Harware extention system for mk2 Pandoras?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Edit:

This is not a change the Pandora now thread.

This is not a turn the Pandora into a netbook/smartphone thread.

Please look at diagram below!

The mk1 Pandoras look great and I'm not even a gamer.

I far as I can see these are a few of the key points about the Pandora:

--> great for portable gaming (old games mostly)

--> multi-purpose

--> Hackable

--> large battery

--> portable

And a couple of problems:

--> Some people want hardware it doesn't have (and would make it cost more etc).

--> It takes quite a while developing stuff with a small team and a small budget, meaning it becomes out of date before production (in some peoples eyes) .

and another great thing:

--> No complaints about disk space, 2 SDHC slots to read huge/tiny SD cards (if you want them)

<Mad idea>

Build mk2 Pandoras with a couple of expansion slots containing access to maybe usb + i2c in one and usb + the gpio pins in the other or something.

you could have two types of cartidge:

self contained ones (fit inside the slot) e.g gps acelorometer, fm radio, usb hub, extra/different sockets (maybe for old game controllers)

backback ones (larger, adding thickness to the pandora) e.g extra battery (if the expansion slots take up space used by the main batery, adaptors for old game catridges (on-the-go rom ripping or just playing directly, or optical disk drive.

This would make it more hackable, more up to date and would expand the niche

pandora_expansion_tall.gifPlease click on image! (yes the bottom pic is smaller than the others, spread over both thickness and width)

</Mad idea>

I reckon that the 3 most common responses below will be:

(hardware dev) "that's really complicated and no-one would ever build the cartridges"

(person pocketing Pandora) "that would make it huge for add-ons I don't want"

(1st day orderer) "that was discussed for the mk1 pandora and the are 10 reasons not to do it in the deepest corners of a disused forum, stuffed into a tarball with a sign saying beware of the trolls on the front page"

If those people say that correctly, please excuse this newbie :mellow:

discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, this is simply not possible. It would require significant changes to thecase of the pandora and *every* change there takes *many* month for going through testing to see if it works and if the case is still stable enough. Beside this there is simply no space in the case. Beside this don't underestimate the costs related to this. Any change to the casis costs several grand.

That's why I said MK2 Pandora.

That's in a few years time when the current models successor is being designed.

MK2 != Batch 2

My take: No space available in current form-factor. Expansion cartridges, their sockets, connectors and control circuitry would take a heap of space. Making the case bigger would make it a different product for different needs.

Guess this counts as "that would make it huge for add-ons I don't want"

persistent ? alert!

How big would a slot have to be to fit a single purpose pcb of a few years time?

We already have i2c and usb in the MK1 as these are buses (kinda), how much extra control circuitry would be needed?

How much space do the sd cards hog?

Edit, added rough diagram to first post:

pandoraexpansiontall.gif

I see two easy possibilities:

A: get a small usb-hub, build a case the size of the Pandora around it, and stick it to the bottom of the Pandora. Doesn't need any change to the existing Pandora. You could also integrate the 2 additional shoulderbuttons into it.

B: shrink down the battery a bit, and put an usb-connector in the battery-compartment. Big enough for a usb-stick.

Or even combine them, so there's nothing sticking out the back.

Could do, but it wouldn't be as neat as the space being made up for with a slight increase in all dimensions.

However if you resorted to sticking a case extension on the back of the Mk1, there'd be room for a whole extra battery for 20h of full use; maybe even 200h 100h audio playback! (for them as don't like to shave with their electronics)

Eat That, Apple! :D

A neat little cartridge slot would be better though.

Back