1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Hatari 2.0

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by Magic Sam, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

Hi all !

In order to watch one of my colleague's latest demo released at Alchimie 12, I compiled a recent version of Hatari 2.0 on the Pandora :)

https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/

Grab it on the Repo while it's hot:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hatari-magicsam

/!\ N.B: You'll need a tos.img file in appdata/hatari-magicsam/share/hatari for this emulator to work /!\

If you don't have any, you still could give EmuTOS a try:

http://emutos.sourceforge.net/en/

What's new in build #1 ?

- Thomas Huth et al. Hatari 2.0 (latest commit on November 11th, 2017)
    - Compiled with @ptitSeb 's latest beta Code::Blocks (GCC 7.2)
    - Uses SDL 1.2 instead of SDL 2.0
    - Source code is in the PND

TODO:

- Recompile with support for IPF files ? http://www.softpres.org/download
    - Make the python UI work ?
    - Automatically download EmuTOS when no tos.img found ?

Known issues:

None at the moment, but I'm completely new to the Atari scene, so please let me know if something is not working correctly, and I'll do my best to fix it ASAP.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    Tags:
  2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Thanks for a new build of this. It seems to run fine, although as yet I've not got a tos.img that it will accept. I tried a v100 and a v206 tos, and a 206 that was working with skeezix's old hatari 1.40.

The MD5es of my TOS files are:
    tos100.img d0f682ee6237497004339fb02172638b
    tos206.img e690bec90d902024beed549d22150755

The one I had working with the old 1.61 was probably the 206 one there, as I don't have a record of any other versions on my main machines, but I've not checked.

It says 'could not load tos.img' when I start it, IIRC.

3. Magic Sam

Hi all,

@levi : thanks for giving this a try, it's really appreciated :)

Everything is working fine on my end with TOS 1.62 (US) in appdata/hatari-magicsam/share/hatari:

pandora:/media/Pandora1/pandora/appdata/hatari-magicsam/share/hatari$ md5sum tos.img
    febb00ba8784798293a7ae709a1dafcb tos.img

Could you double check both name and path please ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

4. levi

Ah, so it needs to go inside pandora/appdata/hatari-magicsam/share/hatari, rather than the root of the specific appdata folder, or a 'firmware' folder or something. That's unusual, and a little tautological, but you did say that above now that I look. And that works with every tos I've tried on it.

I managed to get two games I've got to work; Buggy Boy was straightforward, and I managed to get Mole Mayhem to work once I realised it wanted an STe, and for that I needed a 1.62 (UK) TOS.

It'd be nicer if it remembered the 'default disk path' or whatever it's called that you can set to make finding your discs quicker between sessions. But the mouse implementation in windowed mode is now much nicer versus skeezix's old versions.

I couldn't get any of the demos I tried from pouet.net to work - I downloaded three high scoring ones from this last year, including I guess the one you built this for; glkzilla, but if I mount any of them the system is slow to boot, the disc light stays on, and when I try to access the drive in GEM, it says drive not ready (or the ST equivalent, I forget).

5. Magic Sam

Hi @levi,

I'll change the default directory for the TOS file to a more logical location in a next build :)

Glkzilla works like a charm on my end, could you please give more details ? What other demos did you try ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

6. levi

I tried Glkzilla, Execute and Midnight Sun, all 2017 demos downloaded using the links from pouet.net.

I'm not sure how much more information I can supply. It was clearly trying to boot from the disc when I rebooted the machine with the disc in (a benefit of the 1.62 TOS it seems - 1.00 just ignores a disc in the drive and boots to GEM). I can see the disc light is on and the sector numbers are changing. On eventually entering GEM the numbers have frozen and the drive light is stuck on, and I can't access the contents of the drive by double clicking the drive icon.

Is it worth me checking the pndrun.out?

7. Magic Sam

Hi @levi,

This is what I did to get Glkzilla running (from an empty appdata directory):

- Start hatari a first time to create appdata/hatari-magicsam directory
    - Hatari will warn you about the missing tos file, press OK.
    - Press F12 to go to the menu and quit Hatari without saving
    - Copy a valid tos.img file to appdata/hatari-magicsam/share/hatari
    - Restart Hatari, it should find the new tos.img file, the screen will go white.
    - Press F12, and go to Floppy disk.
    - Browse to the directory where Glkzilla is and insert it into drive A:
    - Go back to the main menu, select "reset machine" and hit OK.
    - The demo boot screen should start, hit ENTER
    - Enjoy !

I hope that helps :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

8. lordbobjones

lordbobjones Member

Woot away from my pandora. Cannot wait to get home and try! Thanks so much!

Magic Sam likes this.
  9. Magic Sam

Hi all,

@lordbobjones : thanks for the kind words, it's really appreciated :)

@levi : I hope the procedure I gave you this morning works. I noticed the emulator does frameskip a little at 600 MHz. I'll see what I can do about it ASAP.

Cheers, Magic Sam

10. levi

Thanks for the continued support. MagicSam. I got glkzilla working in the end. The trick seems to be once I click on the glkzilla.zip and it opens it up so I can see the contents, is to click ok there. If I look around inside the zip and open up a subfolder before clicking on okay it won't load and after you eventually get into GEM, the A drive doesn't respond. I'm not sure why it offers to look inside zips to be honest, since it doesn't seem to work on anything I've tried and after you click 'okay' it just shows the zip filename as if you hadn't been poking around inside, so it's unclear that it should behave any differently.

FWIW, I can't get Execute or Midnight Sun to work. Midnight Sun opens up to a FDD and HDD directory, but if I click on the FDD folder then okay it I get an inaccessible A drive, and if I just stop at the top level of the zip it tries to boot it but fails - I don't think I checked the A drive after that.

One other feature request from skeezix's old versions - in those he'd reconfigured the emulator menu to pop up when you press start, which is easier than the two presses to hit F12 on Pandora. His version also starts up in a smaller window that fits the Pandora's desktop perfectly, but your fits the screen perfectly once I press F11 to go full screen. It might be preferable if it started by default in full screen so the menus don't go offscreen meaning you need to move the window around using the shift modifier, but I guess that's something I can configure myself if I save the settings.

I also tried The Dark Side of the Spoon demo which was shipped with Skeezix's old emulators. It runs in your emu with much less tearing on my GHz Pandora, although there still is some. That disc is in .st format, so that works as do zipped discs like the demos I downloaded

11. Stainy

Stainy Well-Known Member

Thanks MagicSam :) I installed it and realised I have two now... did Skeezix or something do a version ? I had a HDD version also.

12. levi

Yes, @skeezix made a 1.4 release and a 1.6 release. I currently have three* hatari's installed on my system, which may be excessive as I've not yet found anything his versions can do that MagicSam's can't.

Oddly, if I look on the repo today, skeezix's version from 2012 claims to be version 2.0.2, but PND manager doesn't seem to have picked up on that and upgraded me to it. It's also something of a mystery why I have both 1.4 and 1.6.

FWIW, you can also enable a HDD in this version, but you have to create the file initially on the linux side. I'm not experienced enough in driving an ST yet to be sure I know how to format it correctly either - I'll need to do some testing on that I think.

*four if you count the HDD and non-HDD versions on 1.6.