Haters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grndslm

Still Fresh
Those of you who have been frequenting this site for a year or more in anticipation of this device need to take a chill pill when it comes to those who have just learned about this device. No one is as perfect as you.

GunPei2X said:
No, sir, you did not. You came on here with grandiose design changes professing to know better than the developers, yet didn't even take the care to determine what was currently in the device beforehand. I would call that arrogance.
Yes, I did ask that question for a response. Three people scream at a n00b like they should have read every word of this entire site. Piss off!! I took the care to determine what I came across, and the images that I found... I wasn't hear to change Pandora 1, but the future of Pandora. Nobody is setting up time limits as far as I know, so quit telling me when I can offer my suggestions & when I can't.
Snu said:
cant we all just get along?
i keep thinking of the main pandora website where it says 'ultra portability without sacrificing capability'.
pandora is simply whatever you want it to be! stop arguing if its first a game system, or first a pda, that will be defined by the software you put on it and how you use it, not by the hardware itself! even the 'open' in openpandora refers to this.
and to the original poster, the devs have stated that there will be no more major revisions to the hardware (ya know, the faq should really reflect that, im thinking...). i like the idea of the raised keys, but the possibility of using pandora in a tablet mode has been discussed to death, and unfortunately shot down from every angle (this is the reason why some people here are rather uptight about this topic...).

I wish that the FAQ would be revised to explain that this is a gaming device first, that has no interest in optimizing key placement & overall device functionality. That one link to the patents would have been VERY helpful if placed inside the FAQ toward those suggesting previously patented ideas.

Why not challenge the patents and say that it's blatantly obvious this could have been thought of, because I just thought of it?

Heck... why not pay the patents to get one of these clamshell devices to turn into a tablet?? I'd be willing to pay the extra $$$ for sure.

You could triple the devices sold if it could be turned into a tablet-only device. It's the future. Traditional clamshells with touchscreens with these funky input setups are NOT the future. You could gain a much broader market if you tried, but if you want to do the bare minimum with no hassle... so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope you're wearing a fireproof suit, because I'd wager you're going to get flamed to high hell for this. But I'll try to be civil, having just joined relatively recently as well and preferring to avoid Internet fights. It's not just you. This forum has seen a lot of tension recently, especially between the gaming device vs UMPC crowd. Many people are also getting restless, as they want more official news updates. There has, however, been a lot of threads started by people who have just joined asking to make major design changes. Especially when those ideas have been discussed countless times and conclusions reached. For the person who just joined, it's "Hey, everyone check out this idea! Isn't it awesome?", but for the people who've been here a while, it's "FFS... not this shit again..." The time for major design changes is long gone, the design now is pretty much finalized. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to rotate the screen and use it as a tablet. But it's not going to happen.

I wish that the FAQ would be revised to explain that this is a gaming device first, that has no interest in optimizing key placement & overall device functionality. That one link to the patents would have been VERY helpful if placed inside the FAQ toward those suggesting previously patented ideas.
The problem with that seems to be the lack of a consensus as to whether it *is* a gaming device first. That's what it started out as, but now it's not so clear. To me it's just semantics. It will be very capable for both purposes, and I think the developers have struck a good balance between UMPC capability and gaming capability.

Why not challenge the patents and say that it's blatantly obvious this could have been thought of, because I just thought of it?
Money. Ain't that always the reason. The Pandora developers can't afford to have a costly legal battle against whatever large corporation holds the patents.
You could triple the devices sold if it could be turned into a tablet-only device. It's the future. Traditional clamshells with touchscreens with these funky input setups are NOT the future. You could gain a much broader market if you tried, but if you want to do the bare minimum with no hassle... so be it.
The Pandora was not conceived or designed for a mainstream audience. I don't presume to speak for Craig and co, but I don't think that's their main focus now either.

I encourage members to read the original thread, it was pretty damn comical. (unintentionally?) I'm hoping for his sake, that the threadstarter is a troll.

Here's a good question, why don't YOU go out and take the huge risk required by a small party in order to take on such patents all the while investing a good bit of time, effort, and money in a product that hinges on a lawsuit against a multi-billion dollar company. Oh wait, I forgot, you don't have the skill, time, money, patience, or half the IQ required.

You came onto this forum, and basically dis-respected the entire community. I agree that a tablet form-factor would have been nice, but jumping in and acting as if you deserve some sort of respect is blatant arrogance.

