Headphone jack on P2

What function for the fourth pin on Pandora 2?

• Microphone input

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Composite output (TV)

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
I'm just curious what people would prefer for that fourth pin on the headphone connector. P2 is most likely not going to contain an internal microphone. It didn't appear to be a big feature on P1 and my hardware selections are based on what stays, what goes and what will be new. Note that HDMI output is guaranteed but the processor in question has composite output as well. Whichever feature is not brought out to a connector will be available on pads on the PCB if possible.

Thanks.

This is a tough choice... but I think that a microphone should be available either internal or as a jack for audio chat. Actually, if the P2 had a front-facing camera, that would be great for enabling video chat. I suspect that the beefier CPU as well as better internal wifi in the P2 will make audio/video chat much more viable than it was for P1.

Microphone input, needed for chat communications. By the way why is the P2 not going to contain an internal microphone ? That's one cool thing on the P1 which would really shine if we had more voice-chat software...

The microphone should be kept by all means. The problem with he current setup is that it is not easily usable from the software, I don't know why, but most apps can't find and use it easily. In a Pandora 2 it might become even more used as that might have the power to do some nice audiostuff and games/emulators that have a use for it.

The fourth pin should be for an external microphone though so you can use headsets with a four pin jack.

Keep audio with audio and do some thing nice for video, maybe an additional mini headphone jack.

I hope it will be a given that Pandora2 can output digital video.

yep, I find it important to keep the mic for VoIP stuff. A second audio jack for a seperate mic would be neat but not necessary.

And maybe a ceap camera on the back side for scanning QR-codes and possibly Virtual Reality? : D

Note that HDMI output is guaranteed but the processor in question has composite output as well.
Too bad, I had hoped for a DisplayPort (as it is more versatile).

Voted for the microphone input, as I see more usage scenarios for it.

But I think a reconsideration should be at hand here:

Especially with a working Android as OS choice a lot of people would miss it. using for skype n'stuff young people use to communicate nowadays

Mic input definitely. As hdmi out is a given (as you say)... We will need a way to pickup / record audio. I'm assuming we will *at least* have as good quality audio hardware in the P2 as we have in the P1... So I realy hope there will be some effort put into making the P2 a strong (if not the best) competitor in the portable DAW department. An internal mic is nice and convenient, and if it doesn't affect the cost toooo much and there is space for it, it should definitely be left in... regardless of the fact it wasn't used much in the P1. If you are definitely taking it out, then Mic input is an absolute must have.

Noob question: Is there such a thing as an HDMI to Composite adaptor? If so, there really is no reason whatsoever to have Composite as the fourth pin, except convenience... And that convenience certainly isn't worth the huge potential and functionality that is lost by not having Mic input.

Just to clarify:

Mic. Input + Internal Mic > only Mic. Input or only internal Mic.

Mic. Input > Internal Mic. (Though I'm sure this is up for debate... Personaly I feel the option to use a high quality Microphone (or headphone/mic combo) > the convenience/limitaion of only having the Internal Mic.)

Mic. Input > Composite + Internal Mic.

But this is just my opinion. I would be interested to see how closely my preferences mirror the preferences of the rest of you guys?

I don't know what is the best option ...but please don't remove the internal mic from the Pandora 2 and please mantain (or improve if possible) the good quality of the audio

I already would be happy with the internal Mic on the P1...but it is just not working. Dead, broken. And It would be sooo useful with Mumble. :(

So better an working Microphone jack than a non working internal Mic. I know you already can plug in a Headset/Mic to the Pandora 1, I just need a fitting adapter, my own Headset has 2 separate 3,5mm plugs.

My 2 cents - it'd be worth keeping a composite out option if the retro-gaming angle is still a priority. Naturally, HDMI suits for all tasks with a modern screen, but the legacy output would allow the unit to also connect to old hardware, including displays that would be of the era of many emulated systems.

My 2 cents - it'd be worth keeping a composite out option if the retro-gaming angle is still a priority. Naturally, HDMI suits for all tasks with a modern screen, but the legacy output would allow the unit to also connect to old hardware, including displays that would be of the era of many emulated systems.

Oh for sure. But would you rather have Composite than Mic. Input?

Especially as: If you have an older set, you can get one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011411&p_id=8667&seq=1&format=2

Last edited by a moderator:
It is more versatile because it has 3 (or is it 4?) distinct outputs on it. That might be ok in a desktop, but supporting each of those requires space. We're basically getting DVI-D data for "free" with the SoC, adding the additional stuff to fully support DisplayPort would increase what MWeston has to put into the system.

