Help Shlee write his slides for his hackerspace talk ;)

ShleeDragon

Pro-Catflip
https://slid.es/shleeparadiso/openpandora

I'm looking for 50 amazing things about the Pandora... I'll keep working on this over the next week but I need some hints on topics I should include and some pictures/videos I could attach to my pandora.

Focusing on the linux desktop first and gaming later. Please help me with some slide ideas.

• Firefox/chrome
  • Email
  • OpenOffice
  • VLC
  • Microbe/nub nub
  • PCSX-reARMed
  • Quake 3, Scumm & Residual, 

I could easily just go down the repo and list all of the awesome releases.. that's important but I'm after topics as well as PNDs of merit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might help if you explained the purpose of the slideshow / who / how many you will will be presenting it to.

A few of things I'd include :

Audio Quality

The vibrancy / productivity of the community when compared to user base

C4A

Hackerspaces are normally technical nerds :)

Excellent. I'll add all of those topics.

The vast array of compilers and scripting languages that are available to code on the go.

D.

On gaming side, I'd guess the DraStic and TV link multiplayer thing, like what was impressing people at the Gamescom.

The fact that the distro is a "normal" GNU/Linux distro so you have or can easily install all of the usual tools and libraries for development (gcc etc).

Keyboard that is good enough for actual coding on the go (full ASCII keyboard, pretty efficient too using the shoulder buttons for SHIFT/CTRL etc).

Incredible battery life: add a screenshot of System Info showing 20 hours left ;) . You could charge your phone with it.

ssh or mosh into remote servers, use SOLEIL etc; ideal system admin tool

Use it as a bluetooth keyboard+mouse (with MasterControl).

Easy to over/underclock the CPU (and even the system bus).

Dual SD slots: very future-proof and convenient storage options (compare with phones or tablets that have only a fixed amount of internal storage)

The dpad and action buttons are great, not just for gaming: the arrow keys and pgup/pgdn/home/end buttons are way more intuitive and easy to find than on my laptop.

Super Geometry Dust?

and I for one find the entire Remood gaming app amazing!!

the wallpapers...those beautiful wallpapers.

3 GUI's??

Last edited:
The OpenPandora is the most powerful device of its size albeit it was engineered in 2008?  Physical comparison to things like ds, 3ds, etc may open reader's eyes as to how small it is and yet quite versatile and powerful.

I like the fact that its Open Source. I know thats a given but I didnt see it mentioned yet.

Also, it can be used to emulate x86 even though its only ARM

Also, its foldable so you dont damage the screen when you put it in your bag

The OpenPandora is the most powerful device of its size albeit it was engineered in 2008?  Physical comparison to things like ds, 3ds, etc may open reader's eyes as to how small it is and yet quite versatile and powerful.
Thats nowhere close to true. Its not the most powerful by far (many phones of today are far more powerful - they just dont run an open OS)

I like the fact that its Open Source. I know thats a given but I didnt see it mentioned yet.

Also, it can be used to emulate x86 even though its only ARM

Also, its foldable so you dont damage the screen when you put it in your bag

Thats nowhere close to true. Its not the most powerful by far (many phones of today are far more powerful - they just dont run an open OS)
...But you'll have a cracked case ... just kidding  :D

It's powerful in terms of the software that are optimized for it.  I don't know, but can Samsung S4 play PS1 games in full speed in retroArch?

It's powerful in terms of the software that are optimized for it.  I don't know, but can Samsung S4 play PS1 games in full speed in retroArch?
Not sure what RetroArch is, but I can play PS1 games on my phone fullspeed no problem. I also have a PS3 controller connected to it over bluetooth so I have 4 trigger buttons :p

The fact that Pandora is a unique device with no direct competition. If you want a hand held mini computer with built in gaming controls & hardware keyboard you buy a Pandora.

DraStic's not quite so unique now it's been released on Android, but the fact remains that without the Pandora, DraStic probably wouldn't exist (or at least, wouldn't exist in the form it does today). The community that grew up around the GamePark devices and continues to grow around the Pandora attracts excellent developers, and useful playtesters, and is generally very supportive.

DraStic's not quite so unique now it's been released on Android, but the fact remains that without the Pandora, DraStic probably wouldn't exist (or at least, wouldn't exist in the form it does today). The community that grew up around the GamePark devices and continues to grow around the Pandora attracts excellent developers, and useful playtesters, and is generally very supportive.
I keep meaning to get Drastic on my phone but I keep forgetting. Is it any good?

EssoAir said:
I keep meaning to get Drastic on my phone but I keep forgetting. Is it any good?
It's awesome, just check the reviews on the play store.

Back