not properly on. If that is the case you should go buy some heat sink paste and put the heatsink back on properly.

HAHA i phoned them again today was talkin to this guy for ages tryin to tell him im not paying to get it fixed no matter what. He said i woudl need to pay then i finally got onto a supervisor and within seconds he was offering to fix it for free :p just waiting for the ups stickers now :)

EDIT: If anyone else is out of warrenty dont give up just keep tellin them how you know it is a known fault that they should have fixed before they sold it :p and tell them how you are such a good customer and have bought loads of games and stuff. And dont let them say anythin about paying just telll them you are not paying eventually it will work :p

Nice :D

You could also threaten to take them to court as its a known problem and all 360's should have been recalled to have the problem fixed etc when you think about it... If nothing works tell them you will get rid of all your Microsoft stuff and go with Sony instead. Then go on to say you were thinking about buying Vista but now because of the poor 360 support you will go with Linux instead ;)

It's part of UK Trading Standards that if your equipment has an inherent manufacturing fault that you did not cause, it is the retailer's obligation to replace it for a 6 year term after purchase.

just incase anyone is interested i got a replacement xbox in the post today :p. So my xbox was 4 or 5 months out of warrenty but i still got a new one for nothing :D

CABBAGES said:
just incase anyone is interested i got a replacement xbox in the post today :p. So my xbox was 4 or 5 months out of warrenty but i still got a new one for nothing :D
But you DESERVED to get it free, because the problem is solidly Microsoft's - shoddy manufacturing and shoddy design make the failure rate on 360s to date appalling!

The harddrive in my first XBox died 103 days after I bought it - 13 days after the warranty expired. I had played it for about 20 hours at that point, maybe (my daughter had been hospitalized for months just after I bought it, and we went through a long period where no one was ever home). I spent hours on the phone with different customer service reps arguing about it, but ultimately they would not see reason and replace the HD for free; in fact, they wanted to charge me 2/3rds the cost of a new XBox for the repairs + shipping!! I said screw it and modded my box, and I haven't given Microsoft a dime of my money since - not for games, not for their crap OS's, not for their bloat-ware office products, nada! Screw 'em - they wanted to act like I'm liable for their crap hardware and screw me over for a couple hundred bucks, and they threw away thousands of dollars in lost sales... Anyway, it sounds like they've learned their lesson, and the 360 has enough cool games that I'm willing to give MS another chance, but I won't take the plunge until they have a handle on the hardware; I'm not interested in arguing with a bunch of first line support drones from Bangladesh again... :p

Back