Hence the problem wasn't your suggestion, but rather the manner with which you suggested them, along with your own reaction to how the communty behaved, which as far as I can tell, was quite civil until YOU started being even more of a jerk about it.

Also, by starting this thread, you have un-officially labeled yourself as a troll.

Yes, it's a gaming focused forumed, there are immature self-rightious ppl who will jump down your throat. That's the internets. Threads like that should just die from unpoularity. If we've seen it a million times before, why do we bother posting? I guess we're bored and have nothing else to do except flaming some newbie spamming threads.

BigTruck said:
Money. Ain't that always the reason. The Pandora developers can't afford to have a costly legal battle against whatever large corporation holds the patents.
Patents are created to create revenue for the original inventor. Not to mindlessly sue people.

Some kind of agreement would need to be reached, like 50c a unit. I think this is what grndslm was saying.

Megamixman said:
You came onto this forum, and basically dis-respected the entire community.

Hence the problem wasn't your suggestion, but rather the manner with which you suggested them, along with your own reaction to how the communty behaved, which as far as I can tell, was quite civil until YOU started being even more of a jerk about it.
Gladly point me to the part where I disrespected another person. I did nothing but offer a couple suggestions, and five people say "this is a gaming device... these controls have been thought thru by Jesus himself". My reactions were just. Look thru the thread if you must.

Megamixman said:
Also, by starting this thread, you have un-officially labeled yourself as a troll.
You call me a troll, I'm a man with a goal. As long as the right person hears what I have to say, I'm OK. Bottom to Top management is what Open Source was supposed to be all about, right?

The fact that my thread was CLOSED instead of moved to a more suitable location proves that this community has other goals and isn't open to ideas.

grndslm said:
Megamixman said:
You came onto this forum, and basically dis-respected the entire community.

Gladly point me to the part where I disrespected another person. I did nothing but offer a couple suggestions, and five people say "this is a gaming device... these controls have been thought thru by Jesus himself". My reactions were just. Look thru the thread if you must.

Megamixman said:
You call me a troll, I'm a man with a goal. As long as the right person hears what I have to say, I'm OK. Bottom to Top management is what Open Source was supposed to be all about, right?

The fact that my thread was CLOSED instead of moved to a more suitable location proves that this community has other goals and isn't open to ideas.

Look you little rat, the pandora's hardware specs and build are locked, and any patent infringing ideas are damn right stupid. The pandora ships in about 3 months, oh wait lets let some forum noobie walk and make a giant design change "Sorry guys 6 more months, oh whoops were vaporware!"
Seriously stop bringing this up, just shut up and wait for the pandora like the rest of us.

icurafu said:
Patents are created to create revenue for the original inventor. Not to mindlessly sue people.

Some kind of agreement would need to be reached, like 50c a unit. I think this is what grndslm was saying.
Yes... I'm trying to say you challenge the patent for being blatantly obvious (requires no lawyer, but a logical person indeed). If you fail in court, then pay the 50c a unit for a better design than clamshell-only. This is what I'm trying to say... sales would increase in multiples if the design could be changed ever so slightly. It's time that this project look at things with a profit & loss statement while the all (or at least the majority) of the hardware remaining OPEN!!

babamthegrunt said:
Look you little rat, the pandora's hardware specs and build are locked, and any patent infringing ideas are damn right stupid. The pandora ships in about 3 months, oh wait lets let some forum noobie walk and make a giant design change "Sorry guys 6 more months, oh whoops were vaporware!"
Seriously stop bringing this up, just shut up and wait for the pandora like the rest of us.
My intention is to discuss optimum hardware for ANY version of Pandora. Not to sit idly by and wait for whatever the GPXX crowd wants today.

Pandora 1 is gonna be released regardless of what *I* want, so what don't you let me get my say in on Pandora 2?? The idea of you guys being so threatened by me is quite flattering. I didn't know my ideas were that great.

grndslm said:
Gladly point me to the part where I disrespected another person.
Well, you called me arrogant (thus my reply above) and told someone else they either couldn't read or were Republican.

Dude, you haven't listened to a word people have told you. We went through the entire design process in a very open way several months ago! It has been *settled* and is moving into production as we speak. Your thread was closed because we see one or two of these every damn week saying exactly the same thing, and all of them are pointless... thus they just turn into flamewars.

