Heads Up!!! Warning!!!

Hwrd

Website
Visit site
I have a weakness for these TV game things, and pretty much bought all the arcade/console ones so far. They are generally "port boxes", not emulated nor running on the original hardware. That's not too bad, as long as the hardware used is at least superior to the original hardware (i.e., they can easily port).

I just bought the Konami TV game (produced by Majesco), and it is horrible. The hardware used is NES compatible, which means the sounds are worse than the original sounds, and the graphics are muddy looking compared to the originals.

FROGGER - plays fairly well, looks okay, sounds wrong, wrong music

TIME PILOT - looks totally wrong, plays wrong, probably flickers after too many planes onscreen due to NES sprite limitations (can't say for sure since I turned it off pretty quickly BECAUSE IT SUCKED)

GYRUSS - WTF??? It's exactly the enhanced NES GYRUSS from ULTRA GAMES in the 1980's, not the original version (remember Ultra Games and Nintendo's weird policies?)

YIE AR KUNG FU - NES port exactly

SCRAMBLE - plays fairly well, looks okay, but the sound is wrong
I suspect there was never a NES version to draw upon

RUSH N ATTACK - NES port exactly

This thing would not have been so bad if:

- they stated Konami NES Collection
- did an excellent job porting the other games.

Even if you are a fool like me who basically buys all these things, BEWARE!

PS: The Intellivision 25-in-1 also suffers from being based on NES hardware, which typically isn't a big problem, except for in sports games where it flickers horribly (The INTV handled more sprites per line than the NES)

have you bought any of these?

What can you say about them cos i wanna get one sometime after christmas.

Haven't bought those because I expect they are PAL
(I'm in Canada)

Got the Genesis joystick with Kid Chameleon on it for $24.99 though...
(in the mail anyway)

My experience is that the Jakks units are probably the closest to being like the originals,

The Radica SPACE INVADER unit is the best built,

And the MAJESCO Konami unit is both cheaply built and garbage versions.

(anxiously awaiting the MIDWAY unit)

Back