Help Me Pick A Tv

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
Ok so I have about £200 to spend on a new TV for my bedroom and I've been looking around. It seems that £200 gets you ~22 inch 720p these days, which I was pleasently surprised about. Anyway I've narrowed it down to these three:

Acoustic Solutions

Bush

LG

The only real difference that I can see between them is that the LG has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 where as the other two are 1000:1. Will this make much of a difference?

I also know that the LG has a response time of 5ms but I am unsure about the other two, and that the LG lacks a headphone connection.

I will be using the TV to play PS3 and connect my netbook up to it when at home, so which one should I buy? Or doe's anyone know of a better TV for me?

I've only ever heard bad things about the speakers on lg tv's. Samsung and sony both have really good screens, it's always worth paying the extra.

Well my dad has a 60 inch LG and the speakers seem fine on it. I will probably use external speakers anyway.

I've also found a 1080p LG 22 inch that I might get, here. Or I might get this for a little bit extra. 32 inch does sound good :).

Go with size over resolution. 1080p is a waste on anything smaller than 42" unless you're sitting within five feet of it.

finty said:
Ok so I have about £200 to spend on a new TV for my bedroom and I've been looking around. It seems that £200 gets you ~22 inch 720p these days, which I was pleasently surprised about. Anyway I've narrowed it down to these three:

Acoustic Solutions

Bush

LG

The only real difference that I can see between them is that the LG has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 where as the other two are 1000:1. Will this make much of a difference?

I also know that the LG has a response time of 5ms but I am unsure about the other two, and that the LG lacks a headphone connection.

I will be using the TV to play PS3 and connect my netbook up to it when at home, so which one should I buy? Or doe's anyone know of a better TV for me?

A Sony Bravia 32" would be good. You could probably find one used for that price. As long as it has PC-input it will work with your laptop.

720p is fine for playing consoles such as the PS3 and Xbox 360 (this even has VGA for sharper image) as the games for those are all (or like 99%) 720P anyway. A set with more resolution will only scale it up actually making the games look less sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week bought a 32lg3000 for my son's room - very pleased with it ('hidden speaker system' - sounds okay for tv speakers) - even on a 32" (1366x768) the xbox via hdmi looks stunning :) He now has the best tv in the house as we have a (was top of the range) philips w/s 32" tv (old-skool-crt)- which I wouldn't mind replacing, but remember how much it cost(!!).

Interestingly enough I also a few weeks ago bought a Samsung 19" tv (1440x900) - so a higher resolution than the 32" - I find this weird :)

Both tvs are great - I would personally go for the LG out of the original list.

Well, all those 22" TVs may all 1080p, as they have the same resolution screen and similar features. I know my 22" TV supports 1080p, which is a Tesco branded one.

And 3000:1 Contrast Ratio is dynamic, so in real terms it's the same as 1000:1 anyway; you won't see a difference.

If you sit fairly close to a 22" screen you can notice the difference between 720p and 1080p quite easily.

As for the Samsung panel in the Visitron - pretty much every TV uses Samsung panels.

It's funny, because I see 720p 10" TVs at Target and I wonder "who would buy such a thing", but I assume there has to be a market for stupid. How far away from the TV will you sit, and do you have good vision? I sit far away from mine and have horrible eyesight, so I think HDTV is a waste of time.
Edit: I just realized that my post looks like I'm trying to insult you (I'm not).

Username said:
It's funny, because I see 720p 10" TVs at Target and I wonder "who would buy such a thing", but I assume there has to be a market for stupid. How far away from the TV will you sit, and do you have good vision? I sit far away from mine and have horrible eyesight, so I think HDTV is a waste of time.
Edit: I just realized that my post looks like I'm trying to insult you (I'm not).
Are you sure? I've never seen anything smaller than a 15.4" HDTV. 22" is fine for viewing HD, even to the extent that the difference is glaring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesco's do the UMC 21.6" 1080p, with 1920*1080 pc resolution for £170. I'm not a tv snob so others may find fault but it is both the best quality tv and best pc monitor I've ever had.

Back