You already said you're not interested in the Pandora because it isn't a tablet, and fair enough, so why are you sticking around to troll?

babamthegrunt said:
^ The pandora was never about the money man, it was about the community.
You want to be a business adviser, go somewhere else

I never said jack about money. I'm interested in the best device. I think that's what everybody here is interested in, and *that* is what's gonna build the best community.

grndslm said:
Yes... I'm trying to say you challenge the patent for being blatantly obvious (requires no lawyer, but a logical person indeed). If you fail in court, then pay the 50c a unit for a better design than clamshell-only.
Wait, are you serious? You don't think you need a lawyer to challenge a patent? When you say "If you fail in court," I hope you realize the cost of reaching that point of failure could well be several hundred thousand dollars?

grndslm said:
Those of you who have been frequenting this site for a year or more in anticipation of this device need to take a chill pill when it comes to those who have just learned about this device. No one is as perfect as you.
Not everyone who's been here over a year is as much of a jerk as ... um, as those who are being jerks. But there definitely are those who want all the newbies who aren't a part of "the scene" (whatever the hell that means) to take a hike. I, of course, am not a part of "the scene" despite joining the forums over a year ago - despite owning several retrogaming devices - despite being a gamer since I was old enough to hold a controller. I'm not "retro" enough - or "indie" enough - or "games only" enough to be cool.

I actually want the device to do more than play the same games my other 4 handheld game consoles can already play.

And, despite owning said game consoles, I don't spend my life gaming 24/7. I want it to be a useful tool, as well as an entertainment device.

But because my interests (Pandora Forbid!) are something other than "Homebrew" - I'm an outsider.

That's fine. If being a part of "the scene" means being an asshat to anyone which a different perspective, count me out. And, if the more outspoken True Believers on here are to be followed - that's what it takes.

That being said. I don't think the few screamers speak for the majority of the people here - not even for the majority of gamers here. There are very nice people who really want a new more powerful game system, and don't care much about the UMPC aspects. I like those people.

Also - the whole bit about "What are those round things?... we could move those to the side I guess..." That was rubbish. It really was dumb to start redesigning a device without knowing what it does or what the parts are. The suggestion about a tablet mode - I totally get. I wish that were possible, too. But it's not. The rest of it, sliding things around without knowing what they are or what they do... WTF, dude. Seriously - W T F?

At the very least - don't expect to be taken seriously or warmly received when you start talking about stuff you openly admit you don't understand in the slightest.

^Your idea isn't great, your turning the Pandora into the opposite of what it is meant to be. We don't fear you, infact we find you to be an annoying cancer on these forums; leave or shut up.

GunPei2X said:
Well, you called me arrogant (thus my reply above) and told someone else they either couldn't read or were Republican.
It's true... for the bystanders, look back at his thread and he wildly claims that I'm interested in removing the analog joysticks. Every post in that thread was as far away from what I was trying to accomplish, and it's because people here want Pandora 1 in their hands NOW, and they really think I'd delay that.

GunPei2X said:
Dude, you haven't listened to a word people have told you. We went through the entire design process in a very open way several months ago! It has been *settled* and is moving into production as we speak.
I'm sorry that you are so ahead of the times, and that I'm soo NOT ahead of the times, and therefore can't participate anymore. Why don't you post where you could benefit the community more??

GunPei2X said:
You already said you're not interested in the Pandora because it isn't a tablet, and fair enough, so why are you sticking around to troll?
I am interested in further revisions of Pandora, so I believe I will be sticking around. No thanks to you.

Seriously, we need a Pandora video or something, so we can all be "Oooh... shiny!" and be amazed together and forget we hate each other, if only for a little while.

GunPei2X said:
grndslm said:
Yes... I'm trying to say you challenge the patent for being blatantly obvious (requires no lawyer, but a logical person indeed). If you fail in court, then pay the 50c a unit for a better design than clamshell-only.
Wait, are you serious? You don't think you need a lawyer to challenge a patent? When you say "If you fail in court," I hope you realize the cost of reaching that point of failure could well be several hundred thousand dollars?
You challenge the patent before Pandora 2 is produced, goofus!

Pandora 1 is sorted out, you challenge the bogus patents for the production of Pandora 2.... what's so hard about this? No lawyer is needed. You'll more than likely lose without a very logical person, but it wouldn't cost that much to challenge the patents of things you'd like to include in future devices.

BigTruck said:
Seriously, we need a Pandora video or something, so we can all be "Oooh... shiny!" and be amazed together and forget we hate each other, if only for a little while.
Gazes at my new Eee PC... Ooooooooh... Shiny!... Plays Mob Wars on facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back