Because DisplayPort is backwards compatible with DVI, we could use the physical DisplayPort to save royalty costs, but the royalty for fewer than 10'000 units is up to $2 (or less, assuming you produce at least 5000), and an adapter is likely to cost that anyway. May as well go straight to HDMI.

edit: oh yeah, and I voted microphone. Much more useful in my opinion. HDMI has already surpassed composite inputs and I can only expect it to reduce further in the next couple of years. Microphones aren't likely to be replaced any time soon though.

I wonder if there's a way to have it detect whether a normal microphone/headset cable has been plugged in or a "proprietary" Apple one and switch the ground pin automatically. Or at least a physical switch so the user can do it themselves?

I'm just curious what people would prefer for that fourth pin on the headphone connector. P2 is most likely not going to contain an internal microphone. It didn't appear to be a big feature on P1 and my hardware selections are based on what stays, what goes and what will be new. Note that HDMI output is guaranteed but the processor in question has composite output as well. Whichever feature is not brought out to a connector will be available on pads on the PCB if possible.

Thanks.

Retain the mic input for use with the in-line headphone cable remotes - if anyone ever builds an interpreter for it.

However - something else entirely comes to mind too.

Mechanically, a speaker and a microphone are the same thing. If you take a small speaker and plug it into a microphone jack - you can record through it.

How about either a software or mechanically controlled relay/switch that turns the stereo headphone jack into a stereo mic jack? You could do the same with the on-board speakers - or even do it one channel at a time if you want to use it as a telephone/skype-like device.

Mechanically, a speaker and a microphone are the same thing. If you take a small speaker and plug it into a microphone jack - you can record through it.
True, but a speaker isn't designed for this.. and generally it takes a lot more air pressure to push the cone of the speaker, so everything recorded sounds muffled and distorted.

Not saying your other idea of switching from playback to mic mode isn't a bad idea..

It is more versatile because it has 3 (or is it 4?) distinct outputs on it. That might be ok in a desktop, but supporting each of those requires space. We're basically getting DVI-D data for "free" with the SoC, adding the additional stuff to fully support DisplayPort would increase what MWeston has to put into the system.

Because DisplayPort is backwards compatible with DVI, we could use the physical DisplayPort to save royalty costs, but the royalty for fewer than 10'000 units is up to $2 (or less, assuming you produce at least 5000), and an adapter is likely to cost that anyway. May as well go straight to HDMI.
As I don't know which SoC is currently undergoing evaluation (do you?) and my knowledge about the acutal implementation is limited, I can't tell (what do you mean exactly when you write "outputs" btw. ?). But regarding versatility I was more looking in the "extra Channel" direction for applications like USB Extensions and sorts.

True, but a speaker isn't designed for this.. and generally it takes a lot more air pressure to push the cone of the speaker, so everything recorded sounds muffled and distorted.

Not saying your other idea of switching from playback to mic mode isn't a bad idea..

The muffling and distortion you describe isn't actually all that bad.

I've tried back feeding headphones through a stereo mic jack and hooking up 4" full range speakers into them as well. It works. Is it the quality you'd get from a Sennheiser stage mic on an XLR connection? No. Is it as good as the little can mic behind the keyboard on the Pandora? Pretty close.

Makes me think - If someone has a spare set of Pandora speakers from repairing a failed video cable, they could hook that up as a mic input through the existing headphone/mic port and try it.

I wouldn't expect 'high' quality, but 'functional for voice' might be adequate for on-board speaker/mic switched function units.

If you want to 'make recordings' use a pro XLR mic on an adapter through the USB port or a snoball. (IMHO)

Does someone have a spare Pandora speaker lying about and the will to give it a shot?

Is the impedance within range that it isn't going to mess anything up?

Between the two, I'd say keep mic and ditch composite out; ie: weighing purely on value of those two ..

- some people may finmd a use for mic; coudl be hugue, or maybe entirely ignored

- composite -- how many people use composite for TV-out, com,pared to svideo or HDMI?

I _assume_ composite is not much used, but I coudl be very wrong; I think that is where your answer lays; if a lot of people use com,posite, it coudl be more important.

jeff

I would like to see a knock-out panel at the back of the P2 with through-hole solder pads suitable for 1mm pitch pcb headers, allowing access to all the random SOC outputs such as composite video

Back