Help Setting Up Gngeo

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
I'm having some trouble getting GnGeo to find my rom directory (/mnt/sd/ROMs/NG/). I've tried editing the config file to reflect this, but I get the directory error message. I am using the latest version from the database, firmware 2.0.0, and the emulator is unpacked to /mnt/sd/Emulators/GnGeo2x/

Any ideas?

Here's my config file:
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

langCode=EN

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=./
layoutCode=1

#List of full paths of command line options
cmdLine=./gngeo
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound --samplerate=11025 --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo -r --sound --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo -r --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo -r --sound --samplerate=11025 --cpu_speed=266
cmdLine=./gngeo -d --showfps
cmdLine=./gngeo -d --system=arcade

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
#baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/neogeomvs/
baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/ng/

#File filters
fileFilter=zip

It's lowercase in the config file, but the directories are ROMs/NG/ exactly on the card. I've changed them to roms/ng/ and still get the error.

It's not like Windows.. the names have to match exactly.

There's a frontend for gngeo that might make things easier for you. Search the archive for rage2x.

The way I have it setup is to have the roms folder in the gngeo folder.

Rage2x did the trick, great frontend. Now it's telling me I need some bios files I don't have (and never needed with kawaks), specifically vs-bios.rom. I know this is the original japanese region file, can I just make a copy sp-sp2.sp1 and rename it to vs-bios.rom?

When I do this, the game I tested (Metal Slug 1) runs fine, seemingly at full speed with sound, but the graphics are highly corrupted, even the NEO GEO ID screen. Could the problem be with the rom itself, or is it a bios/emulator issue? The rom works fine in Kawaks 1.46 on my PC.

Any ideas?

Rage2x did the trick, great frontend. Now it's telling me I need some bios files I don't have (and never needed with kawaks), specifically vs-bios.rom. I know this is the original japanese region file, can I just make a copy sp-sp2.sp1 and rename it to vs-bios.rom?
Yes, you can. You can also configure Rage2x ans change the country option to europe.
When I do this, the game I tested (Metal Slug 1) runs fine, seemingly at full speed with sound, but the graphics are highly corrupted, even the NEO GEO ID screen. Could the problem be with the rom itself, or is it a bios/emulator issue? The rom works fine in Kawaks 1.46 on my PC.

Any ideas?
You used an old mslug dump. You need to use a recent mame compatible dump. sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help. Interestingly enough, when I run games with the system set to "Japan" with the vs-bios.rom copied from the european bios, everything is still in english. Is this normal?

Also, are any of the european games censored the way american ones were (ie: no blood in metal slug, no bouncing in kof)?

EDIT: One more thing, I've found some newer MAME compatible dumps and they seem to have fixed my graphics problems, but I still get a strange distorted green screen for a few seconds before the NEO GEO main screen comes up. Is this normal?

EDIT: One more thing, I've found some newer MAME compatible dumps and they seem to have fixed my graphics problems, but I still get a strange distorted green screen for a few seconds before the NEO GEO main screen comes up. Is this normal?

Yeah, this has always happened to me as well. The games still run fine though, so I assume it's just a feature of the emulator ;)

Yeah, "feature." Good to know it isn't just me.

Another question, how do I get "preview" screenshots in Rage2x?

Another question, how do I get "preview" screenshots in Rage2x?

Make sure you read all included readme/txt files with programs, as usually all the info is in there. In this case, it says:

Code:
Q: Where are all preview ?
A: 	You can download all antidark preview here: http://jycet.perso.cegetel.net/programmes/antidark_preview.rar (2795Ko)
	or from Eso Rimmer here: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,1531

(I think I have the Eso Rimmer ones, and they're perfect)

Yeah, this has always happened to me as well. The games still run fine though, so I assume it's just a feature of the emulator ;)
Actually, it's a feature of the bios. It do some internal check of the various memory, including the video memory.

@nemt:
As for region setting and/or censorship, you can try to use unibios. With it, you can freely choose the region.

Where can I find unibios? I haven't been able to find it for download anywhere.

Will it also allow me to set mvs/aes?

I've looked for it extensively on google. I've found plenty of sites explaining how to use it, none with a download link.

Back