GP2X Head Over Heels Port To Gp2x

xpan

Still Fresh
hi.

"Head over Heels" used to be one of the best games ever released for ZX81 platforms.

There is an excellent port for linux which can be found at this address:

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-overview.php?link=hoh

it runs great and smooth!

Is there any chance that it can be ported to gp2x?

(I now run it on caprice amstrad emulator, but I wish there was a cool gp2x port) :)

I am sorry.

I thought that for evey free linux program its source code is available... :(

Have you seen the Knight Lore remake for GP2x by DigitalJez? It is a superb remake, better than the existing PC Knight Lore remakes. DigitalJez did say at one point he was considering using the engine to remake Batman and Head Over Heels too, but putting the graphics and rooms together is a hugely time consuming task. After finishing Knight Lore, he was maybe not so motivated to start on a new game, and there would be some extra work required to handle the Head and Heels characters.

So it may not ever happen, but DigitalJez is probably your best hope for seeing a good remake. If you set the keys up properly, the original does play very well on GP2xpectrum.

WhizzBang said:
Have you seen the Knight Lore remake for GP2x by DigitalJez? It is a superb remake, better than the existing PC Knight Lore remakes. DigitalJez did say at one point he was considering using the engine to remake Batman and Head Over Heels too, but putting the graphics and rooms together is a hugely time consuming task. After finishing Knight Lore, he was maybe not so motivated to start on a new game, and there would be some extra work required to handle the Head and Heels characters.

So it may not ever happen, but DigitalJez is probably your best hope for seeing a good remake. If you set the keys up properly, the original does play very well on GP2xpectrum.
yes I tried it. Unfortunately for some, unknown to me, reason I get a "game over" screen as soon as i press '0' to start the game... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
xpan said:
"Head over Heels" used to be one of the best games ever released for ZX81 platforms.
Um. I think you'll find that the ZX81 didn't have anything like the horsepower required to run Head over Heels :)

Maybe you were thinking of the Spectrum?

D.

xpan said:
yes I tried it. Unfortunately for some, unknown to me, reason I get a "game over" screen as soon as i press '0' to start the game... :(
I never had this bug but several people have reported it. Some people said they got around it by putting the file in the root of their SD card. Anyway, a newer version has been uploaded in the last week or so that fixes this, I think.

That remake looks like a lot of fun. Any chance of asking the devs for sourcecode? Maybe it can be done even if we do not have the required hardware. There is always a chance of optimizing the code to an extent that will make it feasible.

xnopasaranx said:
Maybe it can be done even if we do not have the required hardware.
It ran on a 48K spectrum. A version, with some of the rooms simplified, even ran on the C64. I read somewhere that the GP2X Knight Lore is clocked at 80Mhz so it appears that the isometric game format is not that demanding.

I imagine the only reason the retrospec version is so large is the high resolution graphics that are no use to the GP2x anyway.

The Head over Heels map is over double the size of Knght Lore(299 rooms/ 128 rooms), but the Knight Lore .gpe is tiny (1.77MB) and that has all gfx/sound included. Even if it was three times as big it would still come in at under 5MB - smaller than many in the archive.

Speed and size are not an issue - but I don't think we will be seeing the lighting effects if it ever does materialise.

Is it possible a member is already on the case ? - see here.

WhizzBang said:
Fawny Kate said:
Is it possible a member is already on the case ? - see here.

That looks like a dead link to me. What did you see there?

The whole site seems to have gone since I posted that 3 hrs ago. It may be temporary as other associated sites are also down.

It was a very old page of homebrew and one of them was Head over Heels. But it had a dead link, whereas, all the others had their own page.

It was just interesting more than hopeful.

Dunny said:
xpan said:
Um. I think you'll find that the ZX81 didn't have anything like the horsepower required to run Head over Heels :)

Maybe you were thinking of the Spectrum?

D.

I used to play that game on an Amstrad CPC 6128. Didn't this machine use a ZX81 processor? Or am I totally wrong?

(PS: http://www.cdworld.co.uk/craig/ seems to work fine at the moment...)

xpan said:
I used to play that game on an Amstrad CPC 6128. Didn't this machine use a ZX81 processor? Or am I totally wrong?
Z80.

The ZX81 was a Sinclair computer, also based on the Z80 CPU. The 6128's CPU was clocked a little faster, and it also came with a "massive" 128K of RAM vs the ZX81's 1K :)

loved HoH on c64. i remember the first time I got them to meet up! whoo. took a long time for me to beat that game

Wow that goes back a long way, I did indeed write a HOH engine on the PC but I could not figure out how the rooms were stored in the HOH original game and there was no way I was sitting and making 299 rooms.

I even emailed the original HOH author to ask if he remembered how the rooms were stored but he didn't answer. I guess someone figured it out for the more recent remake.